One thing about tipping that annoys me

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Lucky Pierre, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No, not that it's expected.

No, not that we as a society can never have a rational debate on this subject.

No, it's not the pathetic excuses about how they live off their tips as if that somehow justifies making it the customer's responsibility.

No, it's not the bizarre double standards about how you conveniently never even think about tipping other people who provide you a service - like the kid at Subway, the kid at the dry cleaner, etc.

No, it's not lie about "not making minimum wage" because in California and many other states they do in fact make minimum wage and in other states they are required by law to at least pay them minimum wage if their tips fall short.

No, it's not the lie about how it keeps down food costs or will make service worse. Business owners will always price their food competitively to bring in customers and they will still demand their customers are treated well.

No, it's not the complete hypocrisy that servers begging for your money and threatening you with bad service, spitting, etc will brand you as being a cheap asshole. The irony! The customers are the cheap assholes, not the guy blackmailing and begging you.

No.... what really annoys me is how it is based on a % of your total check:

Two tables:

Table A orders two salads and $20 bottle of wine. Total bill is $40. 20% tip $8
    Table B orders two high end plates and an expensive bottle of wine. Total bill is $200. 20% tip is $40

$40 vs. $8 for doing the exact same work to both tables. Same number of trips. Same everything.

Yep.... very annoying that we all about to play along.

Tyrus, Nice, No Mercy and 6 others like this.
  2. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    I really hope this thread doesn't start a tipping debate......I really don't think I can stand to hear some dumbass say "If you don't want to tip, stay home.".....

4. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Of course you are against tipping.
    How about throwing Dawg a $5 bill every once in a while for hosting this board you fucking tightwad ?

5. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    Or the urban myth/lie to insure prompt service

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  6. Lucky Pierre

Reputations:
    Why?

7. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:

The wait staff is paid ~$2.00 per hour and has to tip out the bartender and the busboy. That money comes from your tip.

When you don't tip, the waiter/waitress actually loses income on your visit.

8. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I usually tip 20% unless service is especially good or bad. However, I don't base the tip amount with the sales tax included on my bill. But I do notice that the receipts that calculate the 20% on the bottom of it does include the tax.

Am I being a dick ?

IfTheyOnlyKnew, Mulletude and thos19 like this.
  9. greenchiclets

greenchiclets Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My family went out to eat recently, the service was terrible, took 20 minutes for the bread that they forgot to bring out, horrible food, etc... my wife hates when my anger comes out in situations like this, so at the end of the dinner, just to spite me, she tips the fucking guy really well. Fucking cunt.

shitba, Tyrus, IfTheyOnlyKnew and 4 others like this.
  10. Engaged Chicken

Engaged Chicken VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Stay home if you have a problem with tipping. :rolleye:

11. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've always been a good tipper. I understand they get paid practically nothing and have to take a lot of shit from customers. So, even if my server isn't the greatest or slow as shit, I cut them some slack.

My gripe is with this new trend I'm seeing more frequently. Tipping jars. I go to get donuts or bagels, I'm now expected to tip them for putting them in a bag for me??? The latest one I've seen really blew my mind. I went to a local supermarket and they had a tipping jar at the cash register! What's next? Will the nurse at the hospital put a Tipping Jar on the gurney you're laying on? Give me a fucking break already with the fucking handouts.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    Tyrus, agnes, Mr Sinister and 16 others like this.
  12. MrPACS

MrPACS Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Tipping is an American thing FYI; SHOCKER. Go to Europe.......no tipping there. I'd prefer to see them do away with tipping. Pay the staff a fair wage and be done with the BS.

Nice, No Mercy, Hankjones and 11 others like this.
  13. joemama

joemama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    This is the best tip I can give to anyone, the roads are filled with poor drivers

IfTheyOnlyKnew, Skipnoid and Captain like this.
  14. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    Technically you don't need to include the tax as part of the total when you figure the 20%

However, I only break it down to that level if the server did something to make me pissy :) Otherwise, I am happy to pay it.

There are such cheap asses out there that I am sure your servers are happy to get the 20% pre or post tax

15. EvolvedMarbles

EvolvedMarbles Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Think of the tip as a commission on a sale, not a commission on the work effort.

The same logic could be applied that table A ordered 10oz top sirloins, and table B ordered 14oz 40-day dry-aged bone-in ribeyes. Yes they came from a cow just the same but the cost of goods/sell price changes.

16. Johnnykstaint

Johnnykstaint VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    So you saying all that other stuff doesnt annoy you even a little?

IfTheyOnlyKnew and Jayla like this.
  17. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    When you're really hungry, bad service seems much worse than it really is. A little bit of bread and water calms things immediately.

18. JFK

JFK Ask not what your country can do for you. Gold

Reputations:
    I tip the broad at the dry cleaner. She has my stuff hanging when I pull in.

19. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    No.

20. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i stopped going to office functions because of the low lifes who would leave 50 cents or nothing. 10 to 20 people, maybe a 4 dollar tip. i'd make up the difference and got tired of being embarrassed by the cheap fucks.

when i'm out with people and i see that they don't tip well, it tells me something about them. and unless pussy is involved, i'm not interested in hanging with them.

what can i say, i'm a tipper. :bigcry: