ND authorizes armed drones for police!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MilkyDischarge, Sep 8, 2015.

1. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    WTF?

Armed drones could be used by police in the US state of North Dakota after local lawmakers legalised their use.

While they will be limited to “less than lethal” weapons, tear gas, tasers, rubber bullets and pepper spray could all be used in theory by the remote controlled flying machines.

In a classic case of unintended consequences, the original sponsor, Republican state representative Rick Becker said he was unhappy with the way legislation turned out.

His original intention was to prevent law enforcement officials from using the unmanned aerial vehicles from conducting surveillance on private property without a warrant.

“In my opinion there should be a nice, red line: Drones should not be weaponised,” he said.

The original draft of the House Bill 1328 said: “A state agency may not authorize the use of, including granting a permit to use, an unmanned aircraft armed with any lethal or non-lethal weapons, including firearms, pepper spray, bean bag guns, mace, and sound-based weapons.”

However, the state's police union amended the Bill, limiting the ban to only lethal weapons, meaning that sounds cannons or rubber bullets could be used on police drones, according to The Daily Beast.

Mr Becker said that he didn’t fight the amendments, telling the Arstehnica website that he wanted “the Bill to pass to at least require warrants.”

However, he said that he will aim to change the law in two-years’ time when North Dakota’s House of Representatives returns to session.

It is unclear whether local police departments will use weaponised drones, even though they are technically legal.

Police officers are subject to local and departmental rules that can substantially limit what tactics are allowed.

However, at least 39 people have been killed by police tasers in 2015, according to The Guardian.

The fact that a suspect could potentially be tasered by an officer sitting hundreds of miles away will likely add to the concerns of those who are worried about the militarisation of US police departments.

Concerns were raised following events in Ferguson, Missouri, where mostly peaceful protests over the killing by a police officer of black man Michael Brown were met over several nights by lines of body-armoured police brandishing automatic weapons, and in some cases riding mine-resistant military-style vehicles.

It prompted President Barack Obama to ordered a comprehensive review of policies that have encouraged police departments across the United States to acquire ever greater quantities of military kit that was once the reserve of professional soldiers last month.

smichal likes this.
  2. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    drones are gonna be a major pain in the ass in the very near future

WHTHS, Gusbuss, reno and 2 others like this.
  3. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...yeah nobody would bother to shoot one of those down. :whistle:

smichal likes this.
  4. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And you have a problem with this why......

Scenario 1. Some idiot is holding your loved one hostage in a bank... the cops can send in a drone, which has a camera, and gives them a view of the goings on... it has a taser attached, which is fired at the bad guy, ending the incident safely.

go hang out in Ferguson. hippie.

piledriver123 and AmishGirl like this.
  5. CaptainFrank

Reputations:
    However, at least 39 people have been killed by police tasers in 2015, according to The Guardian.

Complete and utter Lie

6. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    they are also very easily weaponized by criminals & terrorists. its gonna be a game changer is all i'm saying.

smichal likes this.
  7. JRoyle411

JRoyle411 I want to live in a hamburger bun.

Reputations:
    As a native of North Dakota I can attest to the following. With the oil boom there has obviously been a huge increase in population. A lot of these folks who work for the oil companies have checkered backgrounds. There are not nearly enough police officers to keep the peace. In a lot of areas it is literally like the wild west. I am not a fan of drones, but if it helps them do their job then I am all for it in this instance. I love my home state but it has turned in to a shit hole in a lot of areas.

piledriver123, AmishGirl and maroon like this.
  8. CaptainFrank

Reputations:

Yes, but at least now there are some decent whores in north Dakota.

piledriver123, JRoyle411 and maroon like this.
  9. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ffwrd to3:10

RenchFries and WHTHS like this.
  10. JRoyle411

JRoyle411 I want to live in a hamburger bun.

Reputations:
    I don't know about decent..... But non Native American at least.

11. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    People in ND aren't smart enough to use a BB gun. :jj:

12. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:

Good.

13. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Damn. That's straight-up video game shit.

14. Gretsch Man

Gretsch Man Well-Known Member

Reputations: