News New York judge: US cannot make Apple provide iPhone data

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Scarlett Ohara, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Scarlett Ohara

Scarlett Ohara VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  2. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good....fuck the feds

3. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Good, I like the FBI
    But they were overstepping their power and authority.

4. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    I think the FBI should be more proactive on a certain email server and away from the people's phones.

5. chrisfromvegas

chrisfromvegas HOOLIGAN VIP

Reputations:
    This is my theory.
    I think the FBI chose this particular case because it was a jihadists phone, it was owned by the government, and the owner is dead.
    Then they purposely got the media involved because they want/need public opinion on their side.
    Once they get that software, they will be able to use it on any apple product.
    The FBI is not happy that they don't have access to people's phones.

I read a poll a while back and if I remember correctly, a majority are with the FBI.
    I think Apple is in a crappy position.

I think the FBI will get their way eventually.

6. Khalil

Khalil participant

Reputations:
    Good. For now.

BethSucks likes this.
  7. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    its a toss up. I dont trust bo or apple

8. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    That's exactly why they did it. They also purposely changed the iCloud password as well so they'd have to come to Apple. None of this is happenstance.

cg256, the G-man and chrisfromvegas like this.
  9. Lance Murdock

Lance Murdock Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's a good theory, except that this ruling if from a "standard" Ny drug case. This isn't the California terrorist case.

chrisfromvegas likes this.
  10. chrisfromvegas

chrisfromvegas HOOLIGAN VIP

Reputations:
    Whoops

11. Craignor

Craignor Bodymore, Murderland VIP

Reputations:
    Good, I am all for the Bill of Rights. Go Apple!

12. thegroovologist

thegroovologist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "FBI could force us to turn on iPhone cameras and microphones, says Apple
    Eddy Cue warns precedent set by San Bernardino case could lead to company being forced to turn users’ smartphones into surveillance devices

If the FBI wins in its case against Apple to help it unlock the San Bernardino killer’s iPhone 5C, it won’t be long before the government forces Apple to turn on users’ iPhone cameras and microphones to spy on them, according to the company’s head of services Eddy Cue.

The FBI has demanded that Apple creates custom software that bypasses certain security features of the company’s iOS to allow law enforcement to brute force the passcode of the gunman’s iPhone 5C.

But according to Apple, making the modifications necessary in this case would set a dangerous precedent in offering backdoors into users’ smartphones.

Cue said to Univision: “Someday they will want [Apple] to turn on [a user’s] camera or microphone. We can’t do that now, but what if we’re forced to do that?

“Where will this stop? In a divorce case? In an immigration case? In a tax case? Some day, someone will be able to turn on a phone’s microphone. That should not happen in this country.”

The FBI is trying to access the locked iPhone of one of the San Bernardino killers and insists it needs Apple’s due to the software protections built into iOS, which require Apple’s unique signature.

But security expert and NSA surveillance leaker Edward Snowden recently said that the FBI’s assertions that only Apple has the capability to unlock the phone is “respectfully, bullshit”.

Other security researchers have said that for Apple to modify the iOS software of the iPhone 5C to allow the FBI to guess the passcode via a machine without losing data would be a slippery slope.

Apple has the backing of the majority of the technology industry, including Microsoft, Twitter, Facebook and Google, which makes the most-used smartphone operating system, Android.

The case will come to a head this month when Apple and the FBI go to federal court to contest the order. The US government was recently dealt a blow in a similar but unrelated case over the unlocking of an iPhone in New York, which it is currently appealing against."

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...orce-us-to-turn-on-iphone-cameras-microphones

---

"Snowden: FBI Claim That Only Apple Can Unlock Phone Is “Bullshit”

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden says the FBI’s ostensibly last-ditch attempt to unlock San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook’s iPhone is a sham.

The FBI last month persuaded a federal judge that the only way to get into the phone was to make Apple write code to undermine its own security protocols. Apple is refusing to comply.

“The FBI says Apple has the ‘exclusive technical means’” to unlock the phone, Snowden said during a discussion at Common Cause’s Blueprint for Democracy conference.

“Respectfully, that’s bullshit,” he said, over a video link from Moscow.

Here’s the discussion, which also included Malkia Cyril, executive director of the Center for Media Justice, and Dan Froomkin, Washington editor of The Intercept. The comments in question come at about the 30-minute mark.

Snowden further explained on Twitter: “The global technological consensus is against the FBI,” he wrote — linking to a blog post on the American Civil Liberties Union website explaining exactly how the FBI could have bypassed the iPhone’s auto-erase function on its own. That’s “one example,” he wrote.

Other technologists have explained how the FBI could have easily accessed the phone’s latest iCloud backup if agents working with San Bernardino County had not reset the iCloud password.

Even so, security researchers say there are other options, like “de-capping” the phone’s memory chip to access it outside the phone (which Snowden has also mentioned), or resetting the phone’s internal counter so that you can guess the passwords as many times as you want. Those techniques are hard and expensive and could destroy the phone, experts say — but have worked in the past.

And that’s not to mention any shadowy tactics the spies from the government’s intelligence community might have. The NSA and CIA have worked for almost 10 years to develop ways to hack into Apple devices, as revealed by The Intercept last year.

The key may be that none of those ways would be nearly as easy for the FBI as making Apple do it — this time, and from now on.

The NSA has been mysteriously absent from the FBI-Apple fight. Conceivably, it tried and failed to hack the phone, but that seems unlikely. Another possibility is that the NSA was excluded on purpose, so the FBI could create a test case."

https://theintercept.com/2016/03/08/snowden-fbi-claim-that-only-apple-can-unlock-phone-is-bullshit/

joe361 likes this.
  13. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    :backlol2: