NFL denies DeAngelo Williams request to raise breast cancer awareness

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by LaserT, Oct 13, 2015.

1. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    all season long. Really NFL? :confused:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...st-cancer-awareness-all-season-171644067.html
    The NFL has already come under fire for purporting to care about women's issues, and denying a player the opportunity to further bring awareness to a league initiative won't do much for public perception.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and as a result many corporations take the opportunity to do their part, spreading the word and raising money for a cause that affects one in eight U.S. women (and a small percentage of men, too). The NFL's "A Crucial Catch" effort to encourage annual screenings is no different, as the league donates 100 percent of the proceeds from its pink merchandise and auctions off game-worn pink items in an effort to raise awareness for a deadly disease. That's all good stuff.

The cause is near and dear to Pittsburgh Steelers running back DeAngelo Williams' heart, because he lost his mother Sandra Hill in May 2014 and four aunts all to the disease. That's horrible, so you can see why Williams would prefer to raise breast cancer awareness throughout the year — not just in October.

The NFL isn't cool with that.

2. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The entire pink thing for October is complete PR horseshit from the NFL, but I'm happy I don't have to see more of it in any other month.

Another story concerning DeAngelo Williams and his mom is much, much shittier. Apparently the Panthers used Williams' mom as a big part of their "Pinktober" campaign. But then when she actually died, almost nobody from the organization reached out to him or attended the funeral.

http://deadspin.com/panthers-used-deangelo-williamss-mom-in-pinktober-didn-1687710239

"Nobody came to the funeral," he said. "The owner didn't reach out. He didn't say anything. Never talked to me. Nobody upstairs ever talked to me. The only two people who ever said anything to me was Coach Rivera and Dave Gettleman. Everybody else was... they were busy because it was the draft."

He continued. "I was upset with Carolina, because the last five or six years during October, [my mom] was celebrated, but then when she was no longer here — let's move on. [I was] very disappointed. And, somewhat angry [...] it stung to know that a place of business that you've worked for, you've bled, you've played through injuries, you've done everything you possibly can for this organization to be successful, and then upon your darkest hour, they let you, handle it by yourself."

3. Chatsworth

Chatsworth Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Fuck the NFL. Preachy bastards need to work on their own mess.

Bye You!, LaserT and SalsMasterShake like this.
  4. LaserT

Reputations:
    That's just harsh. It's all about the money, sadly.

FosterKitten likes this.
  5. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits Gold

Reputations:
    The guy is sitting on the bench the rest of the season unless leVeon Bell gets hurt anyways.

SouthernListen likes this.
  6. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Beverly DeAngelo has Breast Cancer ? :omg:

LaserT and Jayla like this.
  7. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    The Panthers story is fucked up, but they are a Mickey Mouse organization, w/ a cheap owner.

The wearing pink for the rest of the year? Fuck that. I can't wait until that bullshit is off my tv screen.

Head Censor and kingship like this.
  8. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Is it surprising that the NFL can't get out of its own way?

LaserT likes this.
  9. LaserT

Reputations:
    I agree, it usually in your face and there's a ton more ways they could raise awareness or really make money for women. My thing is, I just love how the NFL always tries to pretend they are something they are not.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    wife is a whore likes this.
  10. Mojopin

Mojopin Resplendent in his frock VIP

Reputations:
    Great cause. Tits are wonderful.

11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Meanwhile, if you don't have breast cancer, you can go fuck yourself. Despite breast cancer already being far more detectable and treatable than other forms of the disease.

stanggirl and ltd86 like this.
  12. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    who´s not ¨aware¨ of breast cancer??

God forbid we focus on a disease that affects everyone, or the gender of the people who play (and watch, for the most part) the sport

kev likes this.
  13. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Brown ribbons for colon cancer!

14. LaserT

Reputations:
  15. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fck that, where's the prostate cancer awareness?

Domo Cup and kingship like this.
  16. kingship

kingship Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Celebrated year-round w/ the Cleveland Browns.

LaserT and SouthernListen like this.
  17. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I understand why the NFL does this as it would get pretty ridiculous if dozens and dozens of players were wearing something unique on their jerseys/bodies in honor of a cause or person every week.......... but still...... there should be room for exceptions. Especially for something so small and barely noticeable done to honor a former NFL player nonetheless.

Steelers defensive end Cameron Heyward is the son of Craig “Ironhead” Heyward, a former NFL fullback who died at the age of 39 from brain cancer. To remember his father, Heyward wrote “Iron Head” on his eye black for Monday night’s game against the Chargers. That’s against the league’s uniform policy, so he earned a fine. NFL Network’s Rand Getlin confirmed the fine, which appears to be the maximum for a uniform violation.

Heyward tweeted out news of his fine with a photo of his eye black:

Gogol Boobdello likes this.
  18. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    Yes, but let's be fair. There has to be some incentive for the NFL to want to antagonize their most ardent fan base by forcing us to watch all that pink shit flashing across our television screens for an entire month.

Would it be nice if they made some sort of super altruistic gesture that didn't require any quid pro quo? Sure. But in the grand scheme of things, growing the brand a bit and selling some merch doesn't seem like much to ask.

And let's not forget that this isn't simply one month out of 12, but rather fully a quarter of the NFL's entire regular season. This all just strikes me as one of those deals where the breast cancer awareness folks more or less begged the NFL to pander to their cause and then suddenly become offended when they get their wish.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  19. John Mahlin

John Mahlin These go to eleven Gold

Reputations:
    I'm sick of all the fucking ribbons and all the pink. I just want to watch football. Goodell's a cunt.