Need a new router

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Bye You!, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    I am going to buy a new router. Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive one? It will be for a 1 bedroom apartment, so it doesn't need to cover a lot of distance, and i think my DVD player gets netflix. So basically i just need it for the internet.

TIA for any suggestions.:)

2. Partyxanimal

Partyxanimal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have the ARRIS , so far so good but i got it through the cable company ?

3. Bye You!

Reputations:
    hmmmm..i set up my appointment and said I already had a router. The guy comes next friday. I have one that has to be at least 10 years old, and it sucks. I think the cable company charges you a rental fee for it or something. but thanks!:)

4. TYSON

TYSON New Member VIP

Reputations:
  5. TYSON

TYSON New Member VIP

Reputations:
  6. Bye You!

Reputations:
    Thanks, tyson. I was reading about them this morning when i got an e-mail from apple that they were having a huge sale. I only read bad reviews of things, and the regular airport got a lot of bad one. I may have to try the airport extreme, since between when i posted this and now, I spoke to my brother, whose favorite pastime is shopping at the apple store. He said he'd buy me a router.:)

Looks very cool. It's really that good?

7. TYSON

TYSON New Member VIP

Reputations:
    Yes. Best experience with wireless networking. This is my 3rd Airport Extreme from Apple. Nothing wrong with the other 2, I just like to keep current with Apple and their great products. I turn my old Airports in to a range extender.

8. Bye You!

Reputations:
    ok, i know what to do. i know what to do. :hat::)

9. Bye You!

Reputations:
    From the apple site reviews:

If you have a multi-function scanner/printer/fax do not buy this product as you will instantly lose the scanner/fax functions. It only works with the printer function - certainly all my attempts to get the scanner on my Canon PIXMA MP63) have failed. Apple should be much clearer and state that non-printer functions do not work at all.

I have a pixma MP60, also a multi-function. :scratch:

10. TYSON

TYSON New Member VIP

Reputations:
    I just have one of those all in one HP printers and it works fine for me but I know every brand is different.
    Apple supports Canon printers by default but I have never owned a Canon printer, just the cameras.
    I wonder if that person used his setup disc on the computer he wanted to do the scan on?
    Other things besides printing requires the setup disc to use the scan, fax, copy, etc.
    just plain printing doesn't need any disc. (as far as I know anyway)

Before buying it you could ask someone at the genius bar if it will work with your printer.

11. Bye You!

Reputations:
    ahhh good thinking! thanks.

12. bigbump

bigbump Member

Reputations:
    If you are a Comcast customer then the router is free when you rent the modem. N class Netgear router. https://www.comcast.com/wirelessrouter/default.cspx?403;https://www.comcast.com:80/wirelessrouter/

13. bigbump

bigbump Member

Reputations:
    Go to Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Printer & Fax.
    Remove all the drivers,
    Reinstall the printer driver to the Printer and Fax setup.

14. bigbump

bigbump Member

Reputations:
    Scanning, copying, maintenance, etc. are not supported at the USB port of the AirPorts. If you need these functions, you will need to connect your all-in-one device directly to your computer.
    This might help too. Intel Wireless Base Station and Airport I have seen some nusers trying to get an Intel Pro/Wireless base station to work with an Apple computer/Airport card. Well I was in the same boat wondering how to get this to work.

Well I found the answer to this mystery by doing lots of research on the internet. There two major points that must be adhered to. First, when using encryption you must use the 1st key only. For example there are 4 shared keys you can potentially use in an Intel Access point. Likely the same in many others such as 3Com etc. The Apple airport software looks for the 1st key only. If you are to use any other key than the 1st it will always fail. This goes for 128 or 40 bit encryption. As it is imparative that you put a $ sign in front of the encryption key as well or it will not work either. e.g $23Daf327 etc.... In Apple speak the password is the encryption key. This has been documented on Apple's support site.

The second important feature to observe, especially for Intel access points is something called preamble. In Intel access points by default this feature is set to short preamble. This default setting is to my understanding only for Intel wireless cards. For this to work with Apple airport cards this must be disabled so you will have long preambles. Technically I don't know what this means but according to Intel long preambles allow interoperability with 3rd party equipment.

After you have accomplished these simple steps you are up and surfing on the net wirelessly. As for the other areas of setup such as routers we have a Watchguard SOHO firewall conntected to cable internet. The firewall acts as a DHCP server as well. This is the info I have learned through many hours of freustration and wanted to share this with other people that may be having similar issues. Happy surfing on your Apple computer/airport card.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  15. Bye You!

Reputations:
    :hat: THANKS!

16. mattyfishrip197

mattyfishrip197 Well-Known Member

Reputations: