okay atheist smart asses - explain the Big Bang theory

Discussion in 'Unexplained Mysteries' started by Javaforgotme, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I'm agnostic - something faithful sometimes doubting - but one thing I know is the Big Bang Theory is bullshit.

There was nothing - then there was something. How dumb.

If you think you have a real explanation please share.

2. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold POTY Politics

Reputations:
  3. agnes

agnes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The universe is always expanding. So the theory is that it started at one central point that everything is still expanding from. If you're asking where the first "thing" came from, that is a question that can't be answered, at least at the moment. Certainly does not mean that "god" created everything

cwok likes this.
  4. Javaforgotme

Reputations:
    I never said anything about God - you did

I just think that Atheists like to point to flawed science to make a point.

Know one know if the universe is expanding or contracting.

Come on - the idea that there was nothing and then there was something is just dumb. Bang!

5. agnes

agnes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What? Scientists agree that the universe is always expanding. Into what? Who knows, it's mind blowing.

Not knowing how the first molecule came into existence is not "flawed science" lol. It's something science has not answered yet. Science is a process of learning - it does not state it knows everything. I think it is doubtful we will ever answer that question.

The Big Bang is just a theory. The truth is no one knows how the first molecule came into existence.

6. Javaforgotme

Reputations:
    Agreed - I just don't like it when science book explain creation by saying, "the big bang is what happened". most of the time no one says it's a theory. Just like Evolution is a theory - I don't believe in Adam and Eve - so don't get uptight - I think evolution is a good theory, but it's also just a theory.

Perhaps with dna research we'll someday prove how one being evolved through dna modification into another being - but until then, that is also a theory.

I'm amazed at how many different dinosaurs species keep getting discovered - it seems like, just when we think we know what happened in the past something occurs to screw up our science.

7. agnes

agnes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Evolution is a theory in the same way that "the earth is round" is a theory. They are both pretty much fact at this point, backed by evidence (Most people that don't believe in evolution don't know the science behind it, it's incredible). The Big Bang different is that sense.

Snort and TheSurvivingJesusTwin like this.
  8. Johnnykstaint

Johnnykstaint VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Im not pretending to understand this but all matter is supposedly constant and the "universe" or whatever we know that to be is really in a cyclical state of "big bangs" and "big crunches" where all matter alternately expands and contracts from an infinitesimally small scale to the more 'universe sized' scale.

TheSurvivingJesusTwin likes this.
  9. Teabag

Teabag ◬ Tearbag ◬ VIP

Reputations:
    Science is flawed because men make mistakes.

Something can come from nothing. You must open your mind to see it.

austin54 likes this.
  10. Angry Arab

Angry Arab Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I don't know what happened at the very beginning. No one really knows.

I think the big bang theory can sort of explain how our universe, and all others(except the first), came to be. I think, since we don't fully understand them anyway, the creation of a black hole could spawn a new, parallel universe. It sucks in huge amounts of matter...where does it all go?

As for evolution, I like to think of it more as a survival of the fittest. DNA mutates and whatever trait suits the conditions best is the one that thrives/survives.

11. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    is the OP a gp2 mult?

12. TheSurvivingJesusTwin

TheSurvivingJesusTwin Half as ubiquitous

Reputations:
    There's no answer to the first cause argument that will ever make sense. Either something came from nothing (be it a god or a big bang), or there was never nothing. Both answers defy comprehension.

Javaforgotme likes this.
  13. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    The minute you say, in the absence of any empirical data, that you think a theory is wrong simply because you don't understand it, you eliminate any reason for anyone else to discuss it with you.

14. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    Read Stephen Hawking's books. He took the time to painstakingly type them out with his tongue so you can understand how the Big Bang happened from "nothing".

Johnnykstaint likes this.
  15. MCO

MCO Member

Reputations:
    Scientists form a hypothesis based on what's currently known, this knowledge changes as research methods advance so opinions and facts are sometimes slow in coming. Humans generally do not like the idea that some things are not yet known to the mind and have tendencies to invent ways of explaining the unknown to comfort themselves and fill in the gaps. I could only imagine our developing consciousness being scared shitless when experiencing the thunder and lightning in the sky and wondering what it was. Could you imagine for the first time when we experienced the death of someone next to us that was just "alive" and wondered "what" left them? When you try to adjust your mind to what you just seen you have to filter it through your experiences; What happens if you don't have prior experiences? There are categories of thought that still transcend all human experience. You have to be excepting in the fact that although we've learned much that it could still be awhile before all your questions get answered. When you start talking about the beginning of the universe and the idea that something came from nothing your talking about a category similar to UFO's and alien life and there will always be people that quickly say that a UFO is "aliens" instead of just being unknown. So the ultimate answer to your question is to except the fact that right now there are only educated guesses and more questions. If you're not willing to except that and the unknown continues to scare you too much then turn to one of a hundred stories that will give you all the answers you seek, allowing you to feel complete, and get a good night's sleep.

16. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Evolution doesn't preclude the existence of God. Neither does proof of the existence of extra-terrestrial life.

17. Not Sure

Not Sure Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Who made God?

18. Javaforgotme

Reputations:
    why do you need the answer to everything to believe in something?

19. MCO

MCO Member

Reputations:
    Firstly, YOU (as in the universal "you" or all of us) made God!
    Supposedly one of the first questions asked of a computer was "Is there a God?"; After several minutes of flashing lights and noise an answer was printed out and read aloud by a bystander, "Now there is."
    I always thought and would ask my superstitious friends which is scarier, all the monsters and demons in the world or the imagination and persons that made them up?
    I remember a conversation I had with a priest when I was about 12. I was not interested in going inside the church (and having it spontaneously catch on fire) with my heathen friends (I knew them better than their mother which thought they were angels) that were told by their mother, who was a fortune teller (she must've skipped the part in the bible which spoke about false prophets), to get ashes. I was waiting outside and talking with the priest. He was explaining the definition of faith as believing in something without proof. He asked me if I believed in God and I said no. He said that he couldn't explain to me then the existence of God logically, which made me think that he thought I wasn't capable of understanding. I asked him "If you could explain logically why do I need faith then?" With experience and logic you don't need faith.
    Lastly, I am spiritual but not religious, there's a difference. Religion comes from the Latin word "religio" which means "to link back". Much of the bible is universal truths that are ageless but much is also based on the science and philosophy of people that lived thousands of years ago. I can appreciate the symbols the bible lays out and the messages behind them but I never got caught up in concretizing the symbols.

Angry Arab likes this.