P90x

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jyanks, Jan 12, 2013.

1. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I got P90x for Christmas & just started it.
    Is anyone else doing this or has tried this in the past? Any tips/advice is appreciated.
    I just finished Day 5 - Legs/Back.

2. BethsZygote

BethsZygote In Utero VIP

Reputations:
    I tried it one day after hearing Nick DePaolo talk about it constantly.

I prefer to just do free weights and my bowflex :dontknow:

I did buy a chin/pull up bar, they are great exercises, but if you do free weights and organize the workouts properly (arms shoulders one day, back chest another, etc) the chinup/pullup bar ends up being too much compound workout (chinups are upper back and triceps [read:same day]).

Break a leg. I never went beyond the first workout, wanted to fire up the plyometrics (sp?) one day...

3. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I didn't get the chin up bar, and frankly, I'm not sure if I trust the foundation of my Condo.
    But I double up on my pushups when Tony does chin ups.
    The plyometrics was the most fun of all the tapes (so far as of Day 5). Give it a try!
    Tomorrow is Kenpo for me!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  4. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    i hear it's hard but totally worth it.

I have always wanted to give it a try, but i don't want to spend too much money on fitness. Good running shoes and socks is as far as I'll go, But i'll follow you if you update this thread, and maybe i'll change my mind.

there's a dental message board i'm on that has a P90x thread and it is VERY popular, and been going for years. Great thread! good luck.

5. MisterSeven

MisterSeven New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I am thinking of purchasing p90x. Let me know how you like it. I LOVE Turbo Jam (stupid name I know) with Chalene Johnson but would like a change.

6. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    I have been thru P90x and Insanity many times and even though they are all great workouts they do become monotonous.

P90 If you follow the diet and recovery drink (which is good by the way) and do high reps with low weight you will get lean. As for me I got more muscle mass than I wanted that is why I switched over to insanity for cardio.

Dont get me wrong the P90 does get your heart rate up if you push youself
    The good thing about it is you can set your own pace and not stroke out.

I really enjoyed the Yoga, but it is a long workout. Ab ripper X is awsome as well
    The most hated workout in that set was the recovery week workout. My ass it is recovery, there is one exercise that you are standing in a horse/squat position doing arm circle that will make you tell your TV to go and fuck itself.

If I had to choose between the 2 I like the insanity better, even though I curse that fucker as well. Esp the Pure Cardio one.

Any questions feel free to ask.

I would recommend getting the pull up bar, but protect your door trim with something otherwise it will get all fucked up and black. And i am only 200lbs.

Yoga Blocks needed at times. A nice mat so you are not inhaling carpet fibers. You will see why. and it protects your carpet from all the jumping and moving. Dumbells are good ranging from 10lbs to 40lbs is good.
    Oh and you will need a stool or a wood chair for dips and other exercises.

Insanity you only need a sweat rag and space.

7. MisterSeven

Reputations:
    Insanity you only need a sweat rag and space.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, Insanity.
    hmmmm.....I could borrow a friend's copy of Insanity--it'd be free. But, I don't want to be less than 18 BMI, and it might be too time consuming.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  8. Goo For You

Goo For You New Member

Reputations:
    I think I got constipated last year by doing Ab Ripper X too much. FWIW.:D

Insanity cardio is also great.:thumbup2:

9. MisterSeven

Reputations:
    Lay off the heroin.
    jk. Thanks for the recommendation.

10. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    Oh yes, Insanity.
    hmmmm.....I could borrow a friend's copy of Insanity--it'd be free. But, I don't want to be less than 18 BMI, and it might be too time consuming.[/QUOTE]

time consuming? not really the insanity workout range from the beginner ie 1st month at 40 minutes to advances up to 60 min. each of these workouts have about a 10 min warm up with 6-7 min of streching and a 4 min cool down. So the actual work out is avg 25 min to 45 min. I skip the cool down cause fuck the cool down, that is why

11. Goo For You

Goo For You New Member

Reputations:
    Fun fact I heard either on Howard or on Penn's sunday school: the P90x guy used to be a comedian!

Oh and to kill the monotony, podcasts are a must. The more challenging, the more they take your mind off the grind.:thumbup2:

12. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    I downloaded p90x a couple years ago and watched it a few times. It was exhausting. I can't imagine actually doing the exercises.

13. Wonder Trash

Wonder Trash Active Member

Reputations:
    I picked up P90X several years ago and mix that with my usual mountain biking.

What Dr.Sublux says about P90X is right on.

14. MisterSeven

Reputations:

time consuming? not really the insanity workout range from the beginner ie 1st month at 40 minutes to advances up to 60 min. each of these workouts have about a 10 min warm up with 6-7 min of streching and a 4 min cool down. So the actual work out is avg 25 min to 45 min. I skip the cool down cause fuck the cool down, that is why[/QUOTE]

lol. yer dang funny.
    I could do that workout 3 days a week, would that be sufficient?

15. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    lol. yer dang funny.
    I could do that workout 3 days a week, would that be sufficient?[/QUOTE]

anything is better than nothing. when I was doing it I did it Mon thru Thur and either sat and sunday or just one day. Start off doing 3 days,but you will want to do it more once you see the results.

16. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Thank you for your advice, DrSub -
    I'm on week 2 - so far so good. The hardest workout (for me) has been the Chest video. My entire body aches afterwards - ugh!
    I love the plyometrics, arms, yoga & legs. I haven't done the Ab Ripper yet - my trainer wants me to wait until Week 3 to start that DVD & then only do it once a week.
    I am also adding in 1-2 additional cardio workout at my gym too - either treadmill or elliptical or spin class - as per my trainer.
    But I'm in it for the long haul! I will keep you posted.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  17. DrSublux

DrSublux Who am dis VIP

Reputations:
    oh and if you use the bands for your pull up portion, make damn sure you have a good hook. I had that sucker snap off the hook and right into my face and eye.

If you have a pull up bar, make sure you have a stool or a chair in front of you to get extra reps out of the pull ups otherwise you will be standing there for 30 seconds until they are done. Just saying. No matter how good I got at them I still couldnt keep up with tony

18. thegame310

thegame310 Member

Reputations:
    I just started Insanity on Monday (Day 5 is today) now I admit, I'm a fat fuck with a beer belly (275) and I'm not really watching the scale everyday, I just want to fit better into my clothes and what not, and it's been kicking my ass.

19. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I bought a bootleg copy of p90X, and ... I HATED it! I could not STAND the instructor! :nooo:

20. Goo For You

Goo For You New Member

Reputations:
    ^ Haha, I actually think that counts as a plus.

Remember the part where he goes "I hate it -- but I love it"?

Yeah, I fucking hate your mug -- but the hate gives me extra strength!:D:D:D