News "Pawn Stars" star Chumlee taking plea deal to avoid jail

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, May 23, 2016.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    chumlee-mug-shot.jpg
    LAS VEGAS -- One of the stars of the reality TV show "Pawn Stars" told a judge on Monday he's taking a plea deal that would spare him jail time in a case stemming from the discovery of guns, marijuana and other drugs at his Las Vegas home.

Austin Lee Russell, who is known as "Chumlee" to television viewers, said he'll plead guilty to a felony weapon charge and a misdemeanor attempted drug possession count in an agreement that will get him counseling and three years' probation.

If he stays out of trouble until 2019, the felony charge would be dismissed and Russell would be left with only a misdemeanor conviction on his record.

If he doesn't, he'll face two to five years in state prison on the weapon possession charge.

Russell and his attorneys, David Chesnoff and Richard Schonfeld, didn't comment as they left court. They're due back June 1 to enter Russell's pleas in Clark County District Court.

Chesnoff said later they were "gratified that a thorough investigation by both the police and the defense can lead to a just result."

An official with A&E Network and the History Channel said "Pawn Stars" is not currently in production and there has been no change in Russell's status on the show.

Russell, 33, was arrested March 9 after police serving a warrant in a sex assault case found a small arsenal of weapons, a gallon plastic bag of pot, anxiety medication and a small amount of methamphetamine at his home.

Russell wasn't arrested on a sex crime allegation, and no charge was filed in that case.

"The case will end, with court approval, without any allegation of sexual assault," Chesnoff said Monday.

Prosecutor James Sweetin declined to comment.

The type of counseling Russell will undergo wasn't specified. John Pacult, the Las Vegas licensed clinical social worker named in the plea agreement, didn't immediately respond to messages. However, one of his specialties is counseling sex offenders, according to his Internet website.

The plea agreement calls for Russell to surrender the drugs and 12 guns police reported seizing at Russell's home.

The weapons range from registered handguns to a shotgun and assault-style MP5 and .223-caliber rifles that were not registered, police said.

Almost 5 ounces of marijuana was found in jars and plastic bags in varying amounts, according to a police report, including one large Ziploc bag containing more than 4 ounces. Police also reported finding the anxiety drug Xanax and some methamphetamine.

"The weapons were not there for any criminal purpose, and Austin recognizes that the possession and use of marijuana is prohibited by the law except in certain circumstances," Chesnoff told The Associated Press.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pawn-stars-star-chumlee-taking-plea-deal-to-avoid-jail/

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  2. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    What exactly is 'attempted drug possession'?

You either possess it or you don't.

DinnerSocks and Biff DiBiase like this.
  3. slab0meat

slab0meat negative creep

Reputations:
    If you have some and I try to buy some from you, but fail?

:dontknow:

Rockside7 likes this.
  4. SuperFarts

SuperFarts Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I find that whole concept so bizarre.

"We got nothing on you for the original charges but since we found some other shit, youre in trouble anyway".

SMH.

5. Thrasher-HD

Thrasher-HD Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    he's just a douchbag

SuperFarts likes this.
  6. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    " I don't know much about plea deals but I have a buddy who does. Do you mind if I call him in?"

7. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's why good lawyers get what they demand.

reno and Chrisboom like this.
  8. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Money talks bull shit walks

9. Chicken Soda

Chicken Soda Unknown Member

Reputations:
    Originally they offered him a 2 year deal, but he called in one of his expert buddies to look it over.

Rabid Dogman and Shady_Jake like this.
  10. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

He absolutely ruined that show.

With that ridiculous too stupid to walk routine, not to mention those teeth of his which are bright enough to cause solar flares and change the tides.

Good riddance.

11. YinzerMasshole

YinzerMasshole VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The judge responded, "Ugh....Best I could do is 2-5 years... I mean, I gotta run a business here. There's depreciation, it's gonna sit on the shelf for awhile... There's not that big a market for rich fat fuck ups in jail..."

12. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    good deal...he skated

13. tecate

tecate PACOIMA!!! VIP

Reputations:
    She would of been a hell of a head doctor in the yard behind jared and his 6 and a half in long !

14. BLOW ME

BLOW ME Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    anxiety medication and a small amount of methamphetamine at his home.
    :scratch:

15. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    5 ounces = ice cream where i come from.

16. MorningSong13

MorningSong13 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    "Rich fat fuck ups are pretty popular right now, but I'm going to call up a friend of mine who is an expert on rich fat fuck ups to come down and take a look at you"

YinzerMasshole likes this.
  17. Dan

Dan Do you like my car?

Reputations:
    Dude got some cash and wanted to party like a gangsta. He is living his dream, and Big Hoss is probably right behind him.

Winston Leg-Thigh likes this.
  18. Macro57

Macro57 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wonder how he answered question 11-e on his 4473 form when he bought his weapons? - "Firearms Transaction Record"
    If he had lied on any of those questions, wouldn't that have been another jailable offense?

19. sparty89

sparty89 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It seems like it's mainly used by prosecutors in plea agreements, to get the defendant to accept the non-attempt charge, rather than having to try the case.

Rockside7 likes this.
  20. Winston Leg-Thigh

Winston Leg-Thigh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This.

He became rich beyond his wildest dreams and instead of buying a lake house, settling down and living the rest of his life in leisure, he spent his money on limited edition sneakers and blue pit-bulls. Play wigger games, win wigger prizes.

Dan and Rabid Dogman like this.