Nascar fans...Jeff Gordon to retire

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Seems like yesterday when he was a rookie

Four-time NASCAR champ Jeff Gordon to retire after 2015 season
    Gordon has 92 career Sprint Cup wins and championships in 1995, 1997, 1998 and 2001. He has spent his entire 23-year career in the No. 24 car with Hendrick Motorsports.
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 11:06 AM
    Updated: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 12:29 PM
    [​IMG] Matt Sullivan/Getty Images Jeff Gordon has announced that he will stop racing NASCAR full-time after the 2015 season.
    Jeff Gordon, the charismatic four-time NASCAR champion who became the face of the sport as it exploded in popularity a generation ago, said Thursday that he will retire as a full-time driver after the 2015 season.

Gordon did not officially call his decision a retirement because there is “always the possibility I’ll compete in selected events, although I currently have no plans to do that.” He has spent his entire 23-year career in the No. 24 car with Hendrick Motorsports, and he delivered the news to his team at its shop in Charlotte, North Carolina.

“As a race car driver, much of what I’ve done throughout my life has been based on following my instincts and trying to make good decisions,” Gordon said. “I thought long and hard about my future this past year and during the offseason, and I’ve decided 2015 will be the last time I compete for a championship.”

The 43-year-old Gordon is coming off one of his best seasons in years, one that ended a single point short of another shot at a title. He won four times in 2014.

Gordon suffered serious issues years ago in his back, specifically his lower spine, and needed anti-inflammatory medication and workouts with a trainer to return to full strength. He drove in pain during a winless 2008 season and briefly contemplated retirement. He did not cite health issues in Thursday’s announcement.

Gordon’s fame reaches far beyond the track and resonates with non-sports fans. He won all the big races, collected four championships in just seven years and had 58 victories before his 30th birthday.

He was a new breed of driver when he broke into NASCAR’s top series, arriving with a sprint car pedigree and talent that made him an immediate contender. Gordon was a clean-cut kid who raised NASCAR’s corporate image beyond its moonshine roots, making it a legitimate power on Madison Avenue as tens of thousands of new fans flocked to automobile racing in the late 1990s and 2000s.

Gordon became such a household name that he even hosted “Saturday Night Live” and was name-dropped in a Nelly song. He did it all while dominating as the “Rainbow Warrior” and teaming with crew chief Ray Evernham to collect checkered flags at a record pace.

Gordon debuted in the final race of the 1992 season at Atlanta and heads into this season with 92 career Sprint Cup wins and championships in 1995, 1997, 1998 and 2001. Gordon is third in career victories, trailing only Hall of Fame drivers Richard Petty (200) and David Pearson (105). He has three Daytona 500 victories and a record five Brickyard 400 wins, including last year’s race.

Leading up to last year’s Daytona 500, Gordon said he would retire if he won a fifth championship. Now, he’s made it official and will take one final victory lap around the circuit with drivers such as reigning Sprint Cup rookie of the year Kyle Larson, who grew up a die-hard fan and routinely posts childhood photos of himself in Gordon gear.

Gordon is an equity owner in Hendrick Motorsports and will remain involved with the organization.

[​IMG] Orlin Wagner/AP A four-time NASCAR champ, Jeff Gordon has 92 career Sprint Cup wins.
    “I’ll explore opportunities for the next phase of my career, but my primary focus now and throughout 2015 will be my performance in the No. 24 Chevrolet,” he said. “I’m going to pour everything I have into this season and look forward to the challenge of competing for one last championship.”

Gordon earned the nickname “Four Time” because of the Cup titles early in his career, though wins have been harder to find as his career stretched into its second decade. He posted winless seasons in 2008 and 2010 and, even in the years he qualified for the Chase in Sprint Cup championship, was never a true threat to bring home the title. Last season he returned with a vengeance and missed the championship round by one point.

“There’s simply no way to quantify Jeff’s impact,” team owner Rick Hendrick said. “He’s one of the biggest sports stars of a generation, and his contributions to the success and growth of NASCAR are unsurpassed. There’s been no better ambassador for stock car racing and no greater representation of what a champion should be.”

Hendrick, who also fields cars for Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jimmie Johnson and Kasey Kahne, did not name a replacement for 2016. Hendrick developmental driver and reigning Xfinity Series champion Chase Elliot could be in the mix to take over in the No. 24 Chevrolet.

“Hard to imagine this is (Gordon’s) last full season,” Earnhardt tweeted. “Tons of respect for him and what he’s accomplished thus far. A total professional.”

Gordon has won at every track on the Sprint Cup circuit except Kentucky Speedway. His four championships trail only Johnson, a six-time champ, for most among active drivers. Petty and Dale Earnhardt each won seven.

Johnson and other drivers flooded Twitter with posts about Gordon.

“What an amazing career! Glad I got to race with him!” Danica Patrick wrote.

Gordon, married with two children, has thrust himself into charity work and said he will remain committed to his foundation. In 1999, his foundation was launched. In 2006, he helped open the Jeff Gordon Children’s Hospital in Concord, North Carolina.

“Outside the race car, my passion is pediatric cancer research, and my efforts will remain focused there when I’m no longer driving,” he said.

2. hillbilly

hillbilly Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I remember his 1st wife turned out to be a gold digger. She raked his ass across the coals on the divorce too. She was a Miss Winston when they met, one that kisses the driver after a win. [​IMG]

2nd wife [​IMG]

Robert Higgins and quitefrankly like this.
  3. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He would have won more championships if NASCAR didn't keep changing the rules.

quitefrankly, Shamrock12 and 00steven like this.
  4. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Hey, this ain't Stock Car Magazine pal! :no:

5. Phan Neepack

Phan Neepack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Maybe now he'll have time to trim his eyebrows

6. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'm also 43

I won't be retiring at the end of this year however

fuck

7. SternsEgo

SternsEgo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hope ronnie is alight...

actually fuck him.

8. The Butler

The Butler Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The Car of Tomorrow was no friend of Jeff Gordon.

Head Censor and quitefrankly like this.
  9. BarberFloyd

BarberFloyd God Bless DuPont Chemicals Banned User

Reputations:
    I buy used NASCAR tires and put them in my living room as decorations. My wife, Bonnie, she keeps yelling "It's either me or the tires!".

TheJackiePuppet likes this.
  10. Macro57

Macro57 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jeff had finally found the comfort zone with the current Gen 6 car, but rumors are that this Gen 6 car has not been a friend of Tony Stewart lately.

11. kippy

kippy Not Safe For Women VIP

Reputations:
    Have to make room for Chase Elliott.

quitefrankly likes this.
  12. Turkeyneck

Turkeyneck Howard's got one, not me VIP

Reputations:
    who the fuck watches NASCAR?

13. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Remember when robin was going to race bubba? :wtf:

kauzpayne2002 likes this.
  14. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    The Gen 6 car was designed to run better on the outside up against the wall in NASCARs latest attempt to try and help the over rated golden child in the 88. Stewart wants to run the bottom of every track and will stubbornly spend the first half the race trying to force his car down there one adjustment after another until hes ran himself all the way to the back alongside LapDownica Patrick

Macro57 and Birddog like this.
  15. Macro57

Macro57 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  16. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    So he still has time to do in self in on turn number 3.

17. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Jeff Gordon with all his cash couldn't get a younger broad with better fake cans?

[​IMG]

18. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  19. Scarlett Ohara

Scarlett Ohara VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    BEARD

Mr Fantastic likes this.
  20. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Missouri Boat Ride Gold

Reputations:

What happened to Barber Floyd? Did he get hit by a tire?
    :scared:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.