Pacific Rim

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by nearly.normal, Jul 13, 2013.

1. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fuck Iron Man, Star Trek rinse and repeat movie, Man of repetition and boredom, and World War ZZzzzzzzzz......

THIS is the popcorn movie of the summer.

Action, enormity, monsters, fights, enormous action fights, giant robots, aliens, giant robots fight enormous alien monsters and what all the rest of the movies were missing .. real heart. (and Charlie Day)

Walk quickly,.... don't just walk to see this movie.

[​IMG]

2. Markijuano

Markijuano Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great movie! I'm going to watch it again for sure

3. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    GO GO GODZILLA!!!

Great Movie.... Makes you feel like a kid a gain and has easily a dozen "HOLY SHIT" moments...

4. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Looks like fun to me.

Giant monsters. Giant robots. Giant battles.

It's not Driving Miss Daisy, that's for sure.

5. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
  6. nearly.normal

Reputations:
    I really wanted to see it in Imax but do not dig 3D movies at all... but... even tho it wasn't all officially shot in 3D, this was done right and it's all thanks to del Toro.

Though del Toro originally stated that Pacific Rim would not be released in 3D, it was announced last week that it would, indeed, be post-converted for a 3D release. In a recent interview, del Toro explained the change. On why he changed his mind on post-converting Rim for 3D – courtesy of Shock Till You Drop - del Toro said:

What happened was, in the weeks and months following Comic-Con, what I asked from the studio was to agree to four points that I wanted to do. The more the ILM shots arrived, the more I realized that there were only a few shots that would miniaturize. I asked the studio, number one, that we would not hyper-stereo-lize the thing. That we would not force 3D on the beauty shots. That we would keep the giant dimensions. They agreed.

“Number two, they agreed to something very unusual. Normally a conversion takes a few weeks. I asked to start it immediately so we could take the full 40 weeks to do the conversion. As an example, ‘Titanic’ took about 50 weeks to convert. The final thing that I asked that they agreed to, which was amazing, was that I asked them to give me an extra budget, which is considerable, to actually have ILM composite the shots that are CG native 3D. We’re not giving elements. ILM is giving the composite in 3D from the get-go. That’s a huge, huge element. Now I’m going to be involved in supervising it. What can I tell you? I changed my mind. I’m not running for office. I can do a Romney.”

http://screenrant.com/guillermo-del-toro-pacific-rim-3d-conversion-the-strain/

7. SalsMasterShake

Reputations:
    All Pacific Rim needed was my childhood hero, Ultraman!

[​IMG]

8. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    Waiting to see it in IMax next week. Did you see it in 3D? Wondering if 3D is worth it??

9. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    See it in IMAX 3d or Non 3d. If you see it in non IMAX 3d it will be flat and not enough light you'll miss alot of the detail in the shots.

Best 3d movie I've seen in this era of 3d conversions.

10. Markijuano

Reputations:
    Since I only do 9 am shows they wouldn't fire up the IMAX for the 7 people in there but the 3-D was so well done. My even the love story and the father son element were well done

11. nearly.normal

Reputations:
    Actually 3D movies are 30-35% darker than their non 3D counterparts. So you would see more detail and brightness in non 3D versions.

Personally I would never suggest a 3D version of any movie not fully shot in 3D but in this instance I would say Imax first then 3D if you have too only because it was tastefully done. And at del Toro's insistance none of the huge fight scenes have any 3D effect added to them so you are not gaining or losing anything by seeing those scenes in 3D.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  12. nearly.normal

Reputations:
    Pacific Rim is a massive undertaking in terms of special effects requirements, as well as the sci-fi concepts present in Travis Beacham’s original script draft – such as robotic machinery operated by a “neurological bridge” between humans – not to mention, the plot involves sky-scraping robots battling similarly-massive creatures from another dimension.
    However, at Comic-Con, director Guillermo del Toro revealed that he resisted utilizing certain modern-effects tools (ex. motion-capture) that similar large-scale productions (Avatar, The Avengers) have relied upon – as it would not have fit his approach. It’s for similar reasons the filmmaker refrained from shooting Pacific Rim in 3D, while expressing little to no interest in converting the project to 3D during post-production.

Warner Bros., on the other hand, isn’t so hesitant about post-converting films to 3D. Filmmaking is, after all, a business first, a form of artistic expression second – from the investor’s perspective, that is – and the studio has significantly boosted its financial returns on big-budget fare with post-3D in the past (see: the Harry Potter and Clash of the Titans franchises). Hence, it’s not surprising to learn that Warner Bros. has “strong-armed” del Toro in post-converting Pacific Rim to 3D, as Variety puts it. Here is del Toro’s previous explanation for why he did not shoot Pacific Rim in 3D:
    “Originally there was a discussion that took a long time to overcome that was to make the movie 3D. And I didn’t want to make the movie 3D because when you have things that big… the thing that happens naturally, you’re looking at two buildings lets say at 300 feet [away], if you move there is no parallax. They’re so big that, in 3D, you barely notice anything no matter how fast you move. To force the 3D effects for robots and monsters that are supposed to be big you are making their [perspective] miniaturized, making them human scale.”

13. StRyDeRxX

StRyDeRxX Bling Bling Gold

Reputations:
    Don't forget Voltron!

[​IMG]

14. Markijuano

Reputations:
    Nothing beats Transformers

[​IMG]

15. SalsMasterShake

Reputations:
    Oh, hell yeah!

Hanging up in my bedroom...

[​IMG]

16. Markijuano

Reputations:
    Da fahk

17. Markijuano

Reputations:
  18. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I saw it today too. It's a fun watch and looks amazing! It cost 200 million dollars, and it's all up there on the screen.

My only gripe is I felt it's largely forgettable. Which may actually be fortuitous, as it ensures repeat viewings..

That being said, Guillermo Del Toro doesn't really make bad movies (except Hellboy 2), and this was no exception.

19. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Pacific Rim Job. On the menu at every Asian Massage Parlor.

20. John

John Member VIP

Reputations: