Okay, the current Stern show sucks. What should it be?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by yahoo, Feb 25, 2015.

1. yahoo

yahoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think it's an interesting discussion. Howard is 61. He can't be ogling young women and throwing bologna at women's asses without looking like an old perv. And I'm not sure anyone still wants to be savaging other people in their golden years.

So what should the show be?

It it even possible for a Stern show to be cutting edge at this point? I mean, Letterman has been in neutral for a decade.

Here's my vision (I realized Howard doesn't give a shit at this point). Share yours...

I think Howard's world has become far too insular. The same callers, the same wackpackers, the same guests. I think it would be easy to open the show to new creative input just by mixing up the guests.

Bring back the comedians. This is simple and easy. Lots of incredibly funny guys who could sit in the entire show and bring a fresh feel.

More Richard and Sal. They seem to be brought out far too infrequently. Let them do more practical jokes.

Use Benjy to crash important news events. Seems to be the only thing he does well. Have him become the new Stuttering John and ask questions of celebrities at Red Carpet events.

Howard needs to some original bits that revive some of his old rebel attitude. How about "Smart or Prick?" They play soundbites of celebrities and Howard leads a roundtable to vote on the their opinion. Or "Worst Call Ever" - where Howard calls to wake up random celebrities on the West coast.

Howard, although most likely reluctant, needs to start getting honest again about his life. You know he hates cats. You know the sex with Beth is awful. He needs to start sharing his anger again.

Guacamole likes this.
  2. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. gotnolife

gotnolife Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Off the air.

4. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am fine if he wants to do what he is doing now but just be honest about it. Don't hide when you fire Lisa G or your entire TV crew because you didn't have enough subscribers. Be self deprecating about the show. Involve real listeners. Ask for their input and not just Bobo's and Marianne's. Two days ago Howard read an e-mail saying how this listener will love Howard no matter his schedule and if he only worked 2 days a week. That was a fake email to kiss his ass.

There often are times where a huge popular band gets older and they can no longer sell arenas so they start playing clubs. What is nice is those club shows are more intimate and usually filled with the hardcore fans. The band usually appreciates it and are humbled so they check their ego at the door and play their asses off. That is what Howard needs to do. Check your ego, appreciate the fans you have, and make the show more real and intimate and just be thankful for what you have.

5. Beth Onostrosky

Beth Onostrosky Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Quit being so politically correct, it kills funny. Since Howard can no longer be funny himself put some funny shows on, back office radio would be a good start and he could do it instantly.

6. Mike2077

Mike2077 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The show should not be...
    Especially for 12 bucks a month or whatever they charge these days.

teehee likes this.
  7. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't think Howard should be attempting comedy anymore. We now know that he was never actually funny to begin with, and relied on funnier people to prop him up. The show I now want is the show his therapist gets paid to listen to. I want to hear about his and Beth's peculiar living agreements, his distrust of her, his contempt for and resentment of his daughters, etc.

Elisa Jane, blindbella, reno and 9 others like this.
  8. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Nah, there's no way back. I hate to say it, but it's over. Howard spent an amazing amount of energy on the show for his entire adult life, and he's burned out on it. I'm listening to stuff from the mid nineties now, and Howard is on fucking FIRE during the entire show, 5 days a week. There's no holding back, and he's fighting like a man with nothing to lose. You can't do that kinda shit at 61 with the same kind of anger and energy.

He should have ended the show after Artie left, and started a new show with a different name. The Howard Stern interview hour, or something. People hate the show now mostly because they compare it to how it used to be.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  9. Just Me

Just Me VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Canceled is the only correct answer. And then Howard should go bankrupt. And only then will my life be complete.

10. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Put out of it's misery.

11. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  12. Beefus and Wigward lies

Beefus and Wigward lies Hurts so good.

Reputations:
    Sexual raunch, gag interviews on the street, personal humiliation of the staff and Esp. Howard making fun of himself.

13. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Now Howard asks guys about their cocks and only does bits that involve men getting naked, so he looks like an old GAY perv.

DiamondGoddess, kingship and Stag like this.
  14. dexterdog

dexterdog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    At this point, it doesn't matter what Stern does anymore. He's alienated too much of his fanbase, been exposed as an unfunny fraud and has gotten lazy, uncreative and is neutered by his blonde bimbo of a trophy wife. He seems to be doing everything possible to make his show unlistenable and is systematically eliminating content on his channels. I hung in there for as long as I could, mainly out of habit, but two weeks ago I got rid of my Sirius subscription. It's gotten so bad that I can't even force myself to listen to his show anymore, so basically what he does now is completely meaningless to me.

15. AGT Blows

Reputations:
    It's way beyond the point of no repair. Kill it with fire. Goodnight unfunny, dick-nosed, hypocritical, pathologically lying, closeted, money grubbing asshole. I hope he suffocates on Beth's cock.

16. lurkeymclurkerson

lurkeymclurkerson Member

Reputations:
    THSS is basically Larry King Live on radio. Dreadfully boring softball interviews and Howard's pathetic attempts to incorporate sponsors into every news segment and monologue. He's basically kept all staff outside of Robin, Benji (and a painfully subdued Fred) out of the studio now, and Stern has gone full Howard Hughes.

The show has basically become an insular bubble of Howard's life and interests. No more Sal and Richard, no more JD, no more Ronnie, no more Will or Jason. Instead, you will get one scripted question from Bobo, one scripted AGT promo from Marianne and 15 minutes listening to Howard discuss his new-found interest of sketching (or watercolors, or photography, or guitar etc) with Robin.

THSS of the last two years has been almost entirely un-listenable, and my fear is there's no going back.

17. Caesar

Caesar Active Member

Reputations:
    I wish he would retire. Its really beyond help at this point.

18. AGT Blows

Reputations:
    Well said. I would only alter your last sentence. I would change two years to five, but that's just my opinion.

dalecooper likes this.
  19. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Easy question.
    It should be the Jay Thomas show.

yaddc, jimbronie and Beffquus like this.
  20. Beffquus

Beffquus Scripta sunt in stellis Gold

Reputations:
    Lots of good ideas here but the fundamental issue is that the King has lost what he said he always had when it comes to the show - Eye of the Tiger. He doesn't want to be in the fight anymore - there's no way to keep score with ratings so why put effort into the show. He's obsessed with other things now - he said that this morning. Hey - he got paid and once that happened, the show was finished. You know he's fucked up - he said that he told Kid Rock he did not really worry about buying things anymore - except he has two huge houses (paid for with cash and carrying a huge nut in property taxes), flies between them on private jets and his wife has shoes, handbags and dresses out the ass. No real sense of self - no ability to fix the show. It's over, Johnny.

Beth Onostrosky likes this.