Now the knockout game IS a hate crime

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Goods, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Goods

Goods Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    White Alleged 'Knockout' Assailant Plans Constitutional Challenge To Hate Crimes Charge

WASHINGTON -- A bipolar, 27-year-old Texas man who allegedly filmed himself punching an elderly African-American man as part of the "Knockout Game" will challenge the constitutionality of the federal hate crimes statute under which he was charged, his lawyer told The Huffington Post Monday.

Conrad Alvin Barrett was arrested last week and charged by federal prosecutors in connection with the November assault. He was denied bail on Friday, and is currently in federal custody. The 79-year-old victim spent several days in the hospital after the attack.

Barrett was charged under The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009, which had a broader reach than previous hate crimes statutes. The government has argued that Congress' power to pass the hate crimes laws comes from the 13th Amendment, which outlawed slavery, because hate crimes laws help eradicate badges of slavery.
    George Parnham, a lawyer for Barrett, said in an interview that he planned to challenge the constitutionality of the hate crimes statute. He said it was "absolutely" inappropriate for the feds to get involved in this case, and that this type of alleged assault should have been charged under existing Texas law. His client could face up to 10 years in prison and a fine of $250,000 if convicted on the federal level.
    "This is a case that could have easily been handled by state authorities," Parnham told HuffPost.

DOJ has already successfully defended several challenges to the 2009 hate crimes statute in court, with judges finding that Congress has extensive authority under the 13th Amendment to prohibit racially motivated violence. One federal judge wrote that the Supreme Court has "strongly implied that racially motivated assaults constitute a badge of slavery under the 13th Amendment."

The "Knockout Game" isn't new, but several cases highlighted in the media have involved black assailants targeting white victims. The fact that this is the only "knockout" case to be prosecuted by the feds has not gone unnoticed by conservative outlets.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...mes-charge_n_4519982.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

2. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    He fucked up then got fucked up by the legal system, we're not exactly losing a cure for cancer with this little cracker being locked up.

3. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    Aside from all that, who the fuck punches a 79 year old in the face? Under any circumstance?

4. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    somebody that doesn't want to get hit back.

5. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    Exactly. Coward. Despite anyone's opinion on all this hate crime nonsense, this prick deserves to rot.

6. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    The answer would be the disrespectful youth of America.

7. Goods

Goods Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Agreed. That is really fucked up.

8. hillbilly

hillbilly Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Sucks that it happened, but byGod it should be prosecuted the same if a black targets a white.

9. datchguy

Reputations:
    He also dropped the "n" bomb a few times before, during, and after. :facepalm:

10. harlock

Reputations:
    he'll learn all about "fair" in jail. :)

11. hillbilly

Reputations:
    so, why do the blacks target the whites? That is what I want an answer to, because it happens FAR more frequently.......and because I am white

12. Gromit

Gromit New Member

Reputations:
    Sure, but we all know how sensitive this shit is, so I think one would avoid punching anyone black unless you had to, especially a fucking senior citizen for no fucking reason.

13. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    "Its only hate when the victim is black.."

[​IMG]

14. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    while the defendant is a little piece of shit, won't it be interesting to see why this was considered a "hate" crime and the hundreds of others which have flown under the radar the past few years haven't.

15. Goods

Goods Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wouldn't want to advise any victim of a black on white crime to tell the police the attacker yelled honkey or cracker right before and after the crime, but you know what to do. You know what to do.

16. hillbilly

Reputations:
    Before or after I bust a cap on them?

17. datchguy

Reputations:
    It's so fucking weird though how some crimes are labelled hate crimes and others are just crimes. Either it's all the same or it's not, don't give me any of this doublespeak bullshit. If I would've decked some 79 year old man (pick any race you want) my fucking father would let me rot in jail for what I've done and he'd be right to do so. Anyone that beats the shit out of someone for being perceived as weaker and an easy target is a piece of shit and should be treated accordingly. A piece of shit is a piece of shit across the board. :burn:

18. harlock

Reputations:
    yes

19. hillbilly

Reputations:
    yea, but some races glorify this shit.

20. booybob

booybob Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    then call the news