New Yorkers, they finally got the bastard!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This guy has been the worst thing ever to happen to NY politics...

Sheldon Silver: Bad to the bone
    U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara nails the Assembly speaker dead to rights, and it’s about time
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Thursday, January 22, 2015, 11:34 AM
    [​IMG] Jefferson Siegel/New York Daily News He must pay
    They got the bastard. So say the feds. Presumption of innocence granted, it was a pleasure to see Sheldon Silver in handcuffs. For his offenses against New Yorkers have long been criminal.

As Assembly speaker, Silver has practiced gangster rule fit for a Mafia social club without the guns and goons. Cross him and you were dead politically. Pay tribute and you prospered — if he felt like it.

And that was the legal way of doing business, as sanctioned by laws and rules written by Silver.

Now, Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara has stripped Silver bare as a polite extortionist who used the power of his office and state money to pull down millions of dollars in legal fees for doing absolutely no legal work.

He hooked on with Weitz & Luxenberg, a law shop that represents asbestos victims who suffer from diseases like mesothelioma, while having zero background in the field.

Lawmakers on both sides of aisle call on Sheldon Silver to quit

The deal was that Silver would earn fees by referring clients to the firm. To get those clients, Silver funneled a half-million dollars in taxpayer funds to a prominent mesothelioma physician and directed the doctor to send clients to Weitz & Luxenberg.

After the doctor complied and the firm got nice money out of case settlements, Weitz & Luxenberg paid Silver more than $3.2 million, supposedly his share of the recoveries. Never mind that none of the clients had ever had any contact with Silver.

[​IMG]
    Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver Faces Federal Corruption Charges
    NY Daily News

[​IMG]
    Similarly, Silver put the arm on two major real estate developers who happened to have been regular supplicants for favorable state legislation. At his command, the developers retained a two-person law firm to handle real estate tax work. When the firm collected, Silver got a handsome slice of the action.

All the while, Silver filed false financial disclosure statements, violated attorney ethics rules regarding the disclosure of shared fees, bullied his partners into hiding his dealings and lied about his private income in numerous public pronouncements.

After Gov. Cuomo made an issue of Albany ethics, Silver fought tooth and nail against every reform. Ultimately, Silver used his muscle in a court battle to stop Cuomo’s Moreland Commission from obtaining the same information now uncovered by a federal grand jury. Cuomo disbanded the panel, surely to Silver’s short-lived relief.

But today he’s toast.

And how sweet it is.

smichal, rolltide, 1Vegasgirl and 3 others like this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Thanks Obama

smichal, rolltide, 1Vegasgirl and 2 others like this.
  3. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
  4. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    For those keeping score, this is the guy that worked hard to keep mma out of ny. I guess the envelopes were too light.

5. dexterdog

dexterdog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't live in NY so I've never heard of this guy but he does look like a crooked :oy2:.

6. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    1Vegasgirl likes this.
  7. Shithead

Reputations:
    Another reason to hate DiBlasio

De Blasio: Sheldon Silver is a ‘man of integrity’
    By Aaron Short and Carl Campanile

January 22, 2015 | 3:33pm

Modal Trigger
    [​IMG]
    Photo: David McGlynn
    Sheldon Silver came under pressure from some Democrats as well as Republicans Thursday to give up his post as Assembly speaker after getting snared on federal corruption charges.

But Silver also had his defenders — none more fervent than Mayor Bill de Blasio, who described his Albany ally as “a man of integrity” on the day he was charged with taking bribes of nearly $4 million.

“Although the charges announced today certainly are very serious, I want to note that I’ve always known Shelly Silver to be a man of integrity, and he certainly has due-process rights, and I think it’s important that we let the judicial process play out,” the mayor said at City Hall.

Other Democrats were anxious to move on, saying Silver couldn’t possibly remain in place.

“Speaker Silver should resign for the good of the people of New York,” tweeted state Sen. Brad Hoylman (D-Manhattan).

“Another shameful day in Albany. When we should be discussing State of the State, we are mired in state of corruption. Public deserves better.”

Zephyr Teachout, the liberal Fordham University professor who challenged Gov. Cuomo’s re-election bid last year, said it’s high time for Silver to go.

“The allegations against him represent a massive breach of the public trust and impair his ability to claim a leadership role in New York state,” said Teachout, who wrote a book called “Corruption in America.”

One Democratic Assembly member told The Post privately what he couldn’t say publicly: that Silver would become a “distraction” if he tried to stay in power.

“The right thing to do is, in this case, he should step down. I’m not saying as an Assembly member, but the leader should not be a distraction,” the legislator said.

“There are a lot of important negotiations that are going to be taking place.”

Republicans — who have often been frustrated during Silver’s 20-year reign — said the Teflon has come off.

“It is imperative Sheldon Silver resign immediately as speaker of the Assembly . . . We cannot afford this distraction with the important business before the Assembly and the people of New York state,” said Assembly Republican Minority Leader Brian Kolb.

Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis (R-SI) agreed.

“The demands of running the chamber and serving the taxpayers cannot be compromised by charges of corruption and a judicial proceeding of this magnitude. There is no doubt that New Yorkers desperately need and deserve new leadership of ‘the People’s House,’ ”she said.

Most Democratic allies stood behind Silver — for now.

“All I can say is the speaker has the full support of the conference,” said Assemblyman David Weprin (D-Queens).

Before the corruption bombshell hit, Democrats were awaiting Silver’s appointments to committee chairmanships and other key leadership posts.

Some junior members seeking to move up don’t want to jeopardize their chances by criticizing the speaker, insider said.

8. Shithead

Reputations:
  9. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I think being corrupt must be a qualification to be a politician in New York.

ScottBaiosPenis and Ta Ta Toothy like this.
  10. Big Bad Booey

Big Bad Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  11. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    They are all crooks. This guy just pissed off the wrong person. I'm sure you can find dirt on any politician.

12. Shithead

Reputations:
    This guy ran NY like a mob capo, although with less dignity....Hope he gets a grapefruit sized brain tumor after spending time in prison

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  13. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    De Blasio vouches for him. What does that tell you?:bounce:

14. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Silver was a blight on New York when I lived there in the 90's.

15. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yup

[​IMG]

16. captbill

captbill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    and Chicago.

Father Fichard Daley
    [​IMG]

Son Richard Daley
    [​IMG]

Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr.
    [​IMG]

Guess who
    [​IMG]

reno likes this.
  17. captbill

captbill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My bad, I forgot that 4 of the last 7 Illinois governors are in prison.

Otto Kerner, George Ryan, Rod Blagojevich and Dan W

18. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    I need to hear Ira's take on this

19. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    name one politician who isn't corrupt

reno likes this.
  20. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold