Online Backup

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by The Bloody Nine, Aug 30, 2015.

1. The Bloody Nine

The Bloody Nine VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Does anyone have an online backup service they like?

Every time there's a new wildfire out here in CA I worry I'll lose all the pictures and home movies of my kids when they were younger, which would really be the only thing that would be irreplaceable assuming we all survive.

Howard related because he keeps a big-toothed arrogant little brain on staff who knows nothing about technology but is allowed to haughtily sneer at his audience about his 'knowledge.'

Computers I use are all Apple. Thanks in advance to anyone with a recommendation.

lilbuddy67 likes this.
  2. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jpeg it thru the email

3. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

Why not use an external drive and Time Machine.

That way you don't have to worry about any clouds at all.

That's what I do - and I'm backing up files for work - files that are worth a small fortune to the companies I work with.

4. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    What if the house and the external drive burn down ?

John Mahlin and The Bloody Nine like this.
  5. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

I keep a second backup at a friends house.

I also know some people who put a backup of a backup in a fire safe safe.

6. The Bloody Nine

The Bloody Nine VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I have a time machine backup, and have considered moving it to a separate location every few months or so refreshing that so not much at risk.

But the poster who pointed out the issue of losing both machines concurrently is speaking to my concern re: losing the whole shebang.

7. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    If all you care about is pics and vids Google photos can't be beat. It's incredible how it organizes your shit for you. All free.

8. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    I only use a hard drive backup, one at home and take one to the office and lock it in my desk. Only thing is, I don't live in CA so no chance both locations burn down at the same time.

The Bloody Nine and Shortwave98 like this.
  9. captbill

captbill Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I use CrashPlan https://www.code42.com/crashplan/ from Code42. What I like about it is that it will back up your entire PC, not just files on your C: drive. No limit on the amount of space. A very reasonable price.

When you download the software, there is an free option that you can use to back up your files to a friends PC. if you and the friend reciprocate, then it costs you nothing. I backup to the cloud. I have two PCs and have about 100GB backed up.

Fawkesguy and GentlemenBroncos like this.
  10. Ingens

Ingens VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I don't trust the cloud. External HD backup only.

11. Quedee

Quedee Wise Ass Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    I use IDrive.

12. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I backup on an external hard drive. It's only a matter of time before the big cloud services get hacked and ALL your private files and pictures are exposed. 5TB hard drives are now around $100-$125 when you find them on sale. Well worth it IMO.

I have used Dropbox.com mostly for temporary storage of files that I needed access to on another computer with Internet access. I have found thatbdropbox is very easy to use and has a nice and clean interface. I would recommend it.

On a related note, I am looking into buying a scanner to scan all my parents' (and my) old photos. If anyone has done this and has any pointers or recommendations, I would appreciate any suggestions.

13. Caesar

Caesar Active Member

Reputations:
    I use multiple encrypted external drives in various off-site locations. The 'cloud' is ok for casual stuff, but if it matters to you, back it up yourself.

The Bloody Nine likes this.
  14. Cunt

Cunt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    External in my office for my home files, and one in my home for my office files.

Younger people I knew call me a dinosaur for doing that, but I'm a control freak.

EmperorsNewCaps likes this.
  15. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    the cloud scares me.

I would just do a drag'n'drop backup to an external hard drive that you leave in a different location than your main house or living location.

SouthernListen likes this.
  16. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    upload_2015-8-31_0-26-46.jpeg [​IMG]

17. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I encrypt and backup to the cloud. I also version everything so I can restore to any point in time I choose.

I far prefer the cloud model as I can backup nightly and have full off site recovery, with access from anywhere.
    Those external drives give you no real protection as they can fail, and you pretty much have to connect them all the time to keep them in sync (which drives up the failure rate).
    I also do not trust solid state storage as I have seen it fail in dramatic ways.

For data on the order of gigabytes, it works well. Once you get into Terabytes I would build a pair of NAS's and mirror off site. This starts to get expensive though.

blindbella and The Bloody Nine like this.
  18. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    I've always used Google drive, which worked fine for me for years. Ever since I moved to Windows 10, I decided to also move my stuff to Microsoft OneDrive. Their family plan is great, and I share it with my parents & sister. For 10 bucks a month you get 5 accounts with 1 TB of storage each + 5 MS Office subscriptions. That deal is very hard to beat & their software works on all platforms. Microsoft Office still beats the shit out of any other Office solution, don't let anyone tell you anything different. Microsoft has said they're going to add many new features later this year to OneDrive, too.

Pricing & info:
    https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/plans/

Google Drive is also great. Their web-interface is more mature than OneDrive. One of the reasons (besides the price & MS Office subsctiption) I switched over to MS's solution was that the new Google Photos app feels a little bit too intrusive to me. Microsoft's OneDrive feels more like a corporate/stoic/boring-but-safe solution.
    https://www.google.com/intl/en/drive/

Speed is about the same between the two, and I'm sure both have redundant/failsafe backups. Google Drive is built on Google's insane infrastructure, and OneDrive is based on Microsoft's Azure platform, which is used by top corporations and governments. If you do a long and hard search, you'd be hard pressed to find reports of random data loss.

If you're paranoid or have something to hide, you can also look into what these guys have to offer:
    https://spideroak.com/

From what I've read, their service works, but it's slow compared to Google Drive and OneDrive. Apps are also supposedly less impressive.

:hat:

19. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:

I use DropBox and iDrive.
    I also have the iDrive 1TB wireless local backup drive.

20. the G-man

the G-man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you use Apple computers wouldn't it make sense to just set up iCloud?