New Philadelphia GameStop Policy Requires Customer Fingerprints When Trading In Games

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Aug 2, 2014.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The big video game retailer,GameStop, is now requiring its customers in Philadelphia, but not in the suburbs, to provide a fingerprint scan on certain transactions.

When GameStop buys used video games from customers, the chain says it is following a local law that allows the store to collect thumb prints, which go into a database to help law enforcement track down thieves who fence stolen goods.

City Solicitor Shelley Smith says, however, the city is not requiring GameStop to abide by the pawnbroker’s ordinance:

“What GameStop does doesn’t meet any of the elements of the definition in the code, so the pawnbreaker ordinance doesn’t apply to GameStop.”

Folks outside a GameStop in Center City tell KYW Newsradio they were not thrilled with the company policy for anyone selling used games to the store:

“I really don’t appreciate it. You fingerprinted me like I’m in a police district. No, I’m at a game store.”

“That is a little absurd, it’s just a video game.”

“I think it’s an overreach. It’s going too far.”

“I know that it only happens to people who go to jail, they get fingerprinted.”

“When I went, I got my finger scanned when he broke it out and said ‘I need your fingerprint,’ I said, ‘for what’?'”

The Philadelphia Police Department says the company is being proactive by storing fingerprints in a secure database – LeadsOnline – which is the nation’s largest online investigation system.

2. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You only have to worry if you are a thief trying to fence stolen goods, I bet the people who complain would be happy if their games got stolen and the thieves were found via fingerprints.

Bye You! and You Knew! like this.
  3. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:

EndOfLine likes this.
  4. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's smells like sweat of JD in those stores.

5. BeerCanThick

BeerCanThick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He has a good point that GameStop already orders the employees to hound and upsell people (tell you about all the AAA titles that are out that you already know about, get you to pre-order, hock magazines, DLC, PowerPro Plus membership) and now they've got to tell EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. with curly hair on his ballbag about a 27 percent APR in-store credit card.

6. Mazley

Mazley Black Knight Banned User

Reputations:
    As someone who has worked for EB games which is gamestop in canada. This shit is coming if we like it or not. To many people bring in stolen games.

7. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Nah, most games will be digitally delivered in the near future - can't trade that shit in - and the game developers / publishers love it.

8. Mazley

Mazley Black Knight Banned User

Reputations:
    yup thats the plan I work for ubisoft and thats what is coming down from higher up. They wanted it this go around but the consumer wouldn't have any of it. Thats why microsoft did what they did with the xbone.

EndOfLine and BeerCanThick like this.
  9. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    I feel this will be unfair to blaeks :dontknow:

Bye You! likes this.
  10. Bentknee

Bentknee Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I guess they never had to be fingerprinted while cashing a check at the bank, oh yea, I forgot, welfare payments are made by direct deposit now.