NY Knicks coaching staff all fired

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Onehourphoto, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Onehourphoto

Onehourphoto Maverick Gold

Reputations:
    (Wiggy related as he likes to go to MSG and stare at the big black men)

"The New York Knicks announced on Monday that head coach Mike Woodson has been relieved of his coaching duties in addition to the rest of the coaching staff.

Mike Woodson, after last season delivering the Knicks their first Atlantic Division title since 1993-94, was let go as head coach Monday in a move that was anticipated even prior to Phil Jackson taking over as president last month.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Mike Woodson and his entire staff,” Jackson said in a press release. “The coaches and players on this team had an extremely difficult 2013-14 season, and blame should not be put on one individual. But the time has come for change throughout the franchise as we start the journey to assess and build this team for next season and beyond.”

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. jimbronie

jimbronie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Oh no! I hope his court side seats aren't in jeopardy.

3. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Woodson was dead in the water. The players quit on him this season. Since Jackson got there, he's wanted Steve Kerr to coach his team.

4. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    This outcome was even less in doubt than the pitifully inevitable daily posting of at least one attn-whoring Whorsey selfie

5. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Herb Williams :sadbye2::sadbye2::sadbye2::sadbye2::sadbye2:

6. BringBackJackie

BringBackJackie Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Yep. Now get Kobe for Carmelo and the Knicks can work the Triangle

7. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    Damn. The Stern curse. Of course, he's on vacation while this happens. I would have loved to have heard him weigh in on this move. Nobody knows more about sports than Wiggy, right Robin?

8. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Coaching staff are always sacrificial lambs. Their contribution to a win/loss of a game is greatly exaggerated. They're paid peanuts compared to what players are paid and that says it all about their influence on the outcome.

It's just a bullshit move by the management. They need to fire someone so they fire coaching staff.

9. LaserT

Reputations:
    I think coaches are just important as the players. But that's just me. :dontknow: Although even though I like Woodson and think he's a good coach, he definitely lost his team this season and I don't think Jackson would fire him just for the sake of firing him.

10. NotMyBro

NotMyBro VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I thought so too but then I looked at betting sites and handicappers who calculate all that stuff and the data coming out is that coaching in NBA has very little influence on the outcome. It's actually so insignificant that pro handicappers and betters don't even care if some big coach joins some team. It's really all about players.

Here's a good summary of what loses games: http://www.coachesclipboard.net/Why_Games_Are_Lost.html

Almost every coach that's in one of the NBA teams knows how to coach well. It's just that not every team has the money to buy the best players.

Now, when it comes to college basketball, coaching does matter! Most of the players are young and inexperienced and coach can guide them to a win.

11. LaserT

Reputations:
    Yeah I guess it's all how you look at it or how you want to bet games and what your want to put your priorities on, but look what Jackson did with the Lakers and as soon as he left and Brown took over, they tanked. Same team....horrible results.:dontknow:

Now if you bet the Lakers on that same team and say who cares who coaches, you would've lost your shirt.

12. LaserT

Reputations:
    Also I'm not a bettor, so I probably don't have a good take/opinion on the betting stand point or whatever. I was just saying from a playing standpoint, a coach is valuable as hell in my opinion.

13. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I dont 100% blame Woodson, but he was a poor coach. The reason for the Hawks, despite amazing talent, never anywhere was because his offense is pure iso and he cant command the respect of his players.

He has also had some truly terrible dickheads to work with because management fell in love with the likes of Josh Smith and then JR Smith. He would make for a great assistant coach, but hes not a very good head coach.

14. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    Until Jim Dolan gets gay cancer and dies, the Knicks will be a mess. Jackson has autonomy until Dolan wants to meddle and then Jackson will take a hike.

Donnie Walsh was smart, and didn't want to give up all those players for Melo, when he could just sign him in the off season, FOR LESS MONEY. I hope Jackson has nuts enough on him to tell Melo, "We aint winning shit w/ just you. Home town discount, or there is the door."

New York Playoff Basketball will only be seen in Brooklyn for the next couple years.

15. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The knicks are just a mess.

JR and Melo cannot play effectively together because both are ball hogs. Amare is effective but is always 2 seconds away from breaking down.

Schumpert is a great defender, but has been poorly developed and has no offense. Still he fills a thabo sefolosha type role. Felton is an absolute joke and they should have started Urdih over him.

They have a shit bench, especially when JR starts. They have no good bigs behind Chandler and Amare who are both fragile, and they have no capable PG on their roster anymore. Top to bottom is a shit team that Melo, while being a fucking ballhog dick hole, still carried every year.

16. BeerCanThick

BeerCanThick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The Knicks are the Dallas Cowboys of basketball. They were relevant decades ago but coasting on big market money and they've got a lunatic owner,
    Dolan, just like Jerry Jones. He crippled the Rangers for the better part of 20 years with abysmal signings and he's a meddler with the Knicks, too.

He didn't want to get Kyle Lowry this year, either. He pussies out in free agency and blows money on big name signings that don't get the job done.

Dolan is one of the worst things that can happen to your sports franchise: The owner who has a mind for money and since he has so much money he conflates
    that with general excellence in everything else. "Of course I'm a good talent scout and coach. I made a billion dollars doing something unrelated to sports!"

:/

17. LaserT

Reputations:
    Dolan knows nothing about Hockey. He doesn't really get involved like he does with the Knicks. All the signings since 2000 have been done by Pres/GM Glen Sather.

18. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    Jim Dolan doesn't have a mind for money. His daddy is the CEO of Cablevision, and Jim was given MSG to run. When his mismanagement was impacting investors perception of Cablevision, they spun off MSG/Knicks/Rangers.

19. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just let Phil Jackson borrow ETM's wheelchair and coach

20. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Tweener