Nanny Bloomberg continues to dictate how and what people eat

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by newcastlefan, Sep 5, 2012.

1. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    He's like this in his private business too: everything is "my way or the highway"

Yesterday Bloomie said he's promoting portion awareness and is ok to do so because food companies have been promoting portion control for years. Of course he ignores that portion control is the business of food processors, and not the business of the government.

[​IMG]
    http://www.consumerfreedom.com/2012/08/new-york-says-take-your-medicine/
    [h=1]New York Says Take Your Medicine[/h] [​IMG]A few weeks ago we pointed out the conceit of New York City health commissioner Thomas Farley, who called every single New Yorker “my patient.†The implications are even scarier when you realize that the good doctor isn’t even an elected official, but an appointed one. But with New Yorkers rejecting Farley’s latest prescription to fight obesity, a ban on large soda, who wins the battle between the self-important state and public opinion?
    In New York, it looks like the self-important state wins. The Wall Street Journal reports that Big Apple Mayor Michael Bloomberg “isn’t contemplating any changes to his proposal to ban restaurants and other venues from selling large-size sugary drinks.†Hizzoner also channeled “toxic sugar†mythmaker Robert Lustig. Lusting ironically characterized his own proposal for a ban on (among other things) letting children buy cookies as “trying to undo the nanny state.†The mayor claimed that companies have been “dictating†portion sizes “all along.â€
    But unlike New York City government officials, beverage companies listen to the public about soda sizes. In response to consumer demands for lower-calorie options, store shelves are now stocked with the option of smaller soft drink cans for people who want them. Or, you know, you can also just not drink soda if you don’t want to. No one is forcing you to buy or drink it—but Bloomberg and Farley are forcing New Yorkers to abide by their ridiculous edicts.
    New Yorkers—even those who maintain a healthy weight—will be prohibited from buying large sodas at the ballgame on a government doctor’s orders. One of these is not like the others, and Hizzoner is playing a very Orwellian game by claiming they’re the same.

2. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
  3. Cheri

Cheri Skunk VIP

Reputations:
    I have no problem with the portion control thing. There are out of control warthog fatties like Baltimore Mike that will eat and eat with wild abandon, then get diabetes and heart disease and become a drain on the healthcare system.

4. Gas Face

Gas Face Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A friend of mine met Bloomberg recently at a ceremony for another friend who works for the city. At the end of the ceremony my friend introduces the other friend to Bloomberg. When introduced my friend says laughingly" What's a guy gotta do to get a Big Gulp around here?" Bloomberg laughed and said "We don't have Big Gulps, but you can have as many 12oz sodas as you like." Just figured I share that. :hat:

5. Dainty Jainty

Dainty Jainty New Member

Reputations:
    So glad to see he's very, very busy with the major issues like homelessness, living wages, decent housing, transit and traffic improvements, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  6. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    so instead of a 64oz gulp, they buy 2 32 oz cups? its an ineffectual law that doesn't do what its supposed to. in fact the only thing it will do is set precedence for govt sticking its nose in private citizens' life choices.

suppose Bloomie next decides that women should only be able to buy 3 next morning birth control pills per prescription? or guys can only buy a two pack of rubbers? or you have to prove you're not pregnant before you can buy tampons?

if he can control the size of something you put in your mouth, he can control what you put in other orifices.

7. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    many of us wish he would spend all his time with Ms Piggy as our lives are tough enough without his Mikey knows better style of management.

8. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    go long on ammo