News No more 5-star reviews for Yoda on Amazon?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by blindbella, Apr 11, 2015.

1. blindbella

blindbella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Amazon sues alleged reviews-for-pay sites
    The company has sued four separate sites this week, but only named one person so far linked to any of these sites.

[​IMG]
    BuyReviewsNow.com is one of the four websites Amazon sued for allegedly selling fake reviews.BuyReviewsNow.com
    Amazon has filed suit against four websites that allegedly sell phony product reviews that are placed on its main site, Amazon.com, marking the first time the company has taken legal action against such practices.

The Seattle-based online retailer filed the suit Wednesday in a Washington state court against a California man, Jay Gentile, who allegedly runs BuyAzonReviews.com, as well as several unknown parties running three other sites: BuyAmazonReviews.com, BayReviews.net and BuyReviewsNow.com.

"While small in number, these reviews threaten to undermine the trust that customers, and the vast majority of sellers and manufacturers, place in Amazon, thereby tarnishing Amazon's brand," Amazon said in the suit.

[​IMG]
    A few of the allegedly misleading reviews Amazon included in its lawsuit.Washington State Superior Court
    Customer reviews have been a critical part of Amazon's business for over 20 years, with the written reviews and 5-star rating system providing buyers and sellers with a helpful form of accountability and sign of popularity and quality of products. But, like with any rating system, people try to work around it. Amazon says it has invested heavily with automated and manual controls to monitor the hundreds of millions of reviews on its site to maintain their authenticity and prevent reviews that may deceive customers.
    "Despite substantial efforts to stamp out the practice, an unhealthy ecosystem is developing outside of Amazon to supply inauthentic reviews," Amazon said in the suit.

An Amazon representative declined to comment, saying the company doesn't comment on active litigation.

Representatives of BuyAmazonReviews.com and BuyReviewsNow.com didn't immediately respond to emailed requests for comment. BuyAzonReviews.com appeared to no longer be accessible online.

GeekWire and the Seattle Times first reported on the suit.

[​IMG]
    BuyAmazonReviews.com
    The Seattle Times said it had an email interview with Mark Collins, the alleged owner of BuyAmazonReviews.com, who told the publication: "We are not selling fake reviews. however we do provide Unbiased and Honest reviews on all the products ... and this is not illegal at all."
    The Amazon suit claims that BuyAzonReviews.com didn't even require a company to ship its products to its reviewers, suggesting those buying its services simply ship empty boxes or envelopes for tracking purposes. These reviewers would still post "glowing five-star reviews ... on products they never received," the suit claims. The other three sites, Amazon said, offer similar reviews for sale. On BuyReviewsNow.com, the price for written reviews starts at $80 and goes up to $600, depending on how many reviews a company wanted.

Amazon is claiming the sites violated its trademarks for misleading use of its logo and name, fair competition laws, anti-cybersquatting laws and other laws. It requests the sites cease and desist activities related to Amazon, provide information on each fake review created and the accounts of the people who paid for them, as well as financial damages.

John Sterling, Dlist, smichal and 6 others like this.
  2. BringBackJackie

BringBackJackie Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    "Jay Gentile"? Sounds like a Jew trying to stir things up

smichal, jameslanza and blindbella like this.
  3. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    i sometimes write reviews there, but i write pretty much the way i post here: unfunny and unforgiving. Nobody will accuse me of having an ulterior motive.

Jayla, CrucifiedAGT, smichal and 2 others like this.
  4. Quality Control

Quality Control dove Gold

Reputations:
    J'accuse! Not having an ulterior motive is an ulterior motive!! ;-D

smichal likes this.
  5. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    A few years ago, I ordered a SanDisc SD card for my pad and it was sold from one of those outside vendors with a fine rating. I got it and it was a cheap counterfeit piece of shit that refused to even load. I complained and was ignored, so I wrote a negative review on the vendor, and then I noticed every other review was bullshit. There would be a pissed off review followed by a glowing review saying they were the best company ever dealt with. I even complained to Amazon saying that their rating is obvious bullshit and people are getting ripped off! They just said, sorry for your trouble, we'll look into it.

smichal and blindbella like this.
  6. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    I have to say, for Yoda to garner a 4.3 rating seems a bit much. I'm not sure Hemingway could get that.

But, then again, WGAF if she is spending Howard's money to hire Buchwald & Associates to hire a subcontractor in Bangalore to right glowing reviews, in halting English, of a book that nobody, and I mean nobody, will care about a year from now?

7. Scarlett Ohara

Scarlett Ohara VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  8. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    I once had a "Gentile" as a neighbor.. Dago name

9. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    "On BuyReviewsNow.com, the price for written reviews starts at $80 and goes up to $600, depending on how many reviews a company wanted."

That site looks pretty expensive - Howard wouldn't want Beth's PR team spending that kind of money on a fake review and they're probably just going with the cheap ones provided by people in foreign countries. Too bad the screen capture of the reviews in the article didn't include one of the many suspect 5 reviews of the Yoda book.

smichal, blindbella and Beffquus like this.
  10. HorseFanNetwork

HorseFanNetwork Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "robin,who hires people to write fake reviews", people like that must have nothing going on"

11. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    i bought a leather cover/portfolio for an old tablet a few years back. It came with a letter that if I reviewed it on Amazon positively and sent the link, they'd reimburse the cost back onto my CC and I'd just have paid the shipping. The cover was actually pretty well made so I gave it a 5 star instead of the normal 4 review and ended up just paying the shipping costs. I thought it was pretty clever for a new vendor on there to make a name for themselves, but also bemoaned that my previous "consensus rating confidence" had now been shattered.

12. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

13. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    I noticed that boeuf's fake reviews happened solidly during a 3-month period. after that they have slowed down to a trickle.

14. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...the bitch set up a portable table at costco to try and hawk that shit book. that was desperation. she didnt wear her big ring either, probably afraid some costco heathen might try to steal it. she should have named the event hamptons goes to costco. fucking hillbilly cunt.

Scarlett Ohara, smichal and Jayla like this.
  15. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    That was hilarious.

Scarlett Ohara and R.P. McMurphy like this.
  16. oh the good old

oh the good old aka Empty Wallet

Reputations:
    Casablanca_ClaudeRains_Shocked.jpg

nearly.normal likes this.
  17. Scarlett Ohara

Reputations:
    Please tell us how you really feel ;)

smichal and R.P. McMurphy like this.
  18. Scarlett Ohara

Reputations:
    It was. On a normal Saturday it's a traffic jam and she had 2 people at her signing.

smichal, Honkey Donkey and Jayla like this.