News Oregon's New Pay Per-Mile Road Tax Program

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Alisonsbankacct, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    Would you rather pay at the pump or have a State device in your car that charges 1.5 cents per mile to your credit card each month?

---

Last week, Oregon became the first state in the U.S. to give drivers the option to be taxed by the mile instead of by the fuel they use.

The idea is that as cars become more fuel efficient, drivers spend less money on gas, resulting in less money for the Oregon Department of Transportation to spend on improvements for roads and bridges.

This new tax treats all cars the same, regardless of their fuel efficiency, and charges drivers based on the wear and tear they put on the road.

Under the new program, called OReGO, drivers will only pay for the miles they drive.

“It’s a fair and sustainable way to fund road maintenance, preservation and improvements for all Oregonians,” according to a statement on the OReGOprogram website.

Oregon’s new pay-per-mile roads fee requires volunteers to install a device on their car that collects data on how much they drive.

Using OReGO, drivers will pay one-and-a-half cents per mile they drive. Then, drivers will receive a credit to offset the 30 cents per gallon gas taxes they pay at the pump.

The state is in the trial phases of this voluntary tax initiative and the transportation department has recruited 5,000 volunteer drivers to try the program.

Oregon aims to eventually replace gasoline gallon taxes with per-mile taxes.

“If you look at your water, power and other utility bills, you pay by how much you use. Transportation funding should operate the same way,” Art James, a volunteer in the program testified on the OReGO website.

Oregonians can use the OReGO calculator to discover if this new tax would save or cost them money. For example, a driver who drives 700 miles a month with a car that receives 25 miles per gallon would see a monthly increase of $2.10 with OReGO compared to the state gasoline tax.

“It’s not necessarily designed to save people money,” explained Michael Sargent, a research associate at The Heritage Foundation who specializes in transportation and infrastructure.

Rather, Oregon is trying out a new method to see if there is a better way to tax everybody who uses the road.

“Each state has their own unique needs and they should be able to experiment with ways to fund their own transportation systems free from burdensome federal mandates,” Sargent said.

While the new tax aims to implement a more equitable method of collecting taxpayer dollars for roads based on usage, it comes with some privacy and security concerns.

WUT7272G7C and Shortwave98 like this.
  2. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm curious how the tax burden is differentiated between passenger cars and tractor trailers. Cars do little or no damage to the roads they are traveling, heavy trucks do most of the damage. Are passenger cars subsidizing the trucking industry?

3. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wait, everyone supposed to pay their fair share

4. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    if I drive 100 miles a week in my Honda civic
    and some other dude drives 80 in his full size dodge ram
    isn't he still likely to cause more wear and tear on the road?

5. Alisonsbankacct

Reputations:
    Exactly. It seems they could better regulate this with DMV / registration fees

Shortwave98 likes this.
  6. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So if I drive from a city in Oregon, say Portland, to a city in Washington, say Seattle, do I get taxed for miles driven in Oregon plus Washington? Or does the tax stop when I cross the boarder? Sounds like another screwball tax plan to me.

TeeDonkey, stanggirl, tomg and 2 others like this.
  7. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    Why don't they just get it over with and offer the chip implant under the skin.
    Sure sign me up.

[​IMG]

Droog, deadbeat, stanggirl and 4 others like this.
  8. Alisonsbankacct

Reputations:
    I'm sure it's paranoid but we refused our auto insurance's offer of a 5% discount to use their in-car "safe driver" monitoring device.

9. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
    If you sit, I'll tax your seat
    If you get cold, I'll tax the heat
    If you walk, I'll tax your feet.

10. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    it's just the governments way of keeping tabs on it's citizens daily whereabouts. Making tax revenue off it is just the gravy.

11. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Tell the government to go fuck them self's. What's next charging to walk down the street.

stanggirl likes this.
  12. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Pay at the pump follow oil dropped 8 fucking dollars in to days never moved at the pump. ( price) if it ever went up 8 $ it would have flew up. All a scam.

13. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...why dont they just start a gofundme page? i thought oregonians were on the cutting edge of things of this nature.

yaddc and Alisonsbankacct like this.
  14. imissalison

imissalison f**k Mutt

Reputations:
    I thought going to more fuel efficient cars was a good thing!?!? So, with more efficiency, they get less $. Got it. Similar thing happened to the local water system here in suburban Detroit. More people are buying energy efficient washing machines, shower heads, etc. They were taking in less money and had to raise prices. No other business is allowed to operate like this. If they do, they go out of business. Fucking ponderous man, just ponderous.

TeeDonkey, Droog, jake206 and 3 others like this.
  15. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    if you aren't getting enough tax cash from the pumps due to fuel efficient cars and whatnot
    don't you just raise that tax to get what you were getting?

sure nobody is gonna like it--but I can't imagine this is any more popular
    and this had to be more costly to implement than just adding a couple cents to the price of a gallon of gas

16. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i like to drill holes into the pavement and fuck the living daylights out of it.

How come I'm not getting taxed

17. Alisonsbankacct

Reputations:
    You, too?

yaddc likes this.
  18. imissalison

imissalison f**k Mutt

Reputations:
    The government is used to living a certain lifestyle. Just like when two rich people are getting a divorce, the wife needs 175k per month because she is used to a certain lifestyle. Government can't live like normal people.

19. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    They do that in CA, I pay an extra $200 for my large pickup as a weight fee.

20. Alisonsbankacct

Reputations:
    That makes sense to me.

We have the little smart cars all over the city now and it sure seems they shouldn't be assessed at the same impact as a loaded Hummer

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Shortwave98 likes this.