Owning an old cat

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by McLennison, Apr 5, 2015.

1. McLennison

McLennison VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I know "someone" who has a 17 year old cat. He is not very "sick" so to speak. But he does have an eye issue, maybe cataracts, maybe something else. He does see, how well who knows, and his hearing his fine. The vet thinks a thyroid problem but just the diagnostic tests run into hundreds of dollars never mind the actual treatment. He pukes on the carpet (the ones they actually find) about 5 times a week and sometimes they find little shit balls around the house. He also sometimes scrapes his ass on the rug after taking a dump. He constantly needs attention, he will stare at you and meow non-stop every waking minute. It is incredibly grating on the nerves listening to "meow" everywhere you go the entire day and having to watch your steps in fear of tripping over him as he is always right at your feet. The vet said he doesn't seem to have any kind of pain, just needs lots of attention. Google says the onset of senility is a common reason. The nights are tough as he gets into a meow fit once or twice a night as they attempt to sleep. The kids are out of the house so it's just Mr and Mrs 55+ year old to take care of him. And they ain't getting any younger so the patience factor is rapidly disappearing. He's been a house cat his whole life and is deathly afraid of strangers. A relocation would be too traumatic for him. Just getting him into the car to go to the vet is a nightmare as he has peed in the car on the way and gives that low meow groan the whole way. Is it an awful thought to have him put down? Is this an accepted yet untalked about practice? Ugh.

2. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    I had a co-worker who dumped nearly $5,000 into trying to keep her 16 year-old cat alive. The money prolonged the cat's life by two months.

I fix/feed strays in my neighborhood, as do a few others. We live near farms. Getting a new cat costs nothing, really.

It hurts for a while to put down an old cat, but it needs to be done.

IfTheyOnlyKnew and smichal like this.
  3. Remley

Remley Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You may want to check with another vet just for a second opinion. I would suspect stomach tumor or abdominal tumor. I think he's howling more in discomfort than senility. An ultrasound will reveal this. The end result however is the same.

I doubt I'd spend a lot on lab diagnostic reports... I believe in quality of life, not just treating the chart and prolonging a poor cat's life when he's falling apart.

Cats should always be transported in a carrier, no pee in the car, no frightened cat jumping on the drivers head, etc.

It's more "awful" to prolong the suffering of an animal obviously in distress. I know this isn't easy on your "friend", so don't be too tough on "him." Cradle your buddy in your arms in a comfy blanket and let the vet ease him on out gently.

Good luck.

IfTheyOnlyKnew and OV like this.
  4. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    Cage him at night.
    Sounds like thyroid for sure. He needs meds.
    He freaks out at night because he can't see. His vision is probably better during the day.
    Start feeding him wet food. His poop might soften up.

smichal and OV like this.
  5. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    No. But if his owners are okay with giving him constant care and he's not in pain ( although the constant puking indicates he might be ) I see no issue with letting him stay here on earth a little longer. Hate ppl who keep their suffering pets alive for *their* emotional comfort though.

smichal likes this.
  6. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    You're getting some good advice.. if he doesn't appear to be in duress, and if his "Quality of Life" is decent for a geezer, I'd check with another vet but not be so fast in taking the convenient way out by putting down an old faithful, loving friend... cuz I've been there/done that and many years later still have remorse I wasn't more patient. But be that as it may, maybe that's just me. :dontknow:

smichal likes this.
  7. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    My cat had a thyroid issue the last couple years of his life. The cost of the meds was next to nothing, his bowel and other functions improved right away and he was comfortable and "himself" again until near the very end.

BooeyBanana, Thelma, smichal and 2 others like this.
  8. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    I had my cat Mr Jinx put down, he was 18. I had to, he had cancer, was in a lot of pain. there was no humane alternative

smichal likes this.
  9. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The decision to put down an animal should be based on the quality of their life, not yours.

10. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Shoot, I had to put an 8 year-old cat down last year.

For a while I worked at a refinery, and there were literally hundreds of cats living on the huge 5,000 acre property. I routinely got a half-dozen at a time fixed and found homes for many, but it was like peeing into the wind.

I would get them fixed, bring them home to domesticate them, and get them adopted. One of my ferals just never got acclimated in my home to make a good adoptee. I kept him around from age 1, but he was always way too skittish to be a pet.

He got an enlarged colon somehow and could not poop. The vet cleaned him out twice, we tried meds, and we just couldn't get him right. I fully admit that since he was still 60% feral and we couldn't fix him, it was the right choice to put him down.

smichal likes this.
  11. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    If they don't want to spend the money necessary to get him the medical care he obviously needs, they should just put him down already. He's already at the end of his life, it sounds like he might have more than just one expensive medical issue, it's only going to get worse for him and them, and there's not going to be a specific day where they can suddenly determine that the quality of his life is shit. The thyroid thing alone costs a couple of grand to fix right (we just did that last fall) and the other option is to struggle forcing a pill down his throat twice a day...something that will only reduce his quality of life further. From the cat's perspective, being put down feels no different than being put out for medical procedures, whereas being stuffed into the carrier for the vet to check his blood every other month on the pill is torture from his perspective.

HorsetoothBeth likes this.
  12. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
  13. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    Those things only worked for us for a couple of weeks until he figured out how to eat around the pill and just leave most of a mushy pill in his bowl. Other times, he'd just refuse them outright.

14. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    if you are not the "someone", mind your own beeswax and let them care for the cat. If it bothers you, don't go there. 55 is not old.

OV and Alisonsbankacct like this.
  15. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Alisonsbankacct and smichal like this.
  16. HorsetoothBeth

HorsetoothBeth Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ugh. Memories.
    My Emma was "only" 13 when we put her down. She had been puking frequently..actually for a few years. We chalked it up to her being nervous and bothered by Brooklyn, the new cat..who was obsessed with her and had to be near her 24/7. She started to lose weight in her back end. Again, being naive we chalked it up to her age..so we started buying the heavy gravy, soft foods in hopes of fattening her up. One weekend I saw pinkish puddles here and there all over the kitchen floor. I was in denial and didn't want to accept what I knew was coming. The next day I saw her drinking an entire bowl of water in one sitting and knew. I remember waking up the night before and found her lying next to my face, purring louder than ever. (my eyes are welling up right now) She was even more clingy than usual and wanted me to hold her constantly. I caught her squatting for 1-2 seconds all over the living room-with blood left behind. I woke my husband up and said "I can't do this. You have to take her now." I grabbed Brooklyn so he could say goodbye and loaded her in the cage. My husband took her on the long trip to the vet. He said she cried all the way there and he admitted that he wept and sobbed all the way. He held her while they put her down so he would be the last thing she saw. The vet said she was about a week away from her kidneys separating and complete failure. I will never again wait so long to address the situation. I held on to her for my own selfish reasons and now I know she must have been suffering. Now she's buried on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

smichal likes this.
  17. JFK

JFK Ask not what your country can do for you.

Reputations:
    I second this guy. Get a second opinion and clearly ask: What's the deal with is quality of life? Is he suffering now and will it get worse?

18. Remley

Remley Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sad story, I have been through it also and made the same vow as you to never put one of my pals through such suffering again. It just hurts so much to lose them but the loving thing to do is to ease their pain.

HorsetoothBeth likes this.
  19. Remley

Remley Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Had the same result, he ate about 2 or 3, then figured it out quick. I hate trying to give cats meds. I'll do it but it's a challenge every time.

20. Nibbler

Nibbler heaven is in your mind Gold

Reputations:
    There's nothing I want to say to the OP, because I'm horrified by what he's thinking of doing for the reason he wants to do it, and I have nothing nice to say to him, but this Remley person is wonderful. I love him.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    smichal likes this.