New Pink Floyd Album!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Skippy, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Looks like its a bunch of leftovers from The Division Bell sessions and Gilmour and Mason are adding some new material. No Roger Waters but Rick Wright's parts will be included. I for one am very excited for this. I'm actually listening to Division Bell right now and I still love this album. They had an amazing run of albums from Meddle to The Wall, but those Waters-less albums are still decent.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...irst-new-album-in-20-years-this-fall-20140706

Pink Floyd is about to return with their first album in 20 years. Polly Samson, the wife of singer-guitarist David Gilmour, surprised fans on Saturday when she casually announced over Twitter that the band has a new record in the works and it's coming out this fall. A representative for Gilmour confirmed the release of the album to Rolling Stone.
    See Where Pink Floyd Rank on Our List of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time
    "Btw Pink Floyd album out in October is called 'The Endless River,'" Samson wrote. "Based on 1994 sessions is Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful." (Keyboardist and founding member Wright died of cancer in 2008 at the age of 65.)
    The band had just celebrated the 20th anniversary of 1994's The Division Bell with an extravagant reissue of the album on July 1st. The new material appears to be connected to unreleased recordings made during the Division Bell sessions.
    Durga McBroom-Hudson, a singer who toured with Pink Floyd in the 1980s and 1990s and is apparently involved in the new project, offered more details on The Endless River through her Facebook page. "The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled 'The Big Spliff' that Nick Mason spoke about)," she explained. "Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then. It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. That's the song you see being worked on in the photo." She went on to emphasize that the new album will consist entirely of unreleased songs.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pink-floyd-to-release-first-new-album-in-20-years-this-fall-20140706#ixzz36nwQEo6V
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Gusbuss likes this.
  2. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Holy shit! This is one of those "wouldn't believe it in a million years" type stuff. Hope it's good!

3. MorningSong13

MorningSong13 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    New "Pink Floyd" album.

That said - it's essentially the same as David Gilmour solo stuff which I do quite enjoy. Will probably be pretty good.

Gusbuss likes this.
  4. jon1972us

jon1972us Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm looking forward to it.

5. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yea hope it doesn't suck..

in honor of this news and since we don't have photography forum

here is a picture I took last night of 1/2 of the dark side of the moon

[​IMG]

6. Weed

Weed Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like Pink Floyd a lot. I've seen the whole Floyd, Gilmour's Floyd, Waters' solo band with Mason, etc... Momentary Lapse was pretty good, Division Bell was OK. In all likelihood, we'll be getting a record comprised of stuff that wasn't even good enough to make the cut on an OK album from 20 years ago. Call me skeptical, but I'll still listen to it as soon as its available.

Vashier likes this.
  7. StRyDeRxX

StRyDeRxX Bling Bling Gold

Reputations:
  8. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    wow wow wow wow wow

9. blckknight60

blckknight60 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    no waters is a big shame but expected. will listen regardless

10. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    No Waters = No Pink Floyd.

otherwise it's just a Gilmour solo project like Morning Song said....

11. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I came of age with Floyd....."Meddle" And "DSOTM" Awakened me to what real musicians were supposed to be.......
    However.....
    With all these years of following them, And really studying the flow of things from album to album...I can say that I prefer
    Floyd when Waters is a backdrop instead of a driving force......"The Wall" Is the only Floyd album I won't listen to in it's entirety
    because it's so fucking dark......
    When Richard Wright died I took it really hard.....And went on a Floyd binge for for months......And it opened my eyes to just how crucial
    he was to the product of Floyd from the beginning to the end....To the point, Gilmour would not play as Pink Floyd without him.....
    Waters considered himself better that Gilmour and Wright and is why they moved on without him.......And in my opinion as a fan,
    Didn't miss a lick......
    And as far as Gilmour's solo efforts............Light years better that anything Waters did on his own......He's just a pissed off bass player that loves having pity parties through his writing..........

12. Snotty

Reputations:
  13. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    Actually, that's as coherant an expanation as anyone's given me as to Waters' value to the band, but in all honesty, the stuff they did without Waters was near bollocks and that's what I was basing my no waters no floyd comment on.
    That and I saw his Wall tour last year and it was phenomenal.

Gusbuss likes this.
  14. Snotty

Reputations:
    I had a friend who at the time of "A momentary Lapse of Reason" And Waters' "Hitch Hiking" were competing Was squarely in Waters corner....
    And wrote our friendship off because I stuck with David, Richard and Dave.......Damnedest thing.........o_O

15. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    I'm not that big of a music maven to write off a friendship over an opinion.

16. Snotty

Reputations:
    Is there a title?

17. Richard Tucker

Richard Tucker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The Endless River

18. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    I think I remember you guys getting excited for the new Van Halen record, too.

19. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    So I'm supposed to get excited for leftovers for an album that was pretty boring to begin with? I'll take Roger's "pity party" lyrics over Yoko's any day of the week. I'm sure I'll find a torrent out of curiosity, listen once and delete.

For the record, the '94 tour was great. The album was a snoozefest.

Turkeyneck likes this.
  20. Turkeyneck

Turkeyneck Howard's got one, not me VIP

Reputations:
    Waters is a much better lyricist, Gilmour's the better musician. Amused to Death is definitely better than anything David did on his own.

TheWonk likes this.