neighborhood watch volunteers--killing teeenagers

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Mlaw, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    This Orlando area story has me baffled

"Trayvon Martin, a Miami high school junior, was walking back from the store, a package of Skittles in his pocket. George Zimmerman, the captain of his crime watch group, was driving through his Sanford neighborhood, on the lookout for trouble.

He saw the teen and called police. Two minutes later, 17-year-old Trayvon was on the ground, dying from a single gunshot wound. Police found Zimmerman standing nearby, a gun in his waistband and blood seeping from injuries to his nose and the back of his head.

That was Sunday, Feb. 26. Sanford police cuffed 28-year-old Zimmerman, took him to police headquarters, interrogated him then let him go."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...illed-sanford-police-20120308,0,5522977.story

The case has been turned over to the state police.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...illed-sanford-police-20120308,0,5522977.story

I'm struggling to remember another case in which a civilian has shot and killed an unarmed person and not been arrested, simply because they said they acted in self defense.

2. SIPAWITZ

SIPAWITZ Bialy Whore Banned User

Reputations:
    was he defending himself?

3. Mlaw

Reputations:
    that's his story, but usually some corroboration is required for the police to at least not make an arrest for something.

If you shot and killed your wife, do you think they would arrest you, even if you said it was self defense?

4. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    another nigga dead

5. wicked smaaaht

wicked smaaaht New Member

Reputations:
    of course..this is wierd

6. HAL

HAL HAM

Reputations:
    florida is fucking scary

7. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...a guy in texas about a year ago, shot 2 suspected burglars dead in the bac outside of his neighbor home which he was protecting. yeah he was never charged, the whole incident recorded on 911 tapes.

8. Mlaw

Reputations:
    the kid was "walking while black" The killer called the cops about a "suspicious person". Instead of waiting for the cops, he confronted the kid, who had no idea who he was. Of course the kid resisted a non uniformed white guy driving an unmarked car with a gun---wouldn't you?

Someone called the police on my brother-in-law here in town (years ago when it was pretty much all white) he was riding his bike and they said he was "suspicious".

I don't know, as a minority, i might say fuck it, I may as well be a hood, since some jerk-off can kill me for no reason and get away with it

9. SIPAWITZ

SIPAWITZ Bialy Whore Banned User

Reputations:
    When I shoot my wife I'm gonna hire you MLaw

10. Mlaw

Reputations:
    get drunk and do it with a car---you'll do little if any real time, unless you're Robert Blake, then just shoot her and finish your veal :jj:

11. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    i have a joke to tell, but you will freak out

12. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    http://gma.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin...-teen-death-recounts-063243901--abc-news.html

ABC News was there exclusively as the 16-year-old girl told Crump about the last moments of the teenager's life.

"He said this man was watching him, so he put his hoodie on. He said he lost the man," Martin's friend said. "I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run but he said he was not going to run."

Eventually he would run, said the girl, thinking that he'd managed to escape. But suddenly the strange man was back, cornering Martin.

"Trayvon said, 'What, are you following me for,' and the man said, 'What are you doing here.' Next thing I hear is somebody pushing, and somebody pushed Trayvon because the head set just fell. I called him again and he didn't answer the phone."

The line went dead. Besides screams heard on 911 calls that night as Martin and Zimmerman scuffled, those were the last words he said.

...Zimmerman violated major principles of the Neighborhood Watch manual, ABC News has learned. The manual from the Neighborhood Watch program states: "It should be emphasized to members that they do not possess police powers. And they shall not carry weapons or pursue vehicles."

According to Chris Tutko, the director of the National Neighborhood Watch program, there are about 22,000 registered watch groups nationwide, and Zimmerman was not part of a registered group, which police were not aware of at the time of the incident.

13. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    fuck off HAL

14. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    it's a horrible case; the neighborhood watch guy had a gun and chased down an innocent black guy, tackled and then shot him. he's declaring that, under a 2005 law enabling citizens to stand their ground, that he is not criminally responsible for this tragedy.

he followed the guy, tackled him, then shot him

followed

15. GHP

GHP New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I saw where the DOJ is getting involved in this :)

16. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    eric holder? work? lulz

17. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    maybe someone should shoot lever when he is walking out getting skittles

18. GHP

GHP New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    He'll put his best man on it :hhh:

This isn't exactly breaking news he shot him towards the end of February :p

19. Shine

Shine 2012 rookie of the year VIP

Reputations:
    :coffee:

20. Mlaw

Reputations:
    self defense is an affirmative defense to an assault or homicide, the fact that the police said they could find no evidence to disprove it is insanity. It's the shooter's burden to show evidence of justification.

If by some chance, the teen had wrestled the gun away form Zimmerman and shot him dead, sure as shit, he would be sitting in jail right now for murder