Sports NFL bans 9/11 tribute cleats, yikes

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by bootyclause, Sep 10, 2016.

1. bootyclause

bootyclause Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    9/11 tribute cleats, to be auctioned for charity.....NFL uniform police say that's not OK.

Kneeling for the flag on 9/11 - totally fine. "Cops=pigs" socks - good (not part of the uniform?). Endorsing the murder of police on your Twitter account, yup thats fine. White player calling people the N word at a concert, no problem. 95% of the league totally jacked on HGH.....let's keep that quiet.

BUT WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T WEAR SHOES THAT PAY TRIBUTE TO 9/11!!!!! That would be offensive.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/09/police...e-to-pay-players-fine-if-he-wears-911-cleats/

2. bootyclause

Reputations:
    player’s 9/11 tribute cleats
    By Philip Messing

September 9, 2016 | 10:48pm

Two police union honchos are so outraged the NFL threatened to sack a Titans linebacker for wearing a patriotic pair of cleats honoring those who died on 9/11, they promised to pay his fine if he wears them in Sunday’s game anyway, The Post has learned.

Avery Williamson, a starting linebacker for the Tennessee team, hoped to wear a pair of specially-designed cleats at his team’s home opener Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings on the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, but he backed off when a league rep vowed to fine him for violating the league’s uniform code.

The left cleat says 9-11-01, with the 11 in the outline of the Twin Towers, while the right one says Never Forget.

“I don’t want to draw negative attention, so I’m just going to focus on playing the game,” Williamson told the Tennessean newspaper, on Friday.

The news outraged Paul Nunziato, head of the Port Authority Police Benevolent Association.

“I’m making a goal line stand on this. Enough is enough! The NFL is out of bounds on this,” he insisted.

He said that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, by denying Williamson the right to wear the patriotic footwear, had “committed a personal foul against humanity.

“This guy [Williamson] was hoping to honor everyone who died on 9/11, no matter what their country or color.”

Nunziato has teamed up with Patrick Colligan, president of the 33,000 member New Jersey State Policemen’s Benevolent Association, who was equally flabbergasted about the threatened fine.

Both union leaders say they’re urging Williamson to reconsider and wear the cleats – and the two unions will pay his fine.

“Paul and I said, ‘Let’s split his fine.’ If he [Williamson] agrees to wear these cleats, we’ll pay whatever fine he gets,” Colligan said.

“We want him to wear the cleats and we’ll pay the fine. He [Williamson] was absolutely doing a great thing and the NFL is threatening with a fine? When is Godell going to recognize what his fan base is?

“Here’s a player honoring those who died on 9/11 with a pair of cleats that he had made up himself — it’s not like he’s kneeling during the national anthem or anything,” Colligan said, a reference to the controversial decision by San Francisco 49er quarterback Colin Kaepernick not to stand during the national anthem.

Colligan said when he first came across the news about the NFL’s plan to fine Williamson for his plan to wear the cleats he “had to read the story twice.”

Even more galling, he added, is the realization that Kaepernick was not disciplined when he was spotted recently wearing a pair of socks during a team practice that depicted cops as pigs.

“Kapernick can wear ‘pig socks’ and not even garner a response from the NFL, but this guy wants to honor those who tragically died on 9-11 and he’s threatened,” he noted.

Williamson plans to auction the cleats for charity.

3. bootyclause

Reputations:
    /\ /\ /\ sad attempt at embedding article, sorry.

4. Cookie_Puss

Cookie_Puss Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What a bunch of bullshit, didn't they also tell the cowboys they couldn't have a symbol on their helmet that comemerates the the cops from Dallas that died? The politicall correctness is really getting old, I don't understand why it's a crime to be patriotic.

5. bootyclause

Reputations:
    also, I keep hearing this meme that Roger Goodell is this business expert that doubled the league earnings, that is so dumb. He is a monkey flying a spaceship, he didn't do shit. It happened in spite of him.

He is by far the worst public leader of a business in modern history. He is almost like a younger Commandant Lassard from Police Academy. What the hell is this guy doing? He has not effectively handled one single issue in his whole tenure. He botches every problem that arises. It's almost amazing to be that incompetent.

6. Shart Garfunkel

Shart Garfunkel I brought the magic suitcase Gold

Reputations:
    Deflating footballs is more important. Goodell is a fucking idiot.

7. goldphoenix

goldphoenix Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    WTF is wrong with this league?!?!?!?!

8. Turkeyneck

Turkeyneck Howard's got one, not me VIP

Reputations:
    ridiculous.

9. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Although I disagree completely with the League on this, the problem as I think they see it is that a uniform alteration like this opens the door to a whole cavalcade of shit that other players will use to justify what they're wearing. He's wearing Twin Tower shoes so I should be able to wear my Toukie Williams helmet sticker. I like the way the Yankees do it, no beards and neatly trimmed facial hair. You don't like it, play for someone else. Unfortunately, the NFL can't do that. It actually becomes an offensive poster bullshit lawsuit.

Anyonenow and bubba kush like this.
  10. Rod-Stroker

Rod-Stroker Streptococcus Gingivitis Halllllllllllllitosis

Reputations:
    N●○●er's For Lease is a 501(c)(6) not for profit charity.
    Goodell rakes in 44 million a year.

KDK12 likes this.
  11. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You are a 100 percent right but I think in this one instance 9/11 is different especially because of the importance of football at the time and the way the NFL reacted after 9/11
    9/11 is my generations Pearl Harbor and I think we should make an exception in this case.

12. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The NFL incredibly mirrors our society...

- it constantly implements counter-intuitive new rules when it can't enforce the rules it already has on the books.

- it empowers the rights of shitheads, hiding behind rights and procedure, while at the same time punishing those with good intent because they don't follow the exact letter of the law.

- the cost of being a fan continues to skyrocket - tickets, parking, concessions, merchandise are going up, up, up like taxes.

- both are blind to the reality of drugs in their respective cultures.

I could go on and on.

13. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think Goodell see the NFL as a business and absolutely nothing more. I'm not sure if I read this correctly but even all that pink ribbon stuff the do on the field doesn't actually raise money for a cure, like giving it to some research facility, but all it does is raise awareness of breast cancer.

14. Homerj123

Homerj123 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I never wanted to admit it, but we are getting closer and closer to 1984 (the book, not the actual year).

I shutter to think what the world will look like in 10 years.

Cookie_Puss and sstressed like this.
  15. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The hook on the ribbons is it gets women involved and sells more merchandise to girls and adult women. I don't think it was ever really the cause of the NFL, breast cancer, it was just a vehicle to increase market share with a Trojan horse move. They know men will watch it but how do you increase your female viewership, hence the pink outfits. Pretty brilliant.

Stag and BrerJimmy like this.
  16. synch22

synch22 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Don't want to offend the
    Muslim fans. Well done NFL ... Cucks

babybear likes this.
  17. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    I have a feeling that i'm gonna take a shit on nfl football in another season or two if they keep up the nonsense on several levels.

babybear and Stag like this.
  18. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Ganggreen87 likes this.
  19. Shart Garfunkel

Shart Garfunkel I brought the magic suitcase Gold

Reputations:
    Well said.

20. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fuck the NFL, it is getting unwatchable with Latino heritage month, Pink month, and now this militant black lives matter bullshit infesting the game. I'm done man I enjoy it less and less every year. I wish men like me would wake up an turn there back on this shit league, but it's the new opium of the masses. They better watch it though you can only push people so far before they lash out. This protesting on 9/11 shit might wake more people up.