New Pope Throws Down Against the Muzzies !

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MyLazyHand, May 12, 2013.

1. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    The Pope is apparently trying to correct the record regarding "The Crusaders" and who did what to whom. From today's speech:

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis on Sunday proclaimed as saints some 800 Italians killed in the 15th century for refusing to convert to Islam, and said many Christians were still being persecuted for their faith.

The Vatican seemed at pains not to allow the first canonizations of Francis' two-month-old papacy to be interpreted as anti-Islamic, saying the deaths of the 'Otranto Marytrs' must be understood in their historical context.

The 800 were killed in 1480 in the siege of Otranto, on the southeastern Adriatic, by Ottoman Turks who sacked the city, killed its archbishop and told the citizens to surrender and convert.

When they refused, the Ottoman commanding officer ordered the execution of all men aged 15 or older, most by beheading.

"While we venerate the Otranto Martyrs, we ask God to sustain the many Christians who, today, in many parts of the world, right now, still suffer violence and give them the courage to be faithful and to respond to evil with good," Francis said before more than 70,000 people in St. Peter's Square.

He did not mention any countries, but the Vatican has expressed deep concern recently about the fate of Christians in parts of the Middle East, including Coptic Christians who have been caught up in sectarian strife in Egypt.

So let me see if I understand history: a group of people invade foreign lands, kill the religious leader, and then force the men to convert or they'll be beheaded. But since those bad guys were Muslims, that doesn't count as "Crusading"....right?

2. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    What about the Jews and muslims tortured and killed in Spain during the inquisiton ordered by the pope in the 15th century?
    Will they be canonized to?

3. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    A historical misconception, they were forcibly deported by the Inquisition, and the tortures happened to those who professed to be Christians but were suspected of secretly being loyal to the Tunisian caliphate (and rightly so, they hoped to invade and retake Andalusia). So if you said "Hey, I'm a Muslim, fuck you I'm going to Morocco" you could go. If you tried to stay and hold onto your position in society while being a secret Muslim, you would end up on the wrong end of things, but the same happened in every country during the middle ages based on religious and ethnic divides.

EDIT: Also, for the historical context, in Islam the end of the world and the Day of Judgment will be ushered in when the Caliph has conquered both Heraclia (Constantinople) and Rome, having established mosques on top of their great Churches (the Hagia Sophia, which was turned into a mosque, and St. Peter's). Mehmet the Conqueror had already taken Heraclia, and had he fared better against the Holy Roman Emperor, he fully planned to sack Rome, crown himself as Emperor, and usher in the end of the world and Christianity.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  4. Beth Eats Hay

Beth Eats Hay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What an asshole....... Hey boy fucking enabler- How about rolling up your sundress sleeves and addressing real problems?

5. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    As a Catholic, I have to say it's not fair to judge him, just yet. He actually was good at dealing with the pedophiles in Argentina according to all accounts (he supported a plan to create a desserted island, prison monastery to dump all of them in, which he was made fun of for). What he'll do now remains to be seen, but he is actually far more credible on this front than JPII was.

6. MyLazyHand

Reputations:
    I just find it amazing that anyone would actually call out the Islamists on the notion of "Crusading."

The real history of The Crusades has to do with making the Holy Land safe for the European Pilgrims.

7. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    does this guy even write his speeches?

8. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Alot of those secrete Muslims and Jews moved off to the new Spain which was Mexico and San Juan Bautista (Puerto Rico), bottom line the whole incident it just an example of extreme faith in Christianity. Jews Have their Masada Catholics have this. I guess since nobody is worshipin Jupiter in great numbers is why nobody is getting red assed over the Jews recognizing Masada and an epitome of the Jewish Struggle.

9. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I don't mean to pick a fight with you, but that is totally inaccurate too. The Crusades happened because Muslims began conquering Greek Asia Minor, Armenia and Assyria (Syrians used to be Christians before they were forcibly converted). They asked for help from the pope, and he then granted indulgences to those who would go and fight. Europeans intermarried with and considered themselves as of the same ethnic group as Middle Eastern Christians, it wasn't colonization by any sort, and the inhabitants welcomed them to the old eastern Roman Empire at the time. Things soured when the Venetians captured Constantinople, but that was much later.

If you're interested, there's a great book on this, http://www.amazon.com/Crusades-Illu...68365456&sr=8-1&keywords=illustrated crusades

10. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Yes, originally they are all in Latin.

11. MyLazyHand

Reputations:

Crusades

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wikipedia book·
    Portal

The Crusades were a series of wars which took place in Asia Minor and the Levant between 1095 and 1291, in which Western European nations engaged using the propaganda of religious expeditionary wars. The first crusade was called by Pope Urban II with the stated goal of restoring Christian access to the holy places in and near Jerusalem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Crusades may have expanded their reach at some point, but originally they were set up to protect rich European Christians who set out to visit the birthplace of Jesus. Saying I am "totally inaccurate" is silly since I studied this years ago in college, and it's fairly well-accepted as the truth.

There was some French King or his Queen captured and slayed and the Europeans said "enough" and moved in to make the route safe for pilgrims. It had nothing to do with conquering or pillaging Muslim lands.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  12. Rodney21a

Reputations:
    Catholics eat the most shit in the world because we don't go all holly war on people who talk shit. Jews have their back ally ways(the media hence the misconception about the Spanish Inquisition in this very thread) and Muslims will put a Fatwa on your ass for looking at them crooked.

David Bowies recent video is just one example of the bullshit Catholics put up with on a daily basis. Ask Salaman Rushdie how he thinks the Muslims view "free speech" and Look at the massive ostracization of Mel Gibson.

13. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Wikipedia and a book written by actual scholars are two very different things. That article cites a lot of outdated scholarship, for one. Urban II appealed for the Crusade because he was implored by the Byzantine and Assyrian emperors, and that access to Jerusalem was appealed for by the Arab Christians of the city who were denied worship by the Muslim invaders.

14. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Here is a very good article written by one of the world's leading Crusade scholars, Thomas Madden: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2005/mayweb-only/52.0.html

15. MyLazyHand

Reputations:
    My original point is getting lost: the Muslims were guilty of EXACTLY the same behavior for which they claim justification today for Islamists' violent acts.

16. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Fair enough, I just think that most people fail to realize that much of the anti-Crusade sentiment in English speaking countries actually came out of the Reformation. The Crusades didn't work out well for England (see Richard the Lionheart) and were generally associated as a glorious achievement of the French and Catholic German Hapsburgs (descendants of the Franks and the Frankish rulers of Jerusalem). After the Reformation, Protestants tended to ignore or attack the Crusades, because they were seen as a source of pride and achievement by Catholic monarchs (and in fact, the pope authorized the Spanish to conduct a "Crusade" against England after the death of Mary Tudor and the removal of her husband as the heir to the English crown). If you study the Crusades in say, France, they are taught completely differently.

17. Dorb

Reputations:
    As a catholic, how much of your church contributions go to paying off the victims of your pedophile priests?

18. Rodney21a

Reputations:

Jew much?

19. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Hopefully quite a bit. I don't condone any of the actions taken by the Church in that regard until recently, and I more than realize the Church will be dealing with the implications of it for many years to come (and with good reason).

20. Dorb

Reputations:
    Its one thing to believe in and follow the teachings of Jesus, but quite another to belong to a religion which are organizations of men and only as good and evil as the men that make it up.
    To be a catholic in this day and age, you must be seriously twisted or just plain evil.