News My Views on Censorship and The Shed

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by eliasbboy, Feb 4, 2016.

1. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    I've been asked more than a few times to mediate between people on this site. I like to think I am pretty understanding and easy going when it comes down to transgressions here on the Shed. Therefore, I am going to take my time and try to explain MY personal views on a few things around here, in the hopes it will help non-staff members understand what takes place before any bannings, temp or permanent. Hopefully this will unruffle some feathers.

This is gonna be a long one, so if you don't give a shit feel free to tell me to fuck off and move on. :hat:

Let's get this out of the way first. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY on staff (including owners, admins, staff, mods, janitors, reporters) has ever once punished a member for a political view. It's absolutely absurd. I know this to be 100% true.

There is NOTHING in the moderators/staff forum that I have not been privy to in the history of Dawg's website. I was the fifth member to register here. I have been a moderator and staff member since the opening hours. There is nobody outside of Dawg himself that has been involved behind the scenes here longer.

The very idea that we would try to curtail or persuade one political view over another makes me laugh. Quieting one side of a debate quiets the entire debate.

Forum: A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

Without debate, discussion, disagreements, and activity this place would DIE. We WANT more talking! We WANT more discussion! The more posts, the better the website DOES!

This is precisely the reason we as staff deliberate extensively on the removal of a member. It's never a quick decision. We know that every time a member is banned it's going to make some people happy, and some people angry. We do not want to lose ANY posters, but keeping the majority of posters happy will always be the main job description of moderating a website.

One thing I read a lot is "What about my freedom of speech?! You're censoring me!! I have rights!!"

Guess what. You do not have rights here. You have privileges. Do you have the freedom of speech as set forth by the Constitution of the United States? Well, first of all you assume we're all American. Many of the members here are Australian, British, we have a Norway, and even worse, a few Canadians.

Second of all, you can absolutely say whatever you'd like. Simply find a web hosting provider, build your own website, and say whatever you want. As long as you are posting on Dawgshed.com and agreed to the Terms of Service when you registered, the following rules apply to you:

1. Dawg Shed is a private web club and visiting this website or being a member is a privilege, NOT a right.
    2. Dawg Shed has full liberty to choose its members. We reserve our rights to accept or reject any member signups, remove or banish any member from the site, grant and revoke any privileges to members within the site without warning, prior notice or giving any reason and in anytime we find appropriate.
    3. Dawg Shed can anytime stop or suspend its services without prior notice.
    4. The information published in this website may be outdated or wrong in one way or another, so no information should be used without consulting it with a professional.
    5. All content sent to Dawg Shed by its members and visitors can be rejected, deleted, modified, edited by site administration.
    6. Legal rights of the content sent to Dawg Shed by its members or visitors belongs to Site administration when they are submitted to the site unless it is clearly mentioned otherwise in the submit page. Site visitors/members can not ask the submitted content to be removed or unpublished from the site later.
    7. All site visitors who visit this website are obligated to obey site rules & site agreement and respect site principals and goals.
    8. Libel/Defamation—If you make accusations against another poster or other individual of criminal acts, or other acts which are defamatory or libelous, your identity/IP address and other identifying information may be released in the event of a court order, complaint, litigation, or other investigation. While truth is an absolute bar to liability for libel/defamation we urge you to use caution when making such claims without definitive proof. Posts of this nature may be removed without warning or explanation.

Now, many of you do not follow every post, by every member. Neither can we as staff. Are there people here that break the rules and have not been removed? Absolutely. Why is that? We cannot possibly monitor every post. We rely heavily on the 'alert' feature to draw our attention to problems. If a problem post appears in a thread and no alert is made, staff cannot may not ever read it.

Does this lead to an abuse of the alert system? At time, yes. If there is an unpopular poster we will receive many alerts, nitpicking everything that person says. It becomes a hassle, but that does not lead to getting banned. The squeaky wheel does not get the grease.

Those of you that think LtD, or any other poster for that matter, was banned for a simple infraction you've seen happen over and over by other members, are wrong. You must understand you, as a regular member, are not aware of everything that the staff involved with.

Rules can be abused in private messages that we are alerted to. There are rule abuses in rep messages, profile messages, etc. etc. By the time someone has been banned, rules have been broken numerous times, and most times numerous times warnings have been given.

Just because someone says they've never been warned, or never broken a rule, does NOT mean it's true.

I've seen Dawg get a lot of grief lately for pulling the trigger and maybe punishing people too fast. Let me tell you, that guy agonizes over every single decision WAY more than he should. I consider myself to be fairly level-headed, and I've told him he should ban MORE people, not less. This place is not his main focus in life. This website is not his job, career, or anything of the sort. If it were me and I was taking the abuse he does, for the amount of work he puts, in I'd probably have pulled the plug a long time ago.

The bottom line is, unless you are on staff you do not have all the facts. While it may seem to you a member was banned in the blink of an eye for one transgression, the truth is events have been transpiring over the course of days, weeks, or months leading up to it. We try as best we can to contain and stop problems before they become public knowledge, and before removing an individual is our last resort.

We are not always going to get it right. We will make mistakes. We may miss a problem, or over react to another. Please keep in mind tho that these actions are taken to keep the site working for everyone. If you have a problem with anything you can contact any one of us and discuss it.

I recommend @BethSucks. He LOOVES talking to people. :evil:

Tesla, ramble, Guacamole and 41 others like this.
  2. eliasbboy

Reputations:
  3. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    Fuck you

4. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    I would expect nothing less. :dancin2:

Rahm2015, baci, piledriver123 and 4 others like this.
  5. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  6. Beer Chugger

Beer Chugger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  7. eliasbboy

Reputations:

[​IMG]

8. Asshat13

Asshat13 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  9. Snort

Snort Something witty Gold

Reputations:
    Now why'd you have to throw that faggot word in? I thought only that flimsy faggot @jdwhatever used that.

10. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    I'm more just curious why so many racists gravitate toward this place

I mean there are tons of sites like Niggermania and ChimpOut dedicated to people like them, where that kind of ignorance is not only not punishable, but encouraged

So why do they all come to Dawg's to do it :scratch:

Jojo, ramble, ZevonFan and 2 others like this.
  11. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    So, if I read you correctly, what you are saying is that if you are not in favor of Ted Cruz, then you cannot post here any longer?

12. eliasbboy

Reputations:
  13. Chief2Kick

Chief2Kick I'm all sixes & sevens & nines Staff Member

Reputations:
    It's confusing an already upset forum. :jj:

14. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
    That was a lot of words but they appear to be rather well formatted.

Cunt and Petal like this.
  15. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    I have NO idea, and you don;t even see all the shit WE do. :facepalm:

There are/were people here that thought it was okay to be incredibly racist in rep and pm messages, as long as they weren't in the main forums. :facepalm:

16. Chief2Kick

Chief2Kick I'm all sixes & sevens & nines Staff Member

Reputations:
    They heard that you were posting here. :ucoffee:

17. Gigashadow

Gigashadow Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I am going to pull a Danny Devito here and say everyone is a bit racist to varying degrees whether they want to admit it or not.

18. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    Thank you. I always pride myself on format over function. :lo5:

Afganistand and AcquiringSignal like this.
  19. Nick Mondo

Nick Mondo VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Fuck man, thats alot of words and shit.

20. Blazing Buffalo

Blazing Buffalo Members Only

Reputations:
    Is this part of the February pen sale?