NYTimes article on Knicks Courtside Seats

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SteveZoo, Jan 22, 2014.

1. SteveZoo

SteveZoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/22/sports/basketball/knicks-have-a-star-magnet-courtside-seats.html

Knicks Have a Star Magnet: Courtside Seats

They call it Celebrity Row. No mention of celebrities Howard and Beth Stern.

Celebrities mentioned or pictured are David Duchovny, Paul Simon and Kate Upton. Spike Lee. Jason Sudeikis, Ben Stiller, Christine Taylor and Whoopi Goldberg. Katie Holmes and Liam Neeson. Mike D. from the Beastie Boys and Chuck D. from Public Enemy. John McEnroe and the boxer Miguel Cotto. Redfoo, of the duo LMFAO sitting beside Victoria Azarenka, with Phil Collins. The late James Gandolfini and his “Sopranos†co-star Edie Falco. Derek Jeter with his father, Charles. Prince Amukamara of the New York Giants and Damaris Lewis of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition. Michael J. Fox. Drew Barrymore, her husband, Will Kopelman, and John Turturro. Michael Zegen, from “Rescue Me". Tom Hanks. Chris Rock.

But Madison Square Garden has a quid pro quo, and agreeing to be filmed at your seat for broadcast on the GardenVision screen during games is only the beginning. Some of the celebrities work for the Knicks’ Garden of Dreams foundation, a charity that helps disadvantaged and ill young people. Woody Allen was asked to stop coming after, the Garden said, he refused on three occasions to do small favors for them.

2. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's interesting how courtside seats are treated in other cities. In Philadelphia where the team has been mediocre since their trip to the finals with Allen Iverson the seats are loaded with small children. Blocks of courtside seats are owned by corporations or law firms and each night some guy shows up with 3 or 4 kids in tow. You look at New York, LA or Miami and the seats are all taken by adults. It's a frigging day care center in Philadelphia at the Wells Fargo arena. Naturally CSN has to make sure they show each kid eating ice cream or candy. Other than an occasional local team athlete or a rapper no celebs go to 76ers games. This is all going to change in the next couple years as the Sixers own two top picks in the 2014 draft which is loaded with once a decade players. They have their own pick and the New Orleans Pelicans provided it is lower than the fifth pick. Sixers are on track to be one of the worst three teams in the league this season. If they hit on the right couple of players they should be an elite team in about 2-3 years. I would think the bandwagon will fill up if they can get someone like Kevin Durant. Suddenly all these
    A-Listers will start showing up at Sixers games. I'm still amazed at who shows up for the Knicks when they are such a bad team.

3. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    "We've honestly had A-listers sit in the second or third row and not complain." Profiles in courage.

4. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Knicks games have plenty of young kids around the court. Back in the 90's (when I watch Knicks Classics on TV) the crowd was so loud and always up on their feet. Today at Knicks and Ranger games you have so many corporation seats taking up the 50% of the lower arena and most of all those fans are not really fans and just get into the game is something exciting is happening. It's pathetic today. MSG has been taken over by rich, "I get tickets through my business" people who just bring their kids.
    Now, seats are expensive so that's who MSG can sell them too and you have every right to bring whoever you want, but a lot of people have said it's not the same anymore fan wise, even at MSG. Look at Yankee games. Years ago filled up behind the plate and down the line with fans go crazy. NOW, empty seats with some rich people scattered around down low who are always texting on their phone and never get into the game. It's a joke.

The real fans have been moved out for rich people and corps who really could care less about the teams and game and just want to brag about the tickets they have or say they went to a game.

5. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    That is all sports teams w/ new or renovated stadiums.

6. the Artie Chair

the Artie Chair New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I split season a season tickets package (2 seats every game) exactly half court on the floor (but 3rd row of seats - so it's not exactly the seats being referred to in the NY Times article where your feet are practically on the court). I can't give them away most nights. I will be there this Saturday night to watch Durant put up 50 though.

7. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Robin if the Knicks get good i will have trouble getting courtside seats

8. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Of course there is no mention of Howard or Beth, Marianne Garvey doesn't work for the NY Times.

9. Winston Ono

Winston Ono Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When I was a youngster, I sneaked down to the courtside seats and a very sweaty Phil Jackson landed on me chasing a ball out of bounds.

And yes, I was wearing arm warmers. I called it a long sleeve shirt

10. jackspector

jackspector Member

Reputations:
    x

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  11. jackspector

jackspector Member

Reputations:
    As a former-- I thought-- lifetime Knicks fanatic, including the OJ game versus the Rockets-- I can co-sign this 1000%. I hung in there until 2000 or so but between the jesus freaks like Charlie Ward and Allan Houston thanking the creator who makes all things possible (except completing the three, playing hard defense etc) and the rise of Dolan & the worthless Isaiah Thomas ... What's bizarre is, if even you have the fucking $$$, why on earth would anyone who actually loved the game or the franchise support thesescumbags? It's a shame too because NYC used to be a great basketball town, grew up going to Knicks Xmas day games, loved listening to Marv & Clyde etc...