Okay, Nomads, Where To Next? (Artie Alternatives)

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Peau de Soie, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Talky Preamble:
    I assume most of us are part of the greater Stern diaspora, having left that slow-sinking humorless ship and found some footing on the shaky ground of Rick & Marty and then the rumbling volcanic island of The Artie Lange Show.

Now that it's over, Jonny, or damn close to it ("diabeetus", rehab, temp hosts, bounced Ritchie, unknown Artie return date, etc., etc.), where do you plan to take your viewing/listening next? At best case, Artie returns next week and finishes his contract (December?). At worst, it's Ritchie and Stover land as far as the eye can see.

I suggest we limit the suggestions to Comedy, since no one on Earth was turning to Artie Lange for sports content, and we are unlikely to find common ground in other niches (religious, music, drama, tech, art, crafts, hobbies, politics, news, industry, finance, etc.).

What Will You Watch / Listen To?

CURRENT: My current podcast feeds include Penn's Sunday School, WTF (Maron, only with a good guest), The Bugle (John Oliver), The Smartest Man in the World (Greg Proops), This Week With Larry Miller (not listening lately), and Monday Morning Podcast (Bill Burr). Also "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me", but not sure that counts as comedy.

FUTURE: I may try out or add in Mohr Stories, You Know What Dude? (Robert Kelly), Rogan (unlikely), Comedy Bang Bang, and/or "By the Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin". If I ever find a decent way to download (not stream) podcast versions, I might pick up a Comedy Central show or two (the usual, Colbert and TDS in that order). I'd be happy with video podcasts -- not Youtube or other streaming.

OTHER: I listen to Judge John Hodgman sometimes, and infrequently The Nerdist, but they do NOT qualify as comedy in my opinion. The Nerdist is particularly unfunny unless the guest is great. I also listen tech shows and some NPR and cooking and miscellaneous stuff.

One comedy podcast list is at http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2013/12/the-20-best-comedy-podcasts-of-2013.html

I'm audio and podcast-heavy; if you currently consume Arthur visually, please feel free to say what you'll be watching instead.

Your thoughts?

2. jaceson

jaceson Member

Reputations:
    I like Rogan when he has interesting guests. Jimmy Pardo has a good one. Jay Mohr had some really funny ones in the past, not aas much since he got a national sports show. Maybe not enough time.

3. sumiyoshi

sumiyoshi Member

Reputations:
    Phil Hendrie show, Hollywood Babble On, How Did This Get Made, Tell 'Em Steve-Dave, sometimes the O&A & Kevin & Bean podcasts are funny.

4. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Yeah I just heard his interview on Bill Burr (Burr's second guest in 7 years, which is just crazy) and he was bragging about how easy his 3 hour per day sports radio gig was and how many affiliates he had, and how he goes right to pick up his kid from school after the show. It was like hearing an alternate dimension version of Artie. Also his Norm MacDonald and Colin Quinn impressions were scary good.

5. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You are 100% correct about Jay. His guests have sucked lately. I listen to Rogan, Carolla and Maron only when they have a guest I'm interested in. Florentine is a must listen. I listen to one called "How Did This Get Made" where a couple of guys from "The League" make fun of shitty movies.

6. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Listening to Carolla whenever he had "a guest I'm interested in" was EXACTLY what made me delete his feed. Someone here a while back summarized it very well; Carolla gives such ridiculously short shrift and airtime to his guests that it just makes me angry.

7. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree. I just FF thru it until the guest comes on.

8. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    Garlin's podcast is very middle of the road. He has great guests, but it's not usually laugh-out-loud type of funny. He gets into these absurd laughing fits at either technical issues or accidents that occur where they are recording. He reminisces about their past together and asks them about the craft of ___. It's also kind of pretentious...in the last episode, he interviews himself. The saving grace is that he has limited it to 26 episodes.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have much to add from my personal lists that isn't already mentioned. How did this get made? is a really great podcast.

As for life after Artie, I watched the show on TV, so my alternative will be late night talk shows. Only got the podcast when I wasn't around to watch.

9. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bill Burr

10. Greekfreak

Greekfreak New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    There are time capsule episodes of WTF that I've listened to, but lately his guests just suck ass. And his Artie interview was really shitty. Fitzsimmons interview with Artie was way better.

Carolla's voice gnaws at me. Depending on his guests I tune in for them, but otherwise I can't stand him.

Mohr's a smarmy douchebag and flatly unlikable, but he does have a few good episodes. His show with Tom Arnold is a must-hear.

11. Asshat

Asshat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have no more shits to give right now. I'll just keep listening to Carolla's morning zoo crapfest for now. I am set in my ways. It took me like a year post Artie to finally stop listening to Stern.

12. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Might be no rush; according to the listening thread Norton said Artie's back Monday. That might give you a few more months of mediocre radio drama and occasional comedy (see "best case" above).

13. Dicky

Dicky Member

Reputations:
    I used to listen to O&A because they (were) refreshingly un-PC, but quit after XM dropped their station since I listened to it on the way home from work. I'll probably give Maron's podcast a shot. Maybe Carolla again.

14. g2de

g2de Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Nick Dipaolo's podcast is enjoyable.

Frank likes this.
  15. Death Smack

Death Smack Active Member

Reputations:
    I will either listen to Nick when I have time or nothing at all

Frank likes this.
  16. Dicky

Dicky Member

Reputations:
    Sorry, Rick. I'm not a neocon, and you already told your (shitty) Maine football stories before you got kicked to the curb. Hard break, bitch.

Frank likes this.
  17. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Check out DiPaolo's podcasts when he has Joe List as a guest - List's a Green Party supporter, and they banter pretty well. Nick seems to be sort of a rabbi to List. You hear echoes of his conversations with Artie when they talk.

List's podcast, Tuesdays with Stories with Mark Normand, is a good listen as well.

18. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Ah, Rick bashing, just like the good old days! :)

19. Dicky

Dicky Member

Reputations:
    Its what brought me here in the first place. But hell, is there anyone we don't bash?

20. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    James The Board Op?