Nissan to sell $3000 car but not in US

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Oct 2, 2012.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The car won't conform to the safety standards in this country. Also the car will built in the countries it will be sold in. We can't get auto workers to work for $3-5 an hour. How great would it be to be able to buy a new car for $3000 even if it is a piece of crap. We just continue to pay everybody's freight around the world. It's obvious that cars sold in this country are marked up so Nissan can offer a $3000 car in India.

$3,000 Nissan & Datsun, Nissan chief executive Carlos Ghosn wants to relaunch retro-brand Datsun with a price tag as low as $3,000 when it hits the road in 2014, a report said. The company will target drivers in developing nations — India, Indonesia and Russia — offering the barebones model at prices that put it well below current Nissan offerings, according to the Wall Street Journal.
    The paper, citing interviews with Ghosn and other executives, said Nissan is aiming for six Datsun models at between $3,000 and $5,000, a price that only a handful of Indian- and Chinese-made cars could compete with.
    To cut costs, the company will source parts almost entirely from the country in which the finished product is to be made and sold.
    And the absence of rigorous safety standards that would be applied to models aimed at the US or European markets will also help keep the price down, the paper reported.

Source: http://todaynewsgazette.com/3000-nissan-datsun/

2. mpa

mpa Active Member

Reputations:
    i'll take an air bag, a gas tank that doesn't explode if rear ended, air conditioning, a crumple zone, leather seats, power steering, modern breaks etc and spend some more money

3. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    Nissan makes ugly cars . . .

4. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If we have safety standards why are motorcycles allowed on the road? Those people are outside of their vehicle. How unsafe can a $3000 car be if you are still inside?

5. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Exactly.
    I made it through childhood and my teens in cars with no seatbelts, no airbags, and dashboards made out of the same material as the front fender.

6. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    While diving over the front seat into the back and vice versa :cheer:

7. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    So basically they don't want us to have an option to buy the cheap car because they want to keep gouging us on price.

8. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The government doesn't want you to have the car because it wants to protect you (whether you want to be protected or not). The fact that car companies can price gouge is an added bonus.

9. Wonder Trash

Wonder Trash Active Member

Reputations:
    Can't be any less safe than the 1968 fiberglass dune buggy I used to drive in 2003.:coffee:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  10. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    That's a Meyer's Manx! (but it looks like it's a single port. ) :cooljump:

11. Wonder Trash

Wonder Trash Active Member

Reputations:
    California Clipper actually (very thin fiberglass compared to a Manx :()

And yes, that is a 1968 1500cc single port engine...all 50 some-odd horsepower of it.:cheer:

12. blottomsup

blottomsup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would love to know how much Nissan spends annually on litigation costs in defense of product liability claims, settlements included.

I would venture a guess that at least $500 of the price of every new vehicle sold goes to those expenses.

13. Johnny B

Johnny B Active Member

Reputations:
    You can buy $3,000 cars all day long here if you want to.. but they would be used. I have never bought a used car, but I have friends who have and if you do your research you get get a good, safe, reliable car cheap.

14. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    yeah and it's 15 years old and had 150,000 miles on it.

15. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, but the cum stains in the back seat are still fresh and if you feel around under the seat a bit, you might be able to find a syringe that only 2 or 3 other people have used so far.

16. Johnny B

Johnny B Active Member

Reputations:
    You can easily get a used Honda or Hyundai with under 100,000 miles in good shape for under $3,000. And they all aren't 15 years old, I just did a quick search that took 1 minute and found Hyundai's that were in the 80,000 mile range from 2004 for $2,995. I'm positive with more effort you could find an even better deal.. because I hardly even looked.

17. Johnny B

Johnny B Active Member

Reputations:
    Or a Kia or Daewoo, they are even cheaper..

18. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    The illiterate black guy who used to dig footings for my father's construction business (by hand, with a shovel) for extra cash had a used car, kids, and a wife at home. But he worked hard and worked odd jobs on the side. He wasn't chilling with a $4 bag of doritos texting on his $600 phone on Saturdays, and he was over 40, not 20 something. He would get off his regular construction job, drive over to the jobsite, and start digging till it got too dark to see. Poor fucker didn't realize he could just vote himself money from someone else like we do today in the name of "social justice".

Nissan doesn't subsidize car prices in India by charging us more. They sell cars there to make a profit and probably to build brand loyalty in what will one day be a huge market for real cars as India gets more affluent.

Manufacturers don't add safety features to "price gouge". They add them because they're required to by law or because they help sell cars to people smart enough to value their family's safety. Smarter people tend to have money to buy new cars. Cars up to a certain price level are screaming bargains these days. You can get $25,000 cars that in some ways are nearly as good as $55,000 ones were just over a decade ago.

If you really want a nice car and can't find a decent paying job, drop the metrosexual "can't get dirty" attitude, take off the loafers, put on some work boots, get some testosterone injections if needed, and go find a real man's job. Many of them still pay well if you're willing to work hard. There are only so many office flunkies, sociologists, english majors, and such needed. They're much more likely to need a welder than a liberal arts major, a small engine mechanic than a communications major. The bubble meant the economy was bigger than it otherwise would have been. Now it's deflating back to normal.

1982-2007 was a cheap money bubble fantasy. We gutted manufacturing and imported foreign laborers to do our real work, thinking we'd all just chill in the AC, chat on the phone, send a few emails and make six figures. Before that most middle class people worked on farms, in factories, or did service work labor. They didn't sit in offices or cubicles surfing the web while pretending to work, with an administrative assistant bringing them coffee at age 22.

The bubble burst. Those days are over. Like I heard Herm Edwards say, "a goal without a plan is a wish". Want a decent car? Go work to get one.

19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Fuck Yeah! [​IMG]

20. Johnny B

Johnny B Active Member

Reputations:
    "The working man is a sucker"

-Kid from A Bronx Tale