WTF Nightmare Death Syndrome/ Sudden unexpected death syndrome

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Mar 18, 2016.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sudden unexpected death syndrome (SUDS), sudden unexpected nocturnal death syndrome (SUNDS), sudden adult death syndrome (SADS), or bed death is sudden unexpected death of adolescents and adults, many during sleep.[1][2] Sudden unexplained death syndrome was first noted in 1977 among Hmong refugees in the US.[3][4] The disease was again noted in Singapore, when a retrospective survey of records showed that 230 otherwise healthy Thai men died suddenly of unexplained causes between 1982 and 1990:[5] In the Philippines, where it is referred to in the vernacular as bangungot, SUNDS affects 43 per 100,000 per year among young Filipinos. Most of those affected are young males.[6]

Causes
    No cause of death is found, even after extensive examination in 5% of cases.[7]

A sudden death in a young person can be caused by heart disease (including cardiomyopathy, congenital heart disease, myocarditis, genetic connective tissue disorders, mitral valve prolapse or conduction disease), medication-related causes or other causes.

Rare diseases called channelopathies may play a roles such as long QT syndrome (LQTS), Brugada syndrome CPVT (catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia), PCCD (progressive cardiac conduction defect), early repolarisation syndrome, mixed sodium channel disease, and short QT syndrome.

[​IMG]

Across cultures, night-mare visits play out in very similar ways. Victims experience the strange feeling of being "awake." While they have a realistic perception of their environment, they can't move. Worse, they feel an "overwhelming fear and dread" accompanied by chest pressure and difficulty breathing. Scientists have a pretty good grasp of how all of this happens. The paralysis, the feeling of pressure on the chest, all that is explained quite nicely within the scientific models of sleep. During sleep paralysis, a person experiences an "out of sequence" REM state. In REM sleep, we dream and our minds shut off the physical control of the body; we're supposed to be temporarily paralyzed. But we are not supposed to be conscious in REM sleep. Yet that is precisely what happens during sleep paralysis: it is a mix of brain states that are normally held separate.

And then there is the weird stuff, the Old Hag part, the night-mare. People who have an experience of sleep paralysis tend to feel some horrible, evil being is near them. "I just knew this presence was there. An ominous presence ... not only could I not see it, but I couldn't defend myself, I couldn't do anything," one victim told Adler. This feeling is consistent across cultures, even if it goes by different names and presents through the culture one knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_unexpected_death_syndrome

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...cebo-effect-when-intense-belief-kills/245065/

2. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    Great ... I was thinking about gong to be early tonight too.:mad:

3. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:

please don't die

:bigcry:

lovetalkradio and Skipnoid like this.
  4. YouveSaidItAll

YouveSaidItAll Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Another awesome post. Dude, go outside, or some shit.

lovetalkradio likes this.
  5. Hankjones

Hankjones Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Skipnoid, chapped and Chigs like this.
  6. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    Thanks for the uplifting thread. :ujj:

chapped likes this.
  7. chapped