Politics Newt Gingrich, the Internet and the slippery slope

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ChimneySweep, Jul 15, 2016.

1. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I caught a few minutes of old Newt on TV last night trying to out-conservative Trump with his "outrage" after the latest attacks in France. IMO, he was saying some pretty frightening things.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/...ims-be-deported-if-they-believe-sharia/211594

One of the things he said (paraphrasing) was that we need to start locking people up who visit certain websites (ISIL, etc). That is a very, very slippery slope and I, as a libertarian in the truest sense, think is a very bad idea that should be addressed immediately. Do they know (of course they do) how easy it is to "visit" a website? Do they think that anyone reading a website is going to be automatically converted into some raving lunatic/murderer? I believe in freedom of thought and that no government should tell anyone what they can and cannot think or believe or that we should be limited in our ability to share ideas, no mater how unpopular they are or how offensive they might be to some people. There are plenty of laws to protect against actions that harm others or directly lead to harming others.

Of course, the problem is who determines what is a "terrorist" website. We obviously cannot even agree on what the word even means and it is thrown around so often it has broadened to include nearly any act of violence or unpopular speech while simultaneously almost losing its meaning altogether.

Global Elitists HATE the Web for obvious reasons. They have been trying to come up with ways to control it for a long time now because we, the public, have virtually unlimited access to any and all information that anyone want to put out there. Their first line of attack was to flood it with tons and tons of disinformation and misinformation to muddy the waters. Of course you have to use discernment with anything you read. Look at our fake mainstream media for what they would like us to "know" about in the world.

They always use knee-jerk emotional reactions and worst case scenarios to draw public sentiment to their side. The intentions are always sinister, but the bait is always for "your own good" or for seemingly good intentions. They MUST spy on you to protect you..they MUST have access to your every move to protect you and others...and on and on. Classic Orwellian shit.

Also, his comment about banning/deporting any Muslim who "believes in" Sharia Law is ludicrous. Many people believe in many things, but understand that we must tolerate what a secular society and its laws allow. If we cannot reconcile the two, then there is a problem. It happens with ANY group outside the law, religious, political, etc. MANY "mainstream" Muslims believe in Sharia, but understand that the cannot practice all parts of it in a secular nation. Again, it is what you DO that matters and we already have laws to handle those things. And how will we "test" people on that belief? Will they not just lie if they have less-than-good intentions anyway? What if a woman totally opposes abortion, which is legal? Does that mean she should be thrown out of the country? Should she be forced to have an abortion to pledge her allegiance to our laws? What a juvenile approach. It is idiotic.

His words...

2. knuckle_hedd

knuckle_hedd loving life!

Reputations:
    Newt has sharia law nightmares..

3. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    tl;dr

Chiusano likes this.
  4. Gunt

Gunt I don't have time to teach you to speak hobo. Gold

Reputations:
  5. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Newt" is total fucktard. I thought he faded away after he peaked in the mid-90s. I can't decide if the GOP Jebus types are as dumb as they seem to be or if it's an act of some kind. Deliberately stupid. Weird behavior.

6. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    not saying radical Islamic terror is a silly stupid thing
    calling it a truck attack is a silly stupid thing
    saying we'll test people to gauge their love of sharia is a silly stupid thing
    isis has used twitter as means of propaganda--will using this be a felony?
    will simply googling and then looking at some pro-Islamic terror site be a felony? silly stupid stuff

the people in charge of us haven't a clue
    or worse--they know what they're doing is worthless and they're playing a game to stay in power

it's likely the worse option

7. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, I am a believer in "Jebus" and extremely conservative in my personal views. I do understand that I am not in the majority and tolerate (in the true sense) lots of shit I don't agree with. it's the way it works here in America. What the hell does this have to do with Newt? He is a faker and has been playing all sides forever. he is the worst kind of politician, IMO. As much as I think the government has dropped the ball (intentionally or not) on immigration and other things that have led to some of the problems we are seeing, this fucker an the shit he is saying is frightening. There is a a way to handle serious issues without using kid gloves, but he is WAY over the line. Leads me to believe what most have feared about this corrupt government of ours...that they have allowed or even created crisis after crisis in order to use these incidents as an excuse to remove more and more freedom from law abiding citizens.

x76 and scoobyla like this.
  8. joe361

joe361 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fuck Trump for letting this guy resurface for another 15 minutes.

Chiusano likes this.
  9. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Go hang out and pay to be a member at a pedophile website and see how that goes.