Not a huge Opie & Jim fan... BUT

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by CrazyPatSherill, Sep 26, 2015.

1. CrazyPatSherill

CrazyPatSherill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Last week they had Pete Davidson from SNL on for the first time. He was young, energetic and very funny. He clicked well on the show, so they held him over several segments, and had him in the next day as well. On one of the days he was in, the news broke about the comedian who lied about being in the towers on 9/11. Davidson has a special perspective on it because his dad was killed on 9/11. It was great. Spontaneous and free wheeling.

EXACTLY like the Stern show used to be 20-30 years ago. This is exactly what's missing from the show. Young comics or other guests who are allowed to sit in, and if they click with Howard and the audience they would come in the next day, or the next week, and stay over several segments. That's part of what made the show great. It felt like a hang. Now, even if Howard had Pete Davidson on, it would be harrible. It would be the same old pop psychology bullshit questions. Davidson would NOT be allowed to shine.

The Stern Show sucks. I can't BELIEVE I've been reduced to comparing O&J favorably to Howard. Ugh. Retire, Wigward.

2. SternsEgo

SternsEgo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just started listening to O&J/O&A....It is what howard use to be. Shock comedy, making fun of everyone, and stream of d-list comedians. I also like how they shit all over siriusxm, and howard.

3. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    It's not close to the Howard golden days. A better comparison would be O and A. Opie and Jim is terrible. Opie is a hack.

4. SternsEgo

SternsEgo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like Jim, always did, opie on the other hand I can see why people don't like him he often comes off as just another voice.

RonHeinzkaboot and JoeyDoubles like this.
  5. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    Anthony was the "bite" to the show.

6. funnymoney

funnymoney Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think the first Pete Davidson appearance was when Rick Springfield was on 8-4-15. He was pretty quiet that day but they've been having him on quite a bit and he's been opening up and is funny as hell. There was one episode where Mike Bochetti was on that was particularly hilarious. Mike evidently helped out Pete when he was first starting out and Pete told stories about him. The one you're talking about was probably the best though where they were talking about the guy who claimed he was in the second tower on 9-11. Pete has been one of the best parts of the show over the last few weeks, even the particularly harsh fans have almost universally praised him.

O&J may not be a great show (because of the Opestser, he's not funny and now he thinks he's a comedian and a political commentator), but they have a comic in just about every day to comment on the news and they stay for guest interviews. The interviews are a lot more interesting.

Howard desperately needs to bring in comics, at least for the news. Robin's news is unlistenable now.

7. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    Anthony made Opie. Opie was in the biz before Anthony but going nowhere. He caught gold with Cumia but now he's gone.

8. Getoninja

Getoninja Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm so sorry I tried my hardest to listen to O&A even when they would bashed Stern, but I don't find them one bit funny and interesting, they are kind of annoying in a bad way.
    But Jim Norton is great, enjoyed him since the Tough Crowd show days, also like his appearances on Arties show , Vice show and cameos on Louie

9. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Opie is, was and always will be the show's hole.

10. Tim

Tim ty dawg for gold! Gold

Reputations:
    That sounds nice, but I don't know if I can deal with Dopie. He's just so annoying without Anthony.

Pete Davidson was unexpectedly funny on SNL, I feel bad for him that the show isn't doing that great. They need to get rid of Bobby Moynihan (aka generic token fat guy making silly faces), and they need to get rid of Leslie Jones, the black giantess who fucks up her lines like a retard every episode. actually get rid of Aidy Bryant too.

11. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Loved O&A.

But O&J is one fugitive shy of being radio vomit.

Opie needs to quit.

12. Johnny Primo

Johnny Primo New Member

Reputations:
    If you could choose.. would you want Howard to interview Leonardo DiCaprio or a d-list comedian?

13. JoeyDoubles

JoeyDoubles Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree. I've said it before and I'll say it again, anyone and I mean ANYONE can do what Anthony does. He's not funny AT ALL. He just agrees with everything Jimmy says. Harrible

14. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    Wouldn't care if either did.

15. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    I think you're confused. Bite to the show is a compliment.

16. JoeyDoubles

JoeyDoubles Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Oh sorry. I didn't mean Anthony! I meant Opie! It's way to early for me. My bad!

17. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    :hat::hat:

18. tooth

tooth Active Member

Reputations:
    I've been U2bing 'opie fights" lately. I don"t really know who Sam/Troy/Erock etc. are but some of the fights are pretty good.

19. fland

fland Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The show pretty much died when Ant was fired. At their height you would get the same double over laughs you only got during Stern's Jackie/Billy West era. One of the funniest shows ever was when Bill Burr was in studio and the comic with schizophrenia came in to do his act and they kept repeating shit over and over to mess with him:

Sickboy likes this.
  20. TheHighHat

TheHighHat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He comes off a lot worse than "just another voice". He makes terrible sound awesome. He's the worst.

Also, Opie and Jim have these terrible producers now, too: the Stangel brothers. They're awful.

The Pete Davidson stuff was an oasis in a sea of shit. The show is 98% unlistenable.

Wainegro and Sickboy like this.