Entertainment Netflix Ends Epix Cable Deal, Pulling High-Profile Films

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Aug 30, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    BN-KB688_NETFLI_J_20150830184810.jpg

Major Hollywood films like “Hunger Games: Catching Fire” and “World War Z” will be shifting from Netflix to Hulu in coming weeks, as pay-TV channel Epix switches up its streaming partners.

The moves reflect a broader trend in the streaming-video business as Netflix Inc. continues to become pickier about paying for rights to TV shows and movies that can be found elsewhere. At the same time, a newly aggressive—yet, for content owners, more accommodating—Hulu is ramping up its content spending to challenge Netflix’s dominance.

Netflix said Sunday that it had allowed its deal with Epix to lapse at the end of September because the streaming-video company is trying to move away from nonexclusive content toward its own original programming and exclusive rights to movies.

Epix is owned by MGM, Lions Gate Entertainment Corp. and Viacom Inc.’s Paramount studios and has the rights to high-profile films like “Transformer: Age of Extinction.” In addition to its deal with Netflix, Epix signed a deal with Amazon Prime Instant Video in 2012 and announced Sunday that it has just signed a deal with Hulu starting in October.

“While many of these movies are popular, they are also widely available on cable and other subscription platforms at the same time as they are on Netflix,” wrote Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos in a blog post Sunday. “Through our original films and some innovative licensing arrangements with the movie studios, we are aiming to build a better movie experience for you.”

Mr. Sarandos said Netflix has been trying to develop its own slate of original movies with stars like Brad Pitt, Ricky Gervais and Judd Apatow, but acknowledged that “it will take us time.”

In the meantime, Netflix announced an array of originals, including “Ridiculous Six,” the first of four comedies from Adam Sandler, and “A Very Murray Christmas,” in which Sofia Coppola directs Bill Murray, both coming in December.

This shift toward originals mirrors what Netflix did in television with “House of Cards” and “Orange is the New Black,” investing more in its own series even as it got pickier on its licensing deals for reruns.

This pickiness has created an opening for the much smaller Hulu, which is owned jointly by 21st Century Fox, Comcast Corp.’s NBCUniversal and Walt Disney Co.

This year, Hulu is expected to double its spending on content to $1.5 billion according to RBC Capital Markets analyst David Bank.

(21st Century Fox and News Corp, owner of The Wall Street Journal, until mid-2013 were part of the same company.)

For Epix, which has 14 million subscribers—less than half the count of category-leading HBO—the strategy has been to try to distribute its content to as many players as possible as the subscription streaming-video industry expands, according to people familiar with the matter.

The tech blog Re/Code earlier reported that Epix was likely to replace its Netflix deal with Hulu.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/netflix-ends-epix-cable-deal-pulling-high-profile-films-1440975878

sstressed and ARM like this.
  2. Awesomesauce

Awesomesauce Active Member

Reputations:
  3. Splash

Splash Huge Member VIP

Reputations:
    Fucking Hulu and Amazon prime are really fucking up stuff.

4. dawg

Reputations:
    I haven’t turned on Netflix in months, everytime i do i cant find anything to watch.

5. JFK

JFK Ask not what your country can do for you. Gold

Reputations:
    I was stunned. It actual had a movie I was looking for Friday night.

6. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    They are all gonna get greedy and fuck it up. Instead of content at a reasonable price, they'll just go higher and higher, until the paradigm shifts again. Probably back to free network tv.

Kilroy, Wangold and ARM like this.
  7. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    i read that earlier. maybe i'm wrong but it sounded to me like Netflix wanted exclusivity like they have with Disney and Epix said "no".

that actually makes sense to me: Netflix has to differentiate itself from all the other services that stream somewhat first run movies.

Howchilla likes this.
  8. dawg

Reputations:
    In the meantime the content shrinks.

Petal likes this.
  9. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    they didnt say that: they are making more original content and their deal with Disney will produce some really good movies since that includes the Marvel franchise.

Doctor Remulak and DrSublux like this.
  10. Howchilla

Howchilla VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Netflix is ammazzzzzzing for kids show. Movies are definitely going downhill. It's still the best value for money I can find.

11. dawg

Reputations:
    I never cancel, i just complain.

12. tedsfrozenhead

tedsfrozenhead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The content of Netflix has definitely decreased in the past year. When I first signed up almost any movies I wanted I could find. Now, not so much.

ravenrules likes this.
  13. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Missouri Boat Ride

Reputations:
    I have Netflix and Amazon but HBO now is my go to stream channel.

If Netflix raises their rates I'll dump them quick but for 8 bucks/mo I'll keep them.

14. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If I can find something, it is not available for streaming.

MadWoman777 and dawg like this.
  15. dawg

Reputations:
    I really enjoyed it when they had the starz deal, that fell through also.

ALEBonBon6785 and Howchilla like this.
  16. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    i cancelled Hulu: their feed quality sux here. i could never watch anything all the way thru before the feed craps out.

17. Howchilla

Reputations:
    If Netflix can somehow better their search/discover option it would be loads better. Whenever I try to scan for a movie, i keep getting the same suggestion in certain categories.
    I know they have a shitload of movies, It feels like i'm only seeing a small % of what they have to offer.

marswillrule and tedsfrozenhead like this.
  18. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I use netflixs for documentaries and stuff like the daredevil series. dont know I've ever actually watched a commercial movie on it

SouthernListen, Wangold and Howchilla like this.
  19. Howchilla

Reputations:
    Are they still showing commercials on Hulu+ TV shows?

20. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    i find that their original content is very good, and i love that they make the entire season available on the first day for binge watching. its nice that a vendor actually schedules shows for the way most people prefer to watch them: from start to finish.

Doctor Remulak and ALEBonBon6785 like this.