News NYC cab drivers, don't speak english?...No problem

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No English? No problem! New York City cab drivers won't have to learn the language to qualify for a license

The average New York City taxi driver may still be sassy, but will not be required to speak English any longer.
    The change is the result of a new law that Mayor Bill DeBlasio signed in April and went into effect on Friday eliminating the English proficiency exam for taxi and for-hire vehicle drivers.
    It is the latest big change for cab drivers as policymakers and regulators try to adapt the city's requirements to demographic and technological changes.
    The legislation created a single license for all taxicab and for-hire vehicles and eliminated the English language proficiency test, according to a New York City Council website.
    [​IMG]
    +3
    New York is home to nearly 144,000 active drivers of taxis and limousines, with over 90 percent of them born outside of the United States, according to official figures
    The Council described the requirement as 'a significant barrier to entry to driving a taxi' in a statement announcing the bill and other related legislation in January.
    New York is home to nearly 144,000 active drivers of medallion cabs, livery cars and other for-hire vehicles, according to a 2016 report from the Taxi and Limousine Commission. Over 90 percent of those drivers are born outside the United States.

The Taxi and Limousine Commission is working with the Mayor's office on a potential education program that would include English language vocabulary for drivers, a spokeswoman for Commission said.
    The new law was part of a broader legislative package that also included a bill to require the Taxi and Limousine Commission to directly administer a health care services program.
    [​IMG]
    +3
    City officials are reportedly working on a new instructional program that would teach drivers spoken English and basic vocabulary needed for everyday encounters with the public
    The New York Times reports that city officials sought parity with app-based ride services such as Uber, which don't require an English test.
    The city's taxi drivers have been overwhelmingly foreign-born for decades.
    According to the Taxi and Limousine Commission, just 4 percent of current drivers were born in the United States.
    [​IMG]
    +3
    Twitter users reacted negatively to the new law going into effect on Friday
    The reaction on social media to the law appears to be largely negative.
    'Just plain wrong,' says Twitter user Jan Johnson.
    W. Clayton tweeted that this was 'another reason to avoid' New York City.
    'What's next? Restriction-free driver's licenses for blind folks?' tweeted another dissenter.
    'If you're in New York, you must speak English,' David Hernandez, a 26-year-old cook from Queens told The New York Times. 'This is an English-speaking country.'
    The law's initial sponsor, however, says that the move is necessary given that ridesharing services like Uber do not require drivers to be proficient in English.
    '[Uber and Lyft] don't have any language requirement, and no one has complained that they can't communicate with them,' Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez, a Democrat who represents northern Manhattan, told the Times.

2. Wigward

Wigward Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How exactly has it been 'a significant barrier' when 90 percent of drivers were born outside the United States? Is it because it isn't 100% :bigthink

Diogenes likes this.
  3. RaeRae

RaeRae VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Thanks Di Blasio, worst mayor EVER!

4. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Next they're going to allow blind umpires in the major leagues. Sometimes I think they are already here.

5. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    Someone will die of a heart attack one day in the back of a cab and this will be looked back at as why the city got sued for millions.

R.P. McMurphy and reno like this.
  6. Anyonenow

Anyonenow Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Uber does not require English :coffee:
    Was in one the other day:whistle:

Snotty likes this.
  7. TeeDonkey

TeeDonkey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I can't imagine having to hail a Cab to go anywhere, or rely on public transportation. :fil:

R.P. McMurphy likes this.
  8. walterHwhite

walterHwhite Heisenberg

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Wigward likes this.
  9. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    These assholes will soon find out the meaning of........"The Way of the Buggywhip"....................

10. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I'm thankful that I don't live there anymore even more so from what my friends are telling me about that douche bag mayor.

11. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...theyre trying to take america away from us folks. you better get smart and quickly, very quickly.

[​IMG]

Wigward likes this.
  12. McLennison

McLennison VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Comrade Bill has yet to equal the ineptness of his mentor.

[​IMG]

13. flaflaflunky

flaflaflunky Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    David "Don't diss your sis" Dinkins. His office came up with this gem when the savages were groping/sexually assaulting and drowning females at public city pools in the early 90's. Arguably the most useless public servant New York City has ever known...until de Blasio.

RaeRae likes this.