News Ohio can try again to kill dirtbag rapest who survived botched execution

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Mar 16, 2016.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

The state can try again to put to death a condemned killer whose 2009 botched execution was called off after two hours, the Ohio Supreme Court said Wednesday.

The court by a 4-3 vote rejected arguments by death row inmate Romell Broom, whose attorneys said giving the state prisons agency a second chance would amount to cruel and unusual punishment and double jeopardy.

Prosecutors had argued double jeopardy doesn't apply because lethal drugs never entered Broom's veins while executioners unsuccessfully tried to hook up an IV. They also said a previously unsuccessful execution attempt doesn't affect the constitutionality of his death sentence.

"If the state cannot explain why the Broom execution went wrong, then the state cannot guarantee that the outcome will be different next time," French wrote.

Broom was sentenced to die for raping and killing 14-year-old Tryna Middleton after abducting her in Cleveland in 1984 as she walked home from a Friday night football game with two friends.

His 2009 execution was stopped by then-Gov. Ted Strickland after an execution team tried for two hours to find a suitable vein. Broom has said he was stuck with needles at least 18 times, with pain so intense he cried and screamed.

An hour into the execution, the Department of Rehabilitation and Correction recruited a part-time prison doctor with no experience or training with executions to try — again, unsuccessfully — to find a vein.

Broom's appeals in federal court were on hold while the state court heard the constitutional arguments.

Broom, 59, has been back on death row since. No new execution date has been set.

[​IMG]
    Federal appeals court upholds California's death penalty

Requiring Broom to endure another execution attempt would double his punishment by forcing him to relive the pain he's already been through, his attorneys, Adele Shank and Timothy Sweeney, argued in a court filing last year.

During a June hearing, Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor asked Shank about a prison official's testimony that Broom may have caused the problems with his veins by taking an entire box of antihistamines the day before to dehydrate himself. Shank said she witnessed Broom drinking coffee the day of the procedure. Chris Schroeder, an assistant Cuyahoga County prosecutor, said the antihistamines allegation was not part of the state's argument.

In 1947, Louisiana electrocuted 18-year-old Willie Francis by electric chair a year after an improperly prepared electric chair failed to work. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 to allow the second execution to proceed, rejecting double jeopardy arguments. A state's administration of its criminal law isn't affected by due process rights, when "an accident, with no suggestion of malevolence, prevents the consummation of a sentence," the court ruled at the time.

Ohio prosecutors said lower courts properly determined that any mistakes happened during Broom's execution preparations, not the actual procedure.

Schroeder said the evidence shows that the state wasn't deliberately trying to hurt Broom and that nearly two dozen successful executions since 2009 mean such an event couldn't happen again.

Death row killer's lawyers target victim's character

Middleton was killed Sept. 21, 1984, after she was abducted at knifepoint about 11:30 p.m. in East Cleveland, where she lived, while two 13-year-old girls she was walking with ran for help.

Her body was found three hours later in a nearby parking lot. She had been stabbed seven times and sexually assaulted.

Broom was convicted a year later based largely on the eyewitness accounts of the two other girls. The crime happened five months after he had been released from a nine-year prison lock-up for raping a 12-year-old girl in 1975.

Broom maintains he did not kill Middleton. During Friday's hearing, his legal team didn't go so far as to say he was innocent of murder, but they seemed to question whether there really had been an abduction and rape - criminal circumstances that triggered the death sentence for the slaying.

They introduced dozens of police reports of interviews with other teenagers who knew Middleton that were not disclosed by police or prosecutors during Broom's trial.

The reports portrayed Middleton and her two friends that night as being drunk on beer and high on marijuana. Middleton was also said to be sexually active and along with her girlfriends was known to accept rides from strangers.

" Romell Brown did not receive a fair trial," Sweeney, of Cleveland, told the board. "If all the evidence was known, he may have still been convicted, but he would have escaped the death sentence."

Sweeney was joined by attorneys Adele Shank and Alan Rossman. Rossman was one of Broom's original attorneys.

Prosecutors weren't buying it and told the Parole Board that Broom is a cold-blooded killer who has never expressed remorse.

2. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    When the drugs didn't work, they should have just hit him with a hammer.

3. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    looks like me after the last time i had a tooth pulled ...15 tries to find a vein and the dentist looked ready to kill LOL

chapped and reno like this.
  4. SlipperyVic

SlipperyVic In Gord We Trust Gold

Reputations:
    Should have just poked that low life piece of shit with the needle until it killed him.

FishySausage and Mr Cachexic like this.
  5. Mr Cachexic

Mr Cachexic Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    a tug on the trigger of a .44 mag would help find some veins

6. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Every execution should be botched. Let them keep trying every day for a couple of weeks before finally killing these pieces of shit.

7. Bubbleguts420

Bubbleguts420 2 word review, shit sandwich

Reputations:

chapped and Mr Cachexic like this.
  8. YodaQuiversStern

YodaQuiversStern Turn and face the strange

Reputations:
    Whaaaaaa! It hurt when I was poked with a needle 18 times, but I didn't think about how that little girl hurt when I stabbed her multiple times. Whaaaaaa!

Stag, Tickle Shits, PI Nate and 3 others like this.
  9. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    A small one, over and over and over.

reno likes this.
  10. Fa Fa Fruit Fly

Fa Fa Fruit Fly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lethal injection is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with liberal society.

We're going to KILL someone, but we don't want it to be messy, and we want to pretend they just lie there peacefully and drift off to sleep... so we ignore the torture of sitting around KNOWING you're going to die and the agony of the long walk to the execution chamber, etc.

Then if the guy trips and bangs his head on the way to the chamber, we rush them to the doctor to check if they are OK.. wouldn't want them to be anything less than perfect when we fucking KILL them.

If they really wanted it to be humane, they wouldn't tell them when their execution date was. They would just have someone come and shoot them in the head in their cell at night with a large caliber gun. They would never see it coming and it would be instant and their brain would be splattered everywhere and incapable of feeling a damn thing.

I do think making them wait around knowing they are going to die is the best part of capital punishment - but why all this bullshit with injections and electric chairs? Tie them to a pole and a headshot with a .50 cal is instant, cheap and foolproof. It's comical to see the procedures and mental gymnastics we go through as a society to convince ourselves we're doing things "right".

11. Slow

Slow All The Pieces Matter DawgShed News

Reputations:
    BLM should be protesting this. Social injustice if I ever saw it.

12. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Liberal societies really? It has nothing to do with the thousands and thousands of lawyers who like leeches suck the system for every penny?

You want to reform executions start by killing all the lawyers first then you'll find that system gets streamlined really quick

13. DABA

DABA Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jesus who was the fucktard phlebotomist in charge are of that shit show? I'll go up there and put the IV in for free, give me a chance to preform a civic duty.

Muffler and Mike Huntslooce like this.
  14. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah...and fuck the other parts of the constitution too!

15. Mike Huntslooce

Mike Huntslooce Maker of Champions Gold

Reputations:
    I'll kill the bastard. One bullet - I'll charge the state $5.00. I guarantee it won't take 2 god damn hours either.

16. Vincenzo69

Vincenzo69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It costs $1.2 million just to do a lethal injection execution. They have to administer three viles using chemicals imported from Germany and each vile costs $400,000.00.

Why not just shoot the fuckers?

Tickle Shits and Mike Huntslooce like this.
  17. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    One 5.56 round costs $0.20. Just shoot him once in the back of the head or in the T-Zone on his front. He's gone.

Mike Huntslooce likes this.
  18. Mike Huntslooce

Mike Huntslooce Maker of Champions Gold

Reputations:
    Exactly. I wanted at least $4 for my time involved. Unlike government, I am not greedy.

19. Vincenzo69

Reputations:
    You're charging for labor? I say have other inmates do the executions for free. They earn time subtracted from their sentence like guys who work the kitchen.

AcquiringSignal likes this.
  20. Smartguy

Smartguy This Space Is For Rent VIP

Reputations:
    Why don't they get a veterinarian to do it? They have amazing track records and it is done in seconds, no long drawn out process.