New listener to the show: why is opie hated?

Discussion in 'The Anthony Cumia Show' started by Hateman, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Hateman

Hateman Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I see on here that Opie isn't widely liked. Just wondering why. Is he the robin of the show?

2. AmericasJudge

AmericasJudge Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's a pretty good analogy. He's not as bad as Robin; he's not a sycophant and doesn't laugh on demand. He often just slows down the momentum of the show with unfunny comments. He tells long winded stories about parenting that aren't particularly interesting or funny.

3. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold POTY Politics

Reputations:
    Listen to the show for a month then revisit your question. I'd be curious to hear your answer.

4. Hateman

Reputations:
    Nah just tell me

5. snowdog212

snowdog212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I dont mind him. He can get annoying sometimes but he keeps the show moving along and lets Ant and Jimmy do the comedy

6. PTRacing

PTRacing Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like Opie but Anthony is the star of the show.

7. Racerx969

Racerx969 Member

Reputations:
    I agree. I think eventually you figure out he is the star (anthony) because Opie made him one. Opie annoys the shit out of me all the time, but he points everyone in a direction. He helps, way more than he hurts.

8. Scottd

Scottd New Member

Reputations:
    As a long time OA listener Opie can get annoying but he does serve a purpose. Listen to a Nopie show and you will see Anthony and Jim kinda just drift around with no agenda (which can be good or bad). I would say Opie steers the ship.... but he is too quick to cut off the jokes and move to a new topic a lot.

9. HHH1

HHH1 Member

Reputations:
    I liked Opie alot more back on WNEW and their first four years or so on XM.
    I still love Anthony and Jim....I'll just leave it at that.

10. qb123

qb123 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree with the others as you get more familiar with the show it becomes beyond obvious that Ant is the star, Jimmy is ok when he isn't all preachy, and Opie is the male equivalent of a hole. You quickly learn to fast forward any time you hear the word "kid" whether it be from him or a guest because you will be tortured by one of his painful kid stories.

11. trent Johnson

trent Johnson Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He really adds nothing to the show that Sam couldn't do. Its painful when he tries to be funny mainly because Ant is so amazingly talented and over shadows everyone. Its laughable when he complains about his deal with sirius because he means nothing to the show and should be paid 30 grand a year while Ant should make millions. Ant and Jim are cool guys and it shows, while Opie is just a dork trying to be cool when he is around them.

HHH1 likes this.
  12. BeerCanThick

BeerCanThick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He is a melodramatic boob with obnoxious verbal tics and crutches who brings nothing but negative energy and uninteresting and typically false stories to the table.
    Along with that, he still wants to do late 90s Retard Radio with 10 year old characters like Bobo that the show should have clearly moved on from.

He is an interupting ass who tramples phone calls and wrecks the show's flow. HOLD ON HOLD ON HOLD ON PAUSE LETS REALLY BREAK THIS DOWN is enough to hate him.

Opie also desperately wishes to be 30 and is going through some man-breasted, Low Testosterone Syndrome midlife crisis.

His constant mentioning of Instagram, Youtube and Twitter is horrible, too.

There is very little good to say about him. Well, he tends to keep his mouth shut during interviews and guest segments.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    HHH1 likes this.
  13. skater76

skater76 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

BeerCanThick likes this.
  14. scooottt

scooottt Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I think Opie is a lot like Stern in the sense he has a higher opinion of himself than he should.
    Anthony & especially Jim are grounded

15. Hateman

Reputations:
    I find him more like Robin. No comedic talent or timing. A big baby who can't fight.

16. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There a stale act. Its over johnny. Had it on 2 day had 2 bale. Over paid hacks. Jimmy luckiest guy in show buss. He can bring a train 2 a stop. How ever Anthony pretty funny dude.

17. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold POTY Politics

Reputations:
    you're not the first mo to say that:c

18. Chippah

Chippah New Member

Reputations:
    Opie is okay with me. There are times where he does good and I start to like him then he ruins it by fucking up the momentum of Ant and Jim going crazy with jokes and then it's back to STFU Opie! Nopie shows were my favourite and don't give me the old, tired captain of the shitliner analogy. Jim and Ant fucking around and laughing like the class clowns is the funniest shit and without the Destroyer there they can do it much longer.

I do prefer them as a group in the end.

19. Yomama

Yomama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm new to the show as well, and as far as I can tell - as an objective observer - and based on all the listeners' comments - there are Opie fans & Anthony fans. These appear to be 2 different types of listeners. The Anthony fans are right wing Fox news kind of people who enjoy all the Obama bashing & really get off on the racist and gay bashing talk - especially when Jim chimes in. Opie appears to try to do a more even handed show & the Anthony fans get pissed off & feel he breaks the momentum. BTW it's that kind of talk that got Anthony fired.
    I think it's time for Opie & Anthony to separate and do their own things. Opie has said it many times - he feels theyare going in different directions. Which is fine !!!
    No one needs to judge. There will be an Opie show & there should be an Anthony show.

20. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    no

opie is a dullard who tells seemingly endless stories and steps on funny bits.

anthony is likable, entertaining, and funny

opie is not long for sirius if he has to go it alone or with just jimmy ( he might not be either way)