News NY: Parents and other parishioners beat son to death and send the other to the hospital, in church!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Oct 13, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    View attachment 48972

Two brothers were severely beaten — one of whom died — inside Word of Life Christian Church Monday afternoon, but the events that led up to 19-year-old Lucas Leonard’s death and the assault of his younger brother Christopher, 17, still are unclear.Both victims suffered injuries to their stomachs, genitals, backs and thighs, police said.

Police offered no motive for why the boys’ parents, Bruce and Deborah Leonard of Clayville, would be involved in reportedly inflicting such injuries on their own children, however. The couple pleaded not guilty when they were arraigned on felony first-degree manslaughter charges Tuesday afternoon in New Hartford Town Court.

Four other church members were charged with felony second-degree assault for allegedly injuring Christopher Leonard. They are Joseph Irwin, 26, of Chadwicks; David Morey, 26, and Linda Morey, 54, both of Utica; and Sarah Ferguson, 33 of Clayville. All pleaded not guilty.

The incident also resulted in several children found at the church being taken into custody by Oneida County Child Protective Services.Oneida County Assistant District Attorney Mike Nolan said Deborah and Bruce Leonard have been charged with “very serious felonies of multiple victims.”“The probability of conviction is somewhat very high,” he said at the arraignment.Bail for the Leonards was set at $100,000 each; bail for the other four defendants was set at $50,000.

What happened?

According to New Hartford police, at about 12:30 p.m. Monday, officers were sent to the St. Luke’s campus of the Mohawk Valley Health System after a reported gunshot victim arrived at the hospital in a private vehicle.

The victim, Lucas Leonard, later died as a result of his injuries.

View attachment 48973

Police said Leonard appeared to have suffered extensive injuries from blunt force trauma rather than a gunshot wound, but official autopsy results had not been released as of late Tuesday.

After he was brought to the hospital, police responded to the Leonards’ home in Clayville for a reported “firearm accident.” They later determined the Word of Life Christian Church at 3354 Oneida St. in Chadwicks, was the true crime scene, however.

After securing a search warrant, members of the New York State Police SORT, the METRO SWAT Team (Utica/New Hartford) and the Rome Police Department SWAT Team made a tactical entry into the church building, where they found the second victim, Christopher Leonard, who also was injured. He remained in serious condition at a local hospital Tuesday night.

Several church members were interviewed over the course of the investigation, and some children who were at the church were turned over to Oneida County Child Protective Services.

The county Department of Social Services did not immediately respond to a request for comment, and the Oneida County Child Advocacy Center referred all questions to New Hartford police.

Unanswered questions

Countless questions remain, some which police have said will be answered at a news conference today.

“Everything’s still under investigation and the police as we’re speaking right now are still conducting various interviews …,” Oneida County District Attorney Scott McNamara said late Tuesday afternoon. “We’re in the very early stages of the investigation and there’s a lot of work that still needs to be done.”

Among the questions still unanswered:

* What motivated the group to allegedly beat the two victims?

* How many people belong to the Word of Life church?

* Why was Lucas taken to the hospital, but not Christopher?

* Who were the children removed from the church? Why were they removed?

The accused

Bruce and Deborah Leonard live at 2357 Main St. in Clayville, as did another defendant, Sarah Ferguson. It’s unclear how many children the couple has, but Sauquoit Valley Central School District Superintendent Ronald Wheelock said Lucas and Christopher were home-schooled and did not participate in activities in the district.

Bruce Leonard, 65, was a teaching assistant in the Utica City School District, according to his attorney. He was born in Cooperstown, but has lived in the area for at least 20 years.

Deborah Leonard, 59, has health issues requiring medication, according to her attorney. He husband has a separate attorney. She’s lived in the area for at least 30 years, and has been married to Bruce for more than 20 years, her attorney said.

Neither have any criminal history.

David Morey is a Utica native who lives at home with his parents and his sister. He’s unmarried, has no children, and owns no property, according to his attorney.

Irwin, Linda Morey and Ferguson also have no criminal histories, according to their attorneys.

Police have said other arrests and additional charges are likely as the investigation continues.

http://www.uticaod.com/article/20151013/NEWS/151019792

2. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    I guess this is the other religion of peace.....and they were doing so well in recent times.

3. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Church of LIFE

TheSurvivingJesusTwin likes this.
  4. x76

x76 Just a crazy old hermit Gold

Reputations:
    WTF? Are people cannibalistic hicks outside of the major cities?

AuntDolly likes this.
  5. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    I'd rather be beaten to death than go to church.

6. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    upstate ny is hillbilly country

7. dawg

Reputations:
    Seriously? I had no idea.

8. suckemnuckledus

suckemnuckledus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jesus Saves!! Well maybe not! Damn shame!!:backpedal:

9. dawg

Reputations:
    How do you do that to your own sons? they tortured them.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  10. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I want to start my own church

Beth Onostrosky likes this.
  11. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Fckn Blanco's

12. usedtampon

usedtampon Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Those infidels had the nerve to say that Jesus was Jewish!

13. Father O'Blivion

Father O'Blivion Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Some parts are, most are not.

14. dawg

Reputations:
    When i think of New York i only think of city, its easy forget the rest of the state for an outsider.

15. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    some areas have not changed significantly since 1920. When I was a kid in the 1960s there were still towns with wood slat sidewalks like in the cowboy western movies. My aunt married a guy in Edwards, NY who had the most profitable business in town: a bar with a roller rink above.

EDIT: sorry my mistake: the guy did not own a bar with a roller rink above. he owned the only bar in town and it had a roller rink and bordello above.

and the roller rink brought in more money than the whores.

Artie Laugh and dawg like this.
  16. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    its very big. people don't realize how poorly NYC fits into NYS.

17. Craignor

Craignor Bodymore, Murderland VIP

Reputations:
    My guess...incest or drugs or both.

18. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez

Reputations:
  19. Father O'Blivion

Father O'Blivion Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's a fairly large state. There are some areas that look right out of Deliverance.

dawg likes this.
  20. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    and the urban areas that look like someone moved Camden up north over night (like Syracuse)