Entertainment My TIVO with my Verizon cable card failed at 9:06 pm

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Apr 24, 2016.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Coincidence or Verizon sabotage. I have had Verizon FIOS for almost 5 years. I have a TIVO with Verizon cable card in my den and Verizon set top box in my bedroom. I have never had a cable card issue. I got a new TIVO Roamio over a year ago, transferred my cable card from old TIVO in it. Verizon paired it and never had a problem until today. I was recording 4 different shows including GOT at 9pm and my cable card went out. I don't think this was a coincidence at all. A rogue tech at Verizon who supports the strikers can easily deauthorize cable cards. Think about it. This isn't some random problem that just happened when GOT premiered their new season. The strikers goal is too cause as much disruption as possible. DSLReports which monitors cable services all over the country has on their front page that Verizon is accusing cable workers of sabotaging the system in New York, NJ, Pa, and Mass. Many people use cable cards and have TIVO's which are clearly superior to the Verizon set top box. My set top box is working fine and I am getting all the channels. I called VZ customer service and their automated system is trying to reset my cable card. It's not working. One channel will come in and I switch to another and get an error message.

XuXu likes this.
  2. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    Sabotage. Duh.

3. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    Oh, you think it was just a fluke.

Verizon is accusing the company's striking workers of sabotaging the Verizon network. According to Verizon, most of the instances of sabotage have involved intentionally cutting fiber lines in various locations across New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. Since Verizon's 40,000 union workers went on strike on April 13, Verizon has been forced to pull traditionally-cubicle-bound employees and push them into the field.

[​IMG]
    Though Verizon doesn't appear to have any evidence the twenty-one instances of sabotage were directly caused by a union employee, such acts of sabotage obviously make life harder on these workers brought in to help.

"We will find out who’s behind these highly dangerous criminal acts and we will pursue criminal charges," said Michael Mason, Verizon’s chief security officer, in a statement. “These perpetrators are putting lives at risk and these dangerous acts need to stop,” said Mason.

Verizon is promising a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of any of the culprits. The Communications Workers of America meanwhile says Verizon is refusing to budge in negotiations over a new contract, meaning the standoff -- and service and repair quality issues for consumers -- could continue for quite some time.

4. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    :jj:

I suppose execs stealing from the company is OK though :coffee:

XuXu and Shamrock12 like this.
  5. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  6. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:

:haha: This is why you never let utility workers go on strike, they know where all the shut offs and critical connections are.

XuXu and Shamrock12 like this.
  7. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Oh, I have the same set up, Fios with TiVo.

8. ItsAWholeThing

ItsAWholeThing Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As a person who works in this field you are out of your mind.The cable card and the set top box work on the same frequencies ,if these cards where "de-authorized" a simple call would be able to fix the problem.If they truly where sabotoging things your set top wouldnt be working either.Electronics malfunction from time to time, feel fortunate that this has happened more as i go to many service calls for those cards

9. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I've seen this before, what you need to do is take your TIVO and your FIOS and go fuck yourself.

10. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:

Rockside7 likes this.
  11. ItsAWholeThing

Reputations:
  12. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That blows....

13. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    I'm not saying your not right. There have just been a lot of issues with FIOS Internet since the strike started. The cable card can be de-authorized by FIOS from their center. It's no different than unsubscribing from a premium channel. The card is paired remotely. Years ago when people were using illegal cards for DirectTV they sent out a signal from a satellite to zap the cards. If you pulled the card before the signal was sent the card worked fine. They would not send the signal for more than a short duration fearing that it would damage legitimate cards too. Maybe this was just coincidence but you have 40,000 employees out on the street. There is no doubt that there are people pulled from other departments who sympathize with the strikers and hope that VZ customers have so many incidents that the company realizes they have to make concessions.

14. Wangold

Wangold Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  15. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    #1 - it's you're not your

#2 - your crazy

16. ItsAWholeThing

Reputations:
    Im fully aware how the process works but keep in mind that every and i mean every moveis tracked ,if someone goes into your account and hits a button to un authorize your card its a trackable offense and the company would know.Possible but doubtful

XuXu likes this.
  17. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    haha--I have Direct TV

18. artiesoffspring

artiesoffspring Hugs and kisses

Reputations:
    Show me your set up ;)

XuXu likes this.