One bedroom trailer surrounded by multi-million dollar Hamptons homes

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Feb 8, 2015.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If only this was Howard's neighbor.

Bought for just $300 in 1956, it is home to a modest one-bedroom trailer and a shed crammed with fishing gear.

But nearly six decades on, this one third-acre site in the Hamptons in New York's Long Island is on sale for more than $1million.

The property, owned by fisherman, Richard Lester, 79, sits in the exclusive Amagansett South enclave, where a home recently fetched $4million.

Situated just one mile away from the ritzy Indian Wells Beach, it is surrounded by the rich and famous, including Jerry Seinfeld and Paul McCartney.

According to Douglas Elliman Real Estate, which has listed the site, it could easily be transformed into a 4,000sq ft house with a huge swimming pool.

On its website, the real estate company tells potential buyers: 'You are not dreaming, this mobile home is over a third of an acre on a private third of an acre flag lot in Amagansett South. Just a mile away from Indian Wells Beach, south of the highway location adjacent to a home that just sold for $4M.'

It adds: 'Use as is now, while you plan for your 4,000 square foot new house with 20 foot x 50 foot swimming pool.'

Speaking to the New York Post, Mr Lester explained how he had moved the $15,000 wood-paneled trailer to the $300 land in the late 1950s.

'I had to work my a** off to get that,' said Mr Lester, who lives in the small property with his wife, Tess, and still works at sea.

He added he was shocked by the site's new value, $1.1million, which is likely due to the Hamptons's popularity with celebrities and bankers.

When asked if he ever thought he would land 'the big one' in the property world, he replied: 'Not in God’s world. I think it’s ridiculous!'

Listings agent Ray Lord, of Douglas Elliman Real Estate, said the price of the site is based solely on its exclusive, highly sought-after location.

Indeed, the Hamptons is not only a desired location for wealthy homebuyers, but also a popular summer hot-spot for sociable multi-millionaires.

There are now a handful of Hamptons owners who each year ask for more than a million dollars to rent out their pads for roughly two months.

Homes in the area come with the type of perks you would typically find at a five-star resort, including outdoor swimming pools and tennis courts.

Many also feature indoor pools, basketball courts, bowling alleys, indoor half-pipes and racquetball courts that convert to squash courts.

Speaking of Mr Lester's on-sale land, trailer and shed, Mr Lord said: 'Erase the trailer from your mind and it’s $1million for land.'

He added that all potential buyers so far have been builders. 'No one, I imagine, would build less than a three-bedroom, three-bathroom house,' he said.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

x76, ARM, Nemo and 2 others like this.
  2. AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard should buy it for Beff. She could use the trailer as a second closet.

reno, Nibbler, rabbigottfried and 2 others like this.
  3. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    "Homes in the area come with the type of perks you would typically find at a five-star resort, including outdoor swimming pools and tennis courts."
    "Many also feature indoor pools, basketball courts, bowling alleys, indoor half-pipes and racquetball courts that convert to squash courts."

Now I know why Howard dresses like a Sk8r Boi, he's got an indoor half-pipe.

He's so happening.

John Coktoaston, ARM and AuntDolly like this.
  4. babybear

babybear r.i.p 8/3/15, Wherewolf of AZ VIP

Reputations:
    I hope someone replaces it with a new trailer.

5. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    Too small. :coffee:

AbeVigoda likes this.
  6. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I wish it was next door to the Sterns. When they would look out their window they would see a traler.

XXXXX and ARM like this.
  7. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:

x76 likes this.
  8. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Jeff the drunks trailer or am I confused?

9. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:
    So this nipplehead can't believe it's worth that much? Has he ever looked at his property taxes and perhaps wondered why they're $20,000 a year?

10. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great story. Nice little place. If he fishes, he's alright with me.