Entertainment NYDN Asslickery for Monday

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Caffeinated, May 11, 2015.

1. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Garvey: Preserve Howard Stern’s historic chair
    MARIANNE GARVEY NEW YORK DAILY NEWS05/10/2015 8:40 PM ET

[​IMG]
    GETTY IMAGES
    Radio legend Howard Stern's famous chair is on its last legs.
    After 23-plus years supporting the King of All Media, Howard Stern’s studio chair is on the verge of collapsing. Last week, his staff warned him, it finally looked ready to crumble under the fluctuating weight of Fartman’s tuchus.

In 2005, the chair, a high-back black leather number, held together in some places with tape, had even traveled with him the eight blocks from 92.3 K-Rock to his glorious new SiriusXM studio, where he currently reigns supreme. But as Stern’s second contract renewal at Sirius fast approaches, it was the chair that gave out first.

So now it’s time to give it what it deserves — a respectable spot in the Smithsonian.

Sure, he’s joked about it on air in recent weeks, saying he’s leaning toward giving it to his family, after he briefly played with the thought of giving it to a fan, who he decided in the end would unjustly sell it.

But Stern’s throne deserves a spot in the venerable museum’s National Museum of American History in Washington, where past exhibitions have included the ruby slippers from “The Wizard of Oz,” Apolo Ohno’s speed skates from the 2002 Winter Olympics and Archie Bunker’s chair from “All in the Family.”

The greatest living broadcaster has done more for American culture than all of the above combined. Who else has lasted nearly 40 years in the radio business, turning honest thoughts into gold, battling the FCC, and conducting some of the best celebrity interviews ever? Howard Allan Stern, that’s who.

As a longtime fan, his evolution has been both a surprise and a joy to experience.

Stern has farted in that chair, but he’s also fought for free speech in that chair. He’s gotten countless stars to tell him their most private tales, connecting us all while we eavesdrop in from our own boring lives. A horny toad turned feminist, a gay rights champion, he’s a voice for equal opportunity who gives praise to public servants. Everyone from truck drivers to comedians want to hear what he says next. Even after all this time.

That chair has seen the end of one marriage and the beginning of a new one, to his wife, Beth Stern. They have a lovely sex life, by the way, he often shares the details of it with us. The chair has felt his rage, shook from his laughter, and has rattled from countless lap dances during his wild years. He sat in it while he talked a frightened New York City through 9/11.

On Jan. 1, 2008, he dedicated the entire start of the show to the chair, after one producer had invited his daughter to sit in it during a studio tour. He was screamed at in front of millions as Stern bellowed that “no one is to touch my chair.” Stern’s loyal staff ordered him a new chair; he did some trial runs last week. He seemed to like one in particular, even though it was pulling at his shirt, he said.

When I contacted the Smithsonian, they’d caught wind of the chair being retired, and told me, “We are not able to speculate on possible acquisitions to the permanent collection of the museum,” but are “happy to speak with potential donors.”

So let’s get the chair where it belongs. Label it “King of All Media’s Throne.” That way, generations of fans can come gawk at it. Just don’t touch it. You how he gets about that sort of thing.

mgarvey@nydailynews.com

Beffquus, reno, teehee and 1 other person like this.
  2. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Fought for free speech.
    :jj:

3. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    So 23 years is a long time to own and use a chair.
    I would be more impressed if it had been used 5 days a week.

Mulletude, yaddc, blindbella and 5 others like this.
  4. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I saw that article too and it made me gag.

Caffeinated and teehee like this.
  5. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Break it over his follicle challenged cranium

Caffeinated and teehee like this.
  6. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    I wonder how much he pays this woman to print his crap..Smithsonian:giggle:…It can go right next to the Fonzs leather jacket…..

A "horny toad" turned feminist…A gay rights advocate..I wonder how long the girls worked on this before Howie was OK with it..

This AM, Howard will do one of his very bad acting jobs pretending he had no clue this was gonna be in the paper..

7. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm sure whoever answered the phone at the smithsonian said, who? What? A chair from who? No, we don't want that"

8. Beffquus

Beffquus Scripta sunt in stellis Gold

Reputations:
    Amen. Here's the chair I used for about 20 years at my job and on my last day, my final act was to wheel this sucker out and throw it onto the dumpster.

Wigglue should try it. Remarkably cleansing experience...

IMG_0045.jpeg

Mulletude and Caffeinated like this.
  9. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why the chair looks like new. I guess 38 days a year use has something to do with it. I say fuck the chair

10. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    the only thing he's fought for, is his financial empire. Fuck that hypocrite and Fuck the NYDN for printing an article not fit for a fucking birdcage.

Caffeinated likes this.