***OFFICIAL *** Cowboys vs. Giants New Years Day football thread

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Satori Brah, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Satori Brah

Satori Brah Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is like playoffs football brahs on New Years Day :beer:

[​IMG]

I am taking the Cowboys +3 :skifu:

2. Satori Brah

Reputations:
    Take a look at the tale of the tape for Sunday night’s NFC East showdown between the Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants:

Offense

Dallas, despite injuries to skill players all season, can put points on the board. Tony Romo is flirting with a 4,000-yard season under center and has the Cowboys ranked eighth in the NFL in passing yards. They have one of the best receiving corps in the NFL, most notably Dez Bryant, who has been a Giant killer during his two-year career. He has four career touchdowns in three games versus New York.

Dallas’ running game is dangerously thin, with Felix Jones nursing a tender hamstring and rookie RB DeMarco Murray out for the year after breaking his ankle against the Giants in Week 14. Behind Jones is veteran rusher Sammy Morris.

Eli Manning has led an erratic Giants offense, but is still one of the best quarterbacks in crunch time. He led New York to a come-from-behind win in Dallas in Week 14, passing for 400 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in that game. The Giants have the fourth-ranked air attack in the NFL and should have Mario Manningham and Hakeem Nicks healthy on the wings.

The Giants rolled over the Cowboys in their last meeting, with running back Brandon Jacobs rushing for 101 yards and two touchdowns. Fellow running back Ahmad Bradshaw was benched for most of that game after breaking team rules. On the year, New York ranks dead last in the NFL in rushing, putting up just over 88 yards per game.

Edge: Cowboys

Defense

It was New York’s defense that won the Week 14 matchup with the Cowboys and kept the team’s playoff hopes alive. Jason Pierre-Paul was outstanding in that game, recording two sacks, a safety, a forced fumble and won the game with a blocked field goal that would have forced overtime.

The Giants, on the year, are not as impressive on defense. They rank 28th in average yards allowed (381.5) and points against per game (25.7). However, New York looked solid against the Jets last Sunday, holding their N.Y. rivals to only 14 points.

Dallas’ defense has been stout against the run for most of the season, allowing just 98.6 yards on the ground per game. Against the pass is another story. The Cowboys secondary has been prone to the big play on third and fourth downs and ranks 23rd in the league in defending the pass.

Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is a master of disguising the blitz, but can sometimes get carried away. Dallas is seventh in the NFL with 40 sacks – 18 of those coming from linebacker DeMarcus Ware. Ware was limited to just two tackles against the Giants in Week 14 and took two crucial penalties in the final minutes that helped New York come back and win the game.

Edge:
    Giants

Special teams

Dallas’ special teams have been a mess in the home stretch of the season. Kicker Dan Bailey was iced by his own coach in a loss to Arizona and then got the freeze from Giants head coach Tom Coughlin in Week 14, eventually leading to a blocked field goal.

The punt and kick return game hasn’t been much to write home about either. Dallas averages 23.7 yards per kickoff return and only 7.3 yards per punt return – 27th in the NFL.

New York kicker Lawrence Tynes has connected on only 81.8 percent of his field goal attempts and doesn’t have the leg like Dallas’ Bailey.

The Giants return team averages 23.3 yards per kickoff and just 6.8 yards per punt return. Both New York and Dallas allow 10.3 yards per punt return.

Edge:
    Draw

Word on the street

“They’re going down there to watch me become a champion again. That’s what they’re there for, all of them. Hell, it’s a costly endeavor, but I want them to be there when we win the East, and I’ll probably steal a couple T-shirts and make sure they get them. Because that’s what we’re there for. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll be pissed off because everything we got is in this one.” – Dallas DC Rob Ryan talking about flying his family to the game in New York.

“I don’t know ... he’s 65 years old, maybe he wants to do something different. If Coach Coughlin wants to be back, I think he has that choice to be back. You never know what’s going on as far as what his thought process is, but I don’t see a reason to fire him, I guess. But I don’t get paid to make those decisions.” – New York DE Justin Tuck on the future of coach Tom Coughlin.

3. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Fesh Fox Faggot VIP

Reputations:
    In

Go Cowboys :cheer:

4. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Hors d'oeuvre Addict VIP

Reputations:
    Romo gets knocked out by the 2nd quarter.

Jerry Jones has a meltdown at the half and decides to take to the sideline and coach the team himself.

Go Big Blue!

5. Satori Brah

Reputations:
    Eli throws 3 interceptions off his back foot by the 3rd quarter.

Tom Coughlin's face gets frostbitten again and John Sterling coaches the rest of the game.

How bout dem Cowboys! :cheer:

6. beatlejaws

beatlejaws nowhere poster

Reputations:
    In. Go Giants.

7. SIPAWITZ

SIPAWITZ Bialy Whore Banned User

Reputations:
    dis gonna be some bru-hah-hah

8. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    Look at the bright side. If Romo gets knocked out and McGee does well, the Cowboys might finally have a QB that can take them to the playoffs. :p

Of course, they could always sign Donovan McNabb next season.

9. Satori Brah

Reputations:
    You are now my mortal enemy :mad:

(even though I repped you a few minutes ago :p )

10. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    :hat: Returning the rep now.

Strike the McNabb comment. It looks like the Jets are going to have to grab him first. Sanchez is finished in NY.

11. SIPAWITZ

Reputations:
    im not even betting the side

maybe ill play over the 48

12. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    The over should be a strong play. I can't see either of their defenses having a huge impact on the game.

13. SIPAWITZ

Reputations:
    i think he gets one more year for the 2 previous AFC title games he got to

14. freds

freds you broke it VIP

Reputations:
    Brian Urlacher's career just ended.

15. freds

freds you broke it VIP

Reputations:
    wait. he's walking.

never mind.

16. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
    that looked like it hurt.

17. PullMyFinger

Reputations:
    In most other cities probably, but the media is going to rip him apart for this season and especially this game.

It's going to be hard for the Jets to put up with the pressure.

I see them signing a veteran QB to "back him up" and then pulling the trigger on him by week 5 if he screws up at all.

18. Satori Brah

Reputations:
    :gayhand:

19. SIPAWITZ

Reputations:
    yea that seems totally plausible

20. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
    <------Huge Dallas fan. They look great on paper but can't win when they need to. 45-10 New York.