News Only in America - Dick Cheney gets Immortalized with a bust

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Dec 3, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    not that kind of bust a marble one.

static2.politico.com.jpg

Cheney and George W. Bush, together again
    Former vice president immortalized in marble and one-liners.

Former Vice President Dick Cheney is one of the most controversial men to ever serve in that post, a stern and unyielding conservative just dubbed "Old Iron Ass" by his former boss, President George H. W. Bush.

And he's a lovable grandpa, a devoted husband and father, faithful public servant and colleague — a conservative touchstone who defended, if not saved, the country on numerous occasions.

Both of these views of Cheney were on display on Thursday in the Capitol. And that's just what his friends and admirers say.

President George W. Bush led a parade of current and former GOP lawmakers and ex-White House aides — as well as Vice President Joe Biden, the only Democrat in attendance — during the unveiling of Cheney's vice presidential bust, a tradition dating back more than 130 years.

The event, which took place in the Capitol Visitors Center, was a reunion of sorts for Bush and Cheney, who have only appeared publicly together a handful times since Bush's presidency ended in 2009.

In recent years, much has been made in the media over tension between the two men, most notably regarding Bush's decision not to pardon Cheney's "alter ego," former White House aide Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

Libby — who was also at the ceremony — was convicted in 2007 over his role in the leak of undercover CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity. Bush commuted Libby's 30-month prison sentence, but would not pardon Libby, despite Cheney's repeated pleas to do so. Libby was fined $250,000 and disbarred following his felony conviction.

Yet if there is bad blood between the two men — who served 2,922 days together in the White House, according to Cheney — it wasn't on display today. And friends note that the two men still talk on the phone, and Cheney attended the opening of Bush's presidential library in May 2013.

A trim, relaxed Bush — albeit with a dwindling head of hair — used the event to reel off a string of one-liners, as if he was taking part in a celebrity roast for Cheney rather than a solemn ceremony.

"The last time I was in Washington, I was hanged in the White House," Bush deadpanned. "This time, I've returned to find my vice president getting busted in the Capitol," he continued, amid audible groans.

secondary-cheney-4-pack.jpg

More Bush, this time mocking Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) for his beard: "I want to thank Paul Ryan for his leadership. He's trying out for the Abraham Lincoln lookalike." That one got a big laugh.

Bush again: "Last week, I told mother and dad that I was coming here for the [Cheney] bust unveiling. Dad perked up and he said,' 'Send my best regards to Old Iron Ass.' That is indeed a badge of honor."

Finally, though, Bush offered unreserved praise for Cheney, although he couldn't resist another dig about Cheney being chosen to lead his vice-presidential search committee and coming up with ... himself.

"The truth is I knew all along that Dick Cheney had the character, integrity and judgment that I needed and wanted as a running mate," Bush said. "He had the experience to step in as commander-in-chief if I ever got hit by a bus. Or choked on a pretzel."

"For eight consequential years, I benefited from his wise counsel. He was the principal and most trusted adviser on the most difficult questions facing our country," Bush added.

Cheney, 74, anchored the event. Looking healthy despite longtime heart problems — although he sounded frailer than he used to — the one-time Wyoming representative, House minority whip, Defense secretary, and White House chief of staff praised his former colleagues and aides, especially Bush.

"I don't remember when I met President [George H.W.] Bush's eldest son, but I must a have made a half-decent impression," Cheney recalled. "When the time came and Gov. Bush needed a running mate and got the notion that I could find one, that search committee was a diligent little enterprise, and before long, we found our man."

"He's a man of great strength, and also great gentleness," Cheney said of Bush. "He also has integrity, a sense of humor, and an utter lack of pretense... I have been granted a few distinctions along the way in politics, and there's none I prize more than to have my name there in the story of those years besides the name of our president, George W. Bush."

Yet the Cheney bust, at least to many, didn't really resemble Cheney. The figure is not wearing his signature glasses, which he's rarely been seen without. And rather than sporting his trademark scowl, the bust is carved with a Bush-like half-smirk.

"If I didn't know who it was, I wouldn't have recognized it," joked Jim Nicholson, who served as Veterans Affairs secretary and RNC chairman under Bush. "Doesn't really look like him."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/dick-cheney-george-bush-bust-capitol-216402#ixzz3tJNC5yZh

2. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure all Vice Presidents get a bust.

3. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The dude was a puppeteer of a president. Guess he deserves a little rock statue

Shortwave98 likes this.
  4. dawg

Reputations:
    I know but there has to be some Cheney jokes in there somewhere.

5. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    well he is a boob

that's comedy

Hamster, Beth143nacho and Dorb like this.
  6. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    His name is Dick.

7. dawg

Reputations:
    Joe Biden was there, of course he backed the war for oil too. Cant just say one side or the other in this case.

8. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
  9. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    the man has 9 lives.

10. dawg

Reputations:
    main_cheneybiden_0528.jpg.560x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Nemo likes this.
  11. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    gay americans love dick! :grad:

12. YinzerMasshole

YinzerMasshole VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He should have a bust in the Saudi Royal palace, given how well he followed their orders for decades.

BethWeave likes this.
  13. Bianca's Dead Carcass

Bianca's Dead Carcass Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    War wimp get's a bust…is there tits on that bust????

14. crazycreep

crazycreep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    New Bust in Capitol Building Honors Dick Cheney for Ending Terrorism
    [​IMG]
    Dick Cheney at the unveiling of his bust in the U.S. Capitol on Dec. 3, 2015.
    Photo by Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images

A bust of Dick Cheney was unveiled at the U.S. Capitol on Thursday, a customary honor for former vice presidents that had the ancillary benefit of celebrating the ex-veep's achievement of ending radical Islamic terrorism via the invasion of Iraq.

The logic of the Cheney-advocated 2003 Iraqi invasion was widely questioned at the time given that the horrific murders of Sept. 11, 2001, were perpetrated not by the Iraqi government but by al-Qaida terrorists of mostly Saudi origin working for an organization based in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Some observers also wondered whether the U.S.'s security interests would be served by overthrowing the government of a heavily armed, factionally and religiously divided country without any subsequent plan in place to provide its citizens with security or basic services.

Advertisement
    However, in retrospect it is hard to say that Cheney's decisions were anything but deeply prescient, and one thing is certain: The invasion ended Islamic terrorism and did not create a civil war that ironically allowed al-Qaida to flourish in an area where it had no prior presence, ultimately begetting an even more dangerous and inhumane splinter group called ISIS that continues to threaten American lives to this day.

Many speakers at Thursday's event commented on the unique courage demonstrated by Cheney's willingness to commit thousands of young American soldiers, airmen, sailors, and Marines to death or permanent incapacitation abroad despite his admission that he intentionally avoided military service when he himself was a young man during a time of war.

Cheney was also praised for his ethical decision not to arrange for a company which had very recently paid him tens of millions of dollars and in which he had "a continuing financial interest" to become one of the largest beneficiaries of United States federal spending in Iraq. One can only imagine the repercussions if he had actually done something like that.

Here's to Dick Cheney!

*Everything in this article is a grim, rueful joke except for the part about the traditional vice presidential bust being unveiled at the Capitol on Thursday. That actually did happen.

supernaut likes this.
  15. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Of course it's only in America. I wouldn't expect other countries to honor US Vice Presidents just like we don't have a bust of Sigmar Gabriel on display in our Capital.

Head Censor and AcquiringSignal like this.
  16. zutroy

zutroy Totally nude. Totally flawless.

Reputations:
    something about an old dick and an old bush? I don't know...I'm too tired to think of one. Too stupid as well.

17. ClintDagger

ClintDagger World's #2 Ranked Poster - Exec VP Larry, Inc VIP

Reputations:
    @dawg, show some god damn respect. The man ran our country for 8 years.

Beth143nacho and dawg like this.
  18. treyphan77

treyphan77 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Never could stand him

19. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    He's a war criminal and his actions are exactly why we are int he mess we are in with radicals

20. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

kggtty likes this.