O&A talking about Howard's birthday show right now!!!

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MarvelComics85, Nov 5, 2013.

1. MarvelComics85

MarvelComics85 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yep. Just started a few minutes ago. They're talking about how SIRIUS/XM could fund this after Howard sued them twice. They even brought up their past situations with Howard.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Funny stuff.

3. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Excellent. :evil:

4. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I can't wait to download

5. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It really doesn't make sense. Howard's popularity is dipping. He has an adversarial relationship with management. Yet, they pour money into a night time show that will get zero ratings.

6. lucasdb

lucasdb New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Obviously that is not the case
    Ever since HS had a face to face with the new guy, Sirius has gone out of their way to praise him & they even did cosmetic changes in the studio (O&A said SXM paid for it)

As much as we all think we know everything, we don't.

7. popspot13

popspot13 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Prior management. The Malone team runs the entire ship now. No matter the bitching around here, it's become very clear that they want to keep him and with Liberty Media, if they are spending money on him and publicly acknowledge wanting to keep him until he retires, he's making them money, period. I was at an industry conference where Malone spoke many years ago and this guy knows a few things: How to win, how to make money, and how to take advantage of the tax system. Stern is making them money, period. That's what all of this tells you. For all the bitching about the decline (no argument here) of the show and his work ethic, it's a joke to not realize that he's bringing in serious profit to the company to this day.

8. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Oh, I think the opposite. This is clearly a Hail Mary attempt to make the Stern Show relevant and stop the hemorrhaging. He is a money loser and they are trying to minimize the losses.

They are trying to make a something that used to be an annual event when he was on terrestrial radio as a huge event. Howard's listeners have been leaving in droves because of his non-existent summer work schedule and weak content. This is a pure marketing tool to try to stop the avalanche.

And they are only probably doing this because they can't afford to pay Howard to leave the company and they are trying to salvage what they have. Howard has never been profitable even when he was popular.

And Sirius has never seem a profit since day one. Howard's contract of $100 million a year in the first five years would have required about 10-15 million subscriptions each year just for him minus ad revenue (and how much is Ashley Madison and Fresh Balls actually paid for ads over the year). Pre-merger there wasn't even 10 million subscribers including the ones who didn't listen to Howard. Howard was a loss leader for the company (lose money on him to generate interest in the product in general) and with his dwindling popularity, he is just a loser. They are trying to reverse that.

9. Kilroy

Kilroy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Seriously, I just want to point out again, any hardcore Stern fans (and I was one of the biggest for a LONG time), FORGET everything you've ever thought about O&A and their show. Forget everything that was drilled in your head for 10+ years that "O&A ARE THE ENEMY" by Howard and his fans (and I was one of those that HATED O&A)...give their show a chance now. If you've given it a chance before and didn't like it, give it ANOTHER chance. And give it more than a day or so.

I swear to you, right now they are easily the best show on radio. I'll give you that they used to suck, I've heard old shows back when they did tons of bits, when they were trying to be Howard, etc, and yes, they BLEW. It wasn't good. What they do now is a lot of fun. They get interesting guests, they get GOOD comics in there to sit in and talk, it's good stuff. And I never thought I personally would ever say that. I was one of the administrators/mods/whatever you want to call it on the Howard Stern Yahoo Club/Group back in the late 90's up until probably 2003 or so and I battled with every damned O&A "Pest" alive, I DESPISED everything about O&A back then. Not anymore.

10. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    Sounds like someone got a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

11. Big Lar

Big Lar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've tried them and they still suck....sorry

12. One Fat Vegan

One Fat Vegan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can you download their shows on the sirius xm app? I cant seem to find them.

13. jgard

jgard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great post man, very forthcoming; I agree since I started to listen to them as well out of necessity since I rarely listen to podcasts and they haven't disappointed. It sucks that they are easily the second best (well ratings and ad revenue I mean) and they get stuck w/ such a small studio when they are there 5 days a week and deserve a film crew as well. Case in point: see the Jesse Ventura vs Jim Norton vid clips

14. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:

:up: + reps.

15. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    kinda like to ROI NBC/AGT got from that 15mil/yr deal they gave to Wiggy :jj: how did that chart look since Piers left? kinda like this this?

[​IMG]

16. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    sure ok PM me a link to listen for free

17. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    ...and like my thread says, they are promoting the shit out of him right now

18. Joe Bauers

Reputations:
    You just know, they're going to get a talking to. :p

19. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Ok, I think I found the spot where they start talking about it on the online player. Ya know, since I'm one of the few here that actually PAYS for the service.

20. Joe Bauers

Reputations:

:whistle: