Not "Getting Things Done" (Greg vs. Lisa G)

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by jat87, Sep 3, 2015.

1. jat87

jat87 Active Member

Reputations:

While I hate how Howard went about reorganizing the back office, it seems like his staff brought it upon themselves, at least in part. In this fight between HowardTV cameraman Greg and Lisa G, he constantly asks to be taken out of the decision, only for Gary to snap back and offer pretty much no change at all. Gary's probably absolutely right - even if he's put "in charge" of the Lisa/Greg situation, he knows Howard may one day decide to stick his nose back in it, despite wanting to be out of the loop. It was the same way with Doug Goodstein. For years, Howard kept asking for more leadership in the back, less unprofessional behavior with guests and the media, and separation between him and the off-air minutae. We have Howard joining AGT and trying to blossom in the mainstream to truly blame, but maybe his crew could have stepped up so we didn't get Turk'd.

In my comparatively short time working in entertainment, this is a fairly regular occurrence. The boss changes his or her whim all the time. You can call out the contradictions while still working under their rule. Gary just never had the seasoning in the real world to properly deal with this stuff. That, and Howard raised him (for lack of a better term) to think of the on-air product first. Howard shot himself in the foot by blurring the lines between on-air and off-air, thus always undermining the office politics at his show. Until now. Sadly.

SomerSky and TheMercenary like this.
  2. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Booey sucks, no doubt about it. He's nothing more than Howard's executive assistant for the show but the lack of discipline and order rests entirely on Howard's shoulders.

Howard needed backroom chaos for content for the show. He took away from Booey all ability to discipline. Hell, he hired Sal, the loser in the 'Win John's Job' contest whose entire claim to fame was that he mercilessly busted Booey's balls.

jat87 and TheMercenary like this.
  3. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I wouldn't call bus-boy at Chuck-E-Cheese's "working in entertainment".

4. flonsta

flonsta Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I still remember Howard reading that letter out loud from Robert Mills at ABC. Gary had been talking about how he planned to get a big producing job in television post-Stern. Mills wrote that he'd love to give Gary an opportunity to get coffee and make photocopies to learn about the business.