Over 20 years as a Howard listener, I have now switched to the enemy

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by tomtom, Feb 23, 2012.

1. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ever since i got the car with built in xm I started listening to Opie and Anthony. Years of hearing how they suck from Howard. Now I know why he put them down. They are funny, they were a threat to his numbers.

They have a comedian sometimes two or three, in studio with them daily. They took a bit getting used to as I said, 20+ years of Howard took some de tuning. but they are funny, witty and best of all they are like regular guys. They like to play video games, shoot guns, talk cars and UFC. When they get a guest in they don't ask the same tired questions Howard asks. They make money, not as much as Howard and aren't out of touch with reality and the everyman.

They work 5 days a week and they get guests in all the time. The best is you hear a celebrity on their show, a good one and on the weekend Lisa G will play a blurb where she caught the guy in the Sirius hallway and got the guy to say he was a Howard fan.

What was the clincher was the Jesse James interview. I listened to Opie and Anthony that night and they had him on too. Their interview with him was head and shoulders better than Howard's.

I had the best of sirius with internet and dropped them for just XM. Don't be afraid to give them a try.

2. Joe Mamaw

Joe Mamaw New Member

Reputations:
    I gave them multiple tries. they're just awful IMO. remind me of Bob & Tom. doesn't matter if they had Jesus Christ and Barack Obama as guests they're soo fucking annoying I just can't take it. Norton is funny but that's about it.

if your tired of Howard and want to listen to something else I rec d'l ing The Phil Hendrie Show 1999 -2006 . torrents are available on TPB

3. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Not biased to either party at this point, but when and where were they a threat to his numbers?

I mean I knew they were doing good pre-Catholic church bang or whatever but I thought it was pretty lightly regional syndication, nothing close to national. And then when they did go national nobody gave a shit.

4. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They have and have always had listeners, their targeted demograph is same as howard's. If howard had 75% and they had 25% that is a threat to howards numbers.

Howards demo should be 65 year old housewives now.

And comparing them to bob and tom? Not even close.

Im listening to worst of now, Jim Bruer is on. Great show. Hes better here than on howard.

5. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I listen to Ron and Fez...yes I know how sad..but AGT talk and William Shatner, Joan Rivers, David Arquette....have to change the channel.

6. imissalison

imissalison f**k Mutt

Reputations:
    Try the Carolla podcast. He's funny, little to no commercials, and his news women is funny and informative. Its free too.

7. La Flama Blanca

La Flama Blanca Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I don't mind the Mad Dog radio (other than Mad Dog). Any sports fan would enjoy Dino Costas. I can't get through ten minutes of Jay Thomas (five if Shuli is on).

8. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:
    Between Norton and Cumia I always laugh my ass off, it get's that much better when another comic(s) sits in.

9. skytzoboy

skytzoboy not a fuck to give

Reputations:
    I'm in the same boat. I picked up a new truck on Jan. 2nd, comes with XM so I've been listening to them on my commute. Gotta admit, I've laughed more at them in the past month and a half than I have at THSS since Artie left.

10. clintox

clintox New Member

Reputations:
    I switched to O&A when I got a new car last year. I agree with you on all points. It's like listening to a show hosted by real men for the first time in years.

11. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    O&A have a fucking awesome show. It is, without exaggeration, at least 10X better than THSS has been in years. They're obviously not as famous as Howard, but that's a stupid yardstick to measure them by. They show up to work 5 fucking days a week and produce funny.

Howard badmouthed them because they competed with him for his demographic. Plus, they were younger and arguably "more hip" than he was in the late 1990s. Hell, Howard admitted he dropped Dee Snyder as a friend because he took a gig (in Connecticut I think) where he was opposite Howard in the a.m. That's how fucking pathetic Howard is...he savages anybody who might be competing with him for a morsel of ratings.

12. RockoBalbono

RockoBalbono Member

Reputations:
    Are you fucking out of your mind? I'm a 28 year fan of Stern and there ain't no way, no way in hell that I would consider changing the channel when anything he does is on live or not. This is bullshit.:mad:

(ya know thats something I never considered. Listening to them after being told how bad they are. Guess I can try tomorrow)!:D

13. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I love their show, I won't listen to any other. Their most boring segments are funnier and more entertaining than Howard's best. I LOL at each show they do several times. I'm backed up and listening to shows from late November. Over Christmas on a long 1300 mile drive I listened to them all the way. 46 hours round trip. Love the show. Every time I get in the car and go somewhere I have my iPod touch on and am listening to them. 20 or 30 minutes of their show is more entertaining than Howard is in a year.

14. DogStar69

Reputations:
    Opie is the least funny of the 3 on mic, and he's still a million times funnier than Howard. Everyone doesn't get his humor but when he starts busting on Fez and everyone pretends that he is in trouble it's funny as shit. He's also good at instigation shit that makes for uncomfortable funny radio. Sam and Erock are even funnier than Howard.

15. Joe Mamaw

Joe Mamaw New Member

Reputations:
    hyperbole much? srsly you sound like an O&A version of djenkin or Bobo

16. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    do they wear John Varvatos?
    How many chimneys do they have?

17. Big Bird

Big Bird New Member

Reputations:
    I tried Carolla, he is hard on the ears.. I rather listen to O&A, I gave them a chance last year and they are good.. As with everything I wont agree with everything they say or be interested in all their takes.. But overall they are solid.

18. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    SiriusXM is hiding real numbers. I have no clue why. They know how many people are listening to what.

19. DogStar69

Reputations:
    No they have their bad parts too, ant is a militant Republican racist. Some might think that's good.

I hate Howard as much as djekins and bobo likes him, that's all.

20. DogStar69

Reputations:
    Obviously Howard got a pay cut, and Sirius caved in and still paid him outrageous money and let him work part time or less. Sirius knows the deal, they are just keeping him for his name, that's what they use Oprah for, her name.