New tell all book: AGT is a scam!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Box of Rox, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Box of Rox

Box of Rox Turgid member VIP

Reputations:
    Some highlights:

“Pre-taping is just one of the many clever maneuvers AGT producers employ that go almost undetected by viewers at home,†the book claims.
    “Runner-up Cas Haley ([COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]season [COLOR=blue !important][FONT=inherit !important]2[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]) remembers one uncomfortable episode that took place backstage during the audition rounds. ‘We were all in the green room, waiting to go out and perform and there was this young girl from Hawaii who was with her mom,’ he says. ‘She went out and auditioned and while she was out there, a producer came back to the holding room and told us, ‘OK, she made it, let’s give her a big hand when she comes back in here.’ So, of course, we all cheered for her when she came through the door and she just burst into tears.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    “‘It turns out she didn’t actually make it, they just told us that so we’d cheer and they’d get reaction out of her. That was the first time I realized I couldn’t trust these people. [The show is] not what people think. It’s all for ratings. That’s what they’re looking for.’â€
    Where do the acts come from?
    “Most of the acts who typically advance to Vegas Week and beyond are personally recruited by AGT talent scouts and producers and never wait in line,†the book alleges.
    “Some are discovered on YouTube, others in comedy clubs and performance venues. ‘When I made it to the Top 20, I couldn’t believe I was the only one that really came from an open call audition,’ country singer Julienne Irwin (season 2) said. ‘I was the only one that hadn’t been a professional performer.’â€
    What kind of agreement do the acts have to sign before appearing?
    “You are pretty much signing away your life,†a former contestant said. “It’s almost non-negotiable.â€
    “In exchange for being seen by millions of viewers each week, everyone must agree that producers can trick, exploit and embarrass them — and even depict their personal stories in a manner that ‘may be factual or fictional’ — and they can’t sue for any reason,†the book writes.
    “‘I further understand that my appearance, depiction and portrayal in the program may be disparaging, defamatory, embarrassing…and may expose me to public ridicule, humiliation or condemnation,’ the agreement states.â€
    Season 5 winner Michael Grimm told the book that he was required to use the show’s delegated management company, which he described as horrible.
    “It was a horrible, horrible management company that they set you up with. That it not a good situation. The guy they assigned me to was a green horned rookie,†he said.
    “He had no experience in the music business at all. And I do. I have way more work experience than this manager that was assigned to me. I was telling him how this business works. He was learning from me. That is not good.â€
    The book claims an individual producer works with several acts and while the artist is allowed input, the final decisions are all made by the show.
    Who decides on the song, act or routine?
    “Each act must work within the parameters of a pre-set budget that the executive producers decide for them,†the book says.
    “In some cases contestants are allocated as much as $30,000 to produce a 90 second performance.â€
    Several comedic acts told the book that they were required to submit their jokes to the producers in advance to make sure they cleared network standards and didn’t clash with the show’s family friendly values.

Full article here:

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2...-on-behind-the-scenes-on-americas-got-talent/

2. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    holy crap. Nice post. Not that anyone cares but the more bad publicity the better.

3. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...required to use the show’s delegated management company, which he described as horrible.

Hmmmm, Buchwald and Associates perhaps? :bigthink

4. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    So AGT is as dishonest as Howards radio show.

5. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "You know Robin, all I ever wanted to do was be a judge. America's judge. Now they want to blame me about how the courthouse was built? I'm just the fucking judge, not a builder."

6. Missypooh RN

Missypooh RN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was thinking the same exact thing. All smoke and mirrors... total :bsflag:

7. Skyway

Skyway New Member VIP

Reputations:
    No different than any other fake reality show. They're all scams.

8. dadadipshit

dadadipshit Member

Reputations:
    The American public needs a book to tell them reality shows are plotted and scripted. This is about as ridiculous as ABC news running an expose in the 80's that pro wrestling was scripted.

9. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  10. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:

and in other news water is wet.

:rolleyes:

Anyone who doesn't realize this exact thing goes on with ALL reality shows, talent or otherwise has their head in the sand.

11. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  12. BeerCanThick

BeerCanThick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Gee, the so-called talent scouting and network censoring explains why every stand up is a shitty, hack, boat comic as safe and challenging as mother's milk.

"Clash with the show's family friendly values!" BARF.

13. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Someone's writing an actual book on this? I'm sure a publication that is pamphlet-sized would cover it all.

14. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Tom Cotter earned everything on his own merits. Super Talent, Super Funny

15. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    the lemmings that make up his viewing audience are americas unwashed masses who simply want to let the waves of BS wash over them as they fill their fat faces with the shit that show and all these hideous reality shows shovel. true story

16. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Howard invented AGT?

17. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Nothing new in this book
    Interesting timing for Radar to hype a tell all book ....:bigthink

18. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They should have mentioned that the million dollar prize is a scam and payable over more than 20 years.

19. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Howard needs a black son with a giant afro stat!

Dante Stern
    [​IMG]

20. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Does anyone remember Howard giving Sally Jessy Raphael a rash of shit about how sleazy all the talk shows were especially when they try to catch people crying on video?

And here the King of all Hypocrites winds up working for the sleaziest of all shows exploiting peoples emotions for ratings.