Politics Obama condemns discrimination against Muslim Americans

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by thegroovologist, Jul 23, 2016.

1. thegroovologist

thegroovologist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Obama condemns discrimination against Muslim Americans as he celebrates Eid for the first time at the White House
    • Obama broke from tradition of hosting the annual Iftar dinner that occurs during Ramadan
    • Instead 100 Muslim Americans came to the East Room to celebrate holiday
    • The president paid tribute to Muhammad Ali - his wife and six of their children were also in attendance
    • A 15-year-old from Oregon introduced the president and told the crowd how she had been called the N-word and a terrorist
    By Anneta Konstantinides For Dailymail.com

Published: 05:59 GMT, 22 July 2016 | Updated: 12:27 GMT, 22 July 2016

President Obama spoke in strong support of Muslim Americans, who he said 'enrich our lives every single day', during the first ever Eid celebration at the White House on Thursday.

Obama broke from the tradition of hosting the annual Iftar dinner, an evening meal during Ramadan where Muslims break their daily fast, to celebrate the conclusion of the Islamic holy month instead.

More than 100 Muslim Americans attended the event celebrating the holiday, including Muhammad Ali's wife Lonnie and six of their children.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obama began his remarks by paying tribute to the Greatest, who passed during Ramadan.

'As proud of his blackness as he was of his faith, the Champ taught us that the most important thing in life is to be ourselves,' the president told the crowd.

And, Obama said, he wanted the day to be a reminder that Muslims 'have always been a part of America'.

'For more than two centuries, Muslim Americans of all backgrounds - Arab and Asian, African and Latino, black and white - have helped build America,' he said.

'As farmers and merchants, factory workers, architects, teachers and community leaders. Muslim Americans have enriched our lives every single days.'

The president celebrated the doctors 'we trust with our lives', the entrepreneurs who 'create jobs' and the artists who 'inspire us'.

And, like Ali, he celebrated the athletes, including American fencing champion Ibtijah Muhammad, who he said will be 'proudly wearing her hijab' when she represents Team USA at the Rio Olympics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obama also gave special tribute to Deputy Police Chief Malik Aziz of the Dallas Police Department and World War II veteran Sheikh Nazeem Abdul Karriem.

'Let's be clear,' the president said. 'Muslim Americans are as patriotic, as integrated, as American as any other members of the American family.'

'And whether your family has been here for generations or you’re a new arrival, you’re an essential part of the fabric of our country.'

Just as Obama's speech was about to take a serious turn and discuss the 'difficult time' Muslim Americans currently face, the crowd broke into an impromptu chant.

'Four more years!' the audience yelled, 'Four more years!'

Obama laughed as he quickly shut them down.

'Michelle is going to come down and scold you,' he joked. 'Don't say that.'

The president then touched upon the fact that Muslim Americans not only have to fear the 'threat of terrorism', like their compatriots, but also the fact that it is their community that is blamed for it.

Obama cited the 'heartbreaking letter' he received from 15-year-old Aisha Osman, an Oregon native who was selected to introduce the president after writing a letter about her experiences.

'She told me, "There were moments in my life where I would want to just take off my hijab and leave my identity behind so I can fit in with my peers,'" the president told the crowd.

'That's a young American, full of promise, full of possibility, fearful because of her faith,' the president said in his remarks.

Osman told the crowd that as both an African American and a Muslim, she has been called both a terrorist and the N-word.

'What those people don't know is that I am proud to be an American,' she said. 'I know I am the future of this country that I love.'

Obama told the young people in the audience that he wanted them to know one thing: 'That we see you, that we believe in you'.

'And, despite what you may sometimes hear, you've got to know that you're a valued part of the American family,' he continued.

'And there's nothing that you cannot do.'

The president never once mentioned Trump by name, but evoked the Republican presidential nominee when he said it was wrong to single out Muslim Americans.

Trump called for a complete ban of Muslims entering the country following the San Bernardino massacre in December by two ISIS supporters.

'Singling out Muslim Americans feeds the lie of terrorists like ISIL that the West is somehow at war with a religion that includes over a billion adherents,' Obama said.

'That's not smart national security.'

The president instead called for all Americans to reject hatred.

'Muslim Americans - and all Americans - have to reject discrimination,' he continued.

'Muslim Americans - and all Americans have to answer those who peddle hate, or suggest somehow that their interpretations of their faith justify violence.'

'And in the face of terrorism, we will prevail.'

'But we will prevail by working together, not driving each other apart.'
    "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...slim-Americans-White-House.html#ixzz4FD0n5Puw

2. Phil McKrakin

Phil McKrakin AKA Howie POTY The Bar VIP

Reputations:
    Is this a :quote:thing:quote:

3. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    I self identify as a seagull and i'm shitting all over this thread.

4. Phil McKrakin

Reputations:
    Look at that cute little Vietnamese baby...Oh shit! Towel head at 12 O'Clock!! Swarm Swarm Swarm!!!!

[​IMG]

hugh jasol and crazypreacher like this.
  5. Phil McKrakin

Reputations:
    Why is Obammy's head so small in that pic? Dude looks like he has the Zika. :scratch:

Lostronaut likes this.
  6. thegroovologist

thegroovologist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Maximum propaganda...the Muslim victim card:

"Obama cited the 'heartbreaking letter' he received from 15-year-old Aisha Osman, an Oregon native who was selected to introduce the president after writing a letter about her experiences.

'She told me, "There were moments in my life where I would want to just take off my hijab and leave my identity behind so I can fit in with my peers,'" the president told the crowd."

"The president instead called for all Americans to reject hatred."

7. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Vomit inducing.

8. mape

mape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's a dick. Fuck off Obama!!

9. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Thank goodness he's healing our country.

The greatest community organizer ever to be President

10. the G-man

the G-man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's going to eventually come out as one after leaving the White House.

11. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    Gonna take truckloads of CLOROX to clean that sacred building after he leaves. :coffee:

12. flaflaflunky

flaflaflunky Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I can only imagine the stench in that room.

13. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    I'm surprised that flower wasn't booby trapped

Craignor likes this.
  14. Boomer

Boomer Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Reputations:
    ...or was it

MrWarmth likes this.
  15. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Not a fan of the kenyan, but that place was never clean.

16. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Can I get an Allah Akbar. Death to the infidels!

17. FrstTimeLngTme

FrstTimeLngTme Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Since he feels so safe with muslim women and children, did he tell the secret service to not bother checking them for any weapons or explosives?

18. Shart Garfunkel

Shart Garfunkel I brought the magic suitcase Gold

Reputations:
    Just curious as to how they "enrich our lives every single day?"

perdix, John Mahlin, ApeFace and 7 others like this.
  19. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Filling up the 24 hour news cycle is great for politicians under fire. That's what he means.

20. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    Worst President in history, hands down.

Santori, perdix, HowieHasBeen and 9 others like this.