NBC pulls "Hannibal" episode in wake of Boston bombings

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Apr 19, 2013.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    NBC and the rest of the TV networks are cowards. I have been watching "Hannibal" and find it both interesting and entertaining. It is shown at 10pm after the "safe harbor" window. It's a violent show with sadistic murders. I am not upset if a network postpones an episode in light of the tragic events in Boston. NBC isn't doing that. They will never air the episode and is skipping to the fifth episode. The problem is the show serialized. Not as much as a show like "Lost" but the previous episodes and the one that is cancelled build on how "Hannibal" is manipulating Will Graham. Each episode interconnects. If you don't want to put the episode on TV put it on their website. All NBC is going to do is put up a few clips. Sure the subject matter of "Hannibal" is extreme. The episode that was cancelled has nothing to do with bombings. It's about children killing children. Fox hasn't cancelled any episodes of "The Following" and no show has more gore than that one. By NBC doing this "The terrorists have won". Censorship is the start of the loss of freedom.

NBC has decided not to air next week's episode of "Hannibal" in the wake of the bombings at the Boston Marathon on Monday.
    The episode, Variety reports, contains content involving children killing other children. The decision reportedly came after series creator Bryan Fuller called the network and said that, "given the cultural climate right now in the U.S., I think we shouldn't air the episode in its entirety.""I didn't want to have anyone come to the show and have a negative experience," Fuller told Variety. "Whenever you [write] a story and look at the sensational aspects of storytelling, you think, 'This is interesting metaphorically, and this is interesting as social commentary.' With this episode, it wasn't about the graphic imagery or violence. It was the associations that came with the subject matter that I felt would inhibit the enjoyment of the overall episode. ... It was my own sensitivity."Instead of airing episode four of "Hannibal," NBC will air the fifth episode in its place. The network says there won't be any continuity issues, according to Variety, and that critics have already seen the third and fifth episodes but not the fourth. However, Alan Sepinwall of HitFix writes that "it was clear in watching the fifth episode (and the 'Previously, on "Hannibal"' clips before it) that some notable character and plot arc things had happened in between the hours I'd seen."Removing the fourth episode also bumps up the show's season finale date -- the last episode will air now air June 20, instead of June 27.Other networks have made similar programming decisions -- ABC opted to delay an episode of "Castle" that had a bombing storyline, and Fox pulled an episode of "Family Guy" that depicted Peter Griffin hitting Boston Marathon runners with his car from its rotation and online viewing after YouTube users manipulated the video.

2. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
    self-censoring wanks.

3. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Those two Fuckers are now cock blocking tv programs now they have gone too far

4. boomer1976

boomer1976 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Just got the 3rd episode. Going to watch it later. So far I am impressed with Hannibal for a network show.

5. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Most of these TV series are sold around the world. No doubt that they will show the entire season in it's entirety in foreign countries. Also this episode would be included on the DVD season one release of the show. The ratings have picked up for the series so NBC will probably do another season. TVbytheNumbers which predicts renewals and cancellations said it will almost certainly be renewed because NBC has done so bad with their primetime line-up. Even a slight success for NBC is better than nothing. Much of the money financing "Hannibal" comes from overseas networks. US TV shows do very well there because their countries with the exception of BBC produce a lot of crap. Homeland and The Office are shows that were first made or based on TV shows outside of this country.

6. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    That is so stupid. :facepalm:

7. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    I don't see why anyone should allow those two maggots to influence their decisions, I doubt the majority of the public wants it that way.

8. Roberticus

Roberticus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Also, due to the use of brads in the pressure cooker bombs, all reruns of "Everybody Loves Raymond" featuring Brad Garrett will be suspended indefinitely.

9. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    "wah, my idiotic disturbed show isn't on tv, wah!"

10. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Nbc. We're #5 baby!

11. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    Stations should pull all repeats of Cheers....

No show should have humor in Boston during this tragedy....