NY Local 804 Teamsters fight back, force UPS to rehire drivers

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    http://www.fightbacknews.org/2014/4...amsters-fight-back-force-ups-rehire-drivers-0

(Dustin Ponder is a union activist and member of Teamsters 804.)

By Dustin Ponder |
    April 9, 2014

New York, NY – Since the Feb. 26 walkout at the UPS facility in Maspeth, Queens, Teamsters Local 804 and UPS traded blows in a critical struggle over the fate of 250 workers and their families. Workers walked out to defend a union activist and 24-year worker, Jairo Reyes, after UPS walked him off the job. The company authorized Reyes to start early in the weeks leading up to Feb. 26, but when he filed a grievance over UPS abusing seniority provisions in the contract, the manager went back and claimed he was never authorized to start early, and ironically tried to fire Reyes for “dishonesty.”

The struggle that exploded over UPS’ abuse of their workforce and the unjust firing of union activists ended with the company giving in to the demands of Local 804 and the legion of supporters that they assembled nationwide. Today, April 9, UPS settled with the Executive Board of Local 804, and agreed to rehire all the fired workers, including Jairo Reyes, and committed to treating workers with dignity and respect.

Richard Pawlikowski, a veteran driver who participated in the walkout, spoke about the conditions in Queens, “In our contract, UPS agreed to treat us with dignity and respect at all times. They don’t even do it for five minutes. They treat us like criminals. It finally reached a boiling point.”

Pawilkowski was one of the 36 out of the 250 Queens drivers who actually walked off the job, and who UPS claimed would be replaced. When asked about how he felt after being fired by the company he gave so much for, he said, “I walked out with my pride. I didn’t do anything wrong. I had a clean conscience. I’ve grieved hundreds of abuses by the company, and I have no discipline in my file.”

After the walkout, UPS issued working terminations to the 250 participants. In response, Local 804 launched a national campaign of support that included gathering over 120,000 names on petitions, solidarity from hundreds of local unions and aggressive support from a wide range of politicians. The union held several rallies, and many of the fired drivers even went and discussed the situation with their customers, who demanded UPS rehire their delivery drivers. As support and solidarity continued to spread, UPS caved.

Driver Tom Oliver, who participated in the walkout, spoke about the union power that ultimately brought UPS to the table. “It’s a sweet victory that only happened because we stuck together and we got tremendous support. Even with all the stress that came with the walkout and the aftermath, it brought attention to a lot of problems with our facility that I hope can be corrected.”

Oliver, a committed union fighter, and family man with a wife and two children, joined the walkout and stood up for justice despite the threats of retaliation from UPS. “I think the excessive overtime, the unfair discipline, the micromanaging and the outright bully tactics took a toll on all of us. The unjust firings and, specifically, the firing of Jairo Reyes was the straw that broke the camel’s back.”

After a battle that inspired thousands of union members across the country, Local 804 members look forward to resting easy for a night after several weeks of uncertainty. The message from the Local 804 website read: “Tonight is first and foremost about the 250 drivers and their families. We congratulate them on standing together through this ordeal and winning their return to work with respect and dignity.”

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...0-queens-drivers-talk-union-article-1.1751467

UPS re-hires 250 drivers who were axed for work stoppage after daylong negotiations with union

UPS wrapped up its bitter labor dispute with the Teamsters union Wednesday night, putting 250 fired workers back in their drivers’ seats.

The accord was struck after Teamsters Local 804 and top UPS executives spent the day negotiating at a Manhattan law firm, sources told the Daily News.

The deal rescinds the termination notices given to 250 Queens drivers after they walked out for 90 minutes on Feb. 26 to protest the firing of longtime driver Jairo Reyes, a union activist.

Reyes also gets his job back, according to the sources.

In return, the union agreed the walkout was “illegal and unauthorized,†said Andy McGowan, media relations director for UPS.

“The settlement includes the following actions: IBT Local 804 agrees to compensate UPS for damages associated with the loss of productive employee time, other company costs and the negative impact on goodwill relating to the February 26 unauthorized walkout and related actions,†McGowan said.

The union agreed to pay the company undisclosed damages for deliveries missed during the 90-minute walkout. In addition, all the drivers who participated have to serve a short suspension, sources said.

The Atlanta-based shipping company had played hardball with Local 804, refusing to back down from its position that it had the right to fire any worker who participated in the work stoppage. UPS had removed 36 workers from the payroll at the Maspeth depot in the past two weeks.

After negotiations failed last month, the union turned to elected officials and UPS customers for help.

Public Advocate Letitia James wrote the company a letter, reminding it that it had a $43 million contract with the state — as well as other perks, including city parking ticket privileges that saved it millions.

“Today we are celebrating a victory for working-class New Yorkers. The 250 truck drivers at the UPS facility in Maspeth who were in jeopardy of losing their livelihoods will now have their jobs reinstated,†James said Wednesday night. She thanked those who supported the workers and added “We have sent a clear message to corporate America that firing workers en masse for minor workplace disagreements is unacceptable.â€

The state Working Families Party also rallied to the union’s cause, launching a petition drive that amassed 100,000 signatures, said Bill Lipton, the party’s state director.

"Working Families was proud to support the Teamster members who ran an inspiring, relentless campaign to mobilize hundreds of thousands of supporters to defend 250 workers and their families,†Lipton said.

UPS, which employs 6,000 union workers citywide and 16,000 across the state, said it valued its business with New York and hoped to maintain its good relationship.

But the company said it couldn’t condone walkouts like the one Feb. 26 because they put its customer relations in jeopardy.

Some customers, however, let the company know they didn’t approve of the decision to fire the drivers.

“You’re firing 250 drivers/workers and guess what? I’m firing you!! I’m boycotting UPS until these people are rehired!!†customer Rose Mary Rios wrote on Facebook on Wednesday, before the agreement was announced.

“Stop firing drivers in retaliation,†wrote Leon Laporte, in one of several dozen messages left in support of the workers.

3. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    Power to the people! :yay:

4. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Pussies. They should have stuck to their guns. My nephew is in the Teamsters at UPS, he said there was no groundswell of support, nearly everyone, including the local union reps, agreed that it was an illegal strike.

5. Richards Dad

Richards Dad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I spent 8 years at UPS with the last 6 as a part time supervisor. The shit I witnessed would make your stomachs turn. At least in my area (Tennessee), the overwhelming majority of union workers were uneducated, lazy pieces of shit. Both part timers and drivers would pull no-call no-shows, refuse to do tasks that were included in their job descriptions and would spend more time avoiding work than actually doing the damn job. Any other employer would've fired their asses early in their careers for pulling these stunts. Unfortunately, our district management were a bunch of pussies and would rarely confront and address their actions

6. RumBalls

RumBalls The original RumBalls, est. Jan 16, 2012

Reputations:
    Unions suck...lazy fucks

7. Dilkington

Dilkington Active Member

Reputations:
  8. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    This sounds a lot more like reality than what all the pro union guys were going on about in the ups thread last week.

According to them, all union guys are really hard workers and deserve to be paid well above their skill set. I don't think they could even admit that they have it disproportionately good.

9. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    People are such pussies. You walked off a job then got fired. Seems fitting. Fuck everyone involved in the strike and those who caved in.

It continues to show the pussification of America and it will only increase exponentially. Cater to every lazy piece of shit.

10. Richards Dad

Richards Dad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, just for clarification, I did work with some hard workers that were in the union. They were appreciative of the good wages and benefits they were working for, especially considering that they were earning almost double of what our local teachers, social workers, etc were earning with a college degree. Unfortunately, the lazy majority overshadowed those workers with their entitlement behaviors. I'm ashamed to say, but the worst of the these people are from my generation (I'm 35). Most of the older workers knew how well they had it and the younger workers wouldn't know how to work and keep a job based on their own efforts.

11. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm pro union. I don't think they work harder. I do admit they have it disproportionally good.

12. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    For sure. I wouldn't paint everyone with the same brush, but some pro-union guys won't even acknowledge the problems with unions. In my early 20's I was in a union for a year. 80% of the guys were decent workers (at least), but there were about 20% that were just horrible to the point that they simply would not have jobs outside of a union.
    Not surprisingly, it's the 80% (the good workers) who seem to know they have it good.

13. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Then you get it. Seems like the guys who talk the most on the pro-union side don't.

14. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    Didn't used to be that way. The non-union side has seen their standards fall over the past 20 years. That's why we need unions.

15. spark888

spark888 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Unions are awful. Not necessary in today's America. Unions fuck themselves in the end. Gm and Ford are a prime example. Greed from management and the unions back in the day screwed the future of those companies.....they didn't give a shit about long term future.

16. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    Go back and read "A Christmas Carol" to experience a world without unions. The words "robber baron" actually mean something. Slavery still exists in the companies who moved off shore.

[​IMG] Foxconn suicide nets.

17. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    should've let them bums go and hired new, hungry, focused workers....I also know a few union guys and they don't give two shits about their job or anything, they ignore warnings not to drink on the job etc...

18. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just think people should try to get paid as much as possible, I also think companies should try to pay as little as possible. Being against either is like being against capitalism. 99.99% of the time that system works out fine.

19. Gusbuss

Gusbuss VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    John Hopkins hospital is on strike for the next 3 days.

20. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That's fine. There's a minimum wage...there should be a maximum wage for unskilled labour too.