Peace Loving Religion.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Beths Arab, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Beths Arab

Beths Arab Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I try to be as open minded and tolerant as possible regarding religious beliefs but more and more it seems that anything relating to Muslims is Chaos, hatred and terror.
    Is there anyone here that can explain to me what part of the Muslim faith is peace loving and why killing everyone that doesn't agree with them is a standard go to for what appears to be anyone that worships Allah?
    I seriously don't get it.:dontknow:

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-man-fighting-alongside-terrorist-group-in-iraq-1.1878796

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  2. fredrogers

fredrogers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  3. MFnAntiChrist

MFnAntiChrist Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I detest religion and don't know much about muslims but I have a couple muslim friends and they are both pretty solid dudes. I try to accept people for who they are. A foreign belief for many.:dontknow:

4. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
  5. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    i have friends from work, a married couple. she converted from irish cath to muslim for him. they had 5 kids. 3 years ago they both became disgusted with the way the religion and communities have changed and their whole family converted to judiasm (don't really understand that choice, other than we are kind of cousins to islam).

6. fredrogers

Reputations:
    Exactly.

7. fredrogers

Reputations:
    I worked with a strict Egyptian Muslim for 11 years and he was one of the nicest guys I've ever known. Doesn't change the fact that their main holy book is awash in vitriol against non believers.

8. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Watch out kid, he's a radical Muslim flying a plane.:c

9. HoBe

HoBe New Member

Reputations:
    Its an Abrahamic religion, why would it be peaceful.

10. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    You know any religions that are peaceful?

11. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    I have absolutely nothing positive to say for Islam itself, but honestly, every Muslim I've ever gotten to know is alright in my book. I had a few Pakistani friends in high school and they were great. There were quite a few Pakistani kids there and they were all good students, respectful and didn't cause trouble.

Somebody in my family has been sick and about a third of the doctors that she's seen were Indian...and I suspect Muslim Indians from their names. All have been incredibly good to her.

Less than 1% of the American population is Muslim. It's bordering on three million (including blacks that regard themselves as Muslims.) Not a huge number, but that's still a lot of people. The number of domestic terror attacks or attempts since 9-11 has been really low...and some of those were from converts. So it's worked out pretty well so far. There are no rallies calling for Shariah law or any of the shit that Europe's dealing with.

The only thing that scares me is when we bring in "refugees" like the Somalis who are being dropped off in cities across the country. The fact that a bunch of them have gone back to join Al-Shabab is pretty alarming.

12. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    Jainists are pretty peaceful...even though they fly the swastika.

13. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    The swastika they fly is the reverse of the nazi's? I don't see how they survived: you have to be really lame to have Buddhists exterminating you. Is it really a religion or more of a philosophy, since they don't really worship anything?

14. Chimney Portions

Reputations:
    Nah, it's a true swastika, not a sauwastika. [​IMG]

And yeah, they're lame...power-wise. I don't know if I'd call their beliefs "lame" in the modern pejorative sense. I guess it's kind of hard to thrive when you're committed pacifists surrounded by Hindus and Muslims.

They believe in souls and karma, so I think it should count as a religion.

Quakers seems to be pretty peaceful as well.

15. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    That seems to be the key: the "insider" "outsider" tribal nature of Abrahamic religions: even a cursory read of the Old Testament will give you plenty of fodder for deciding that those outside the faith are a constant threat and must be either avoided at all costs or done away with at all costs. The OT is more "historical" than is the Koran, and thus less repetitive on that point. But the basic themes are often the same, which is why the OT is so popular with some evangelical denominations.

16. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Of the 1763 wars in human history, only 123 have been motivated by religion. 66 of those were started by Muslims. Or over half of all religious wars - and the religion has only been around since the mid 600s. It's pretty obvious that they're more violent than most.

17. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think we are looking at the problem the wrong way. The problem is not the religious texts themselves - the problem is the kind of people who are doing the interpreting of these texts. For example, a psychotic murderous goon with dreams of being a Mafia-like warlord can, if he has enough charisma, use the more violent passages of the Koran to support a claim that all non-Muslims should be violently killed and that a great crusade is needed to do so. Unfortunately, there is no shortage of uneducated, addled, ambitionless people in the Muslim world, especially in poor countries like Somalia, who can easily be talked into joining this crusade because the crusade guarantees them food and shelter and also gives them a purpose. It has nothing to do with religious fervor. Personally, I don't believe that any of these Ayatollahs or other "leaders" are particularly religious - I think its all about the need to wield power. Religion is simply the tool.

People like to point to the OT passage "an eye for an eye" to justify a claim that the OT espoused violence and death. But as OT scholars have stated, as time passed this was no longer taken literally. People who caused injuries were required to pay money for these injuries - the forerunner of the tort system we have today. There was no actual "eye" gouged out. The Talmud states that by the time the Sanhedrins were convening in the times of the Second Temple, they would so seldom issue a death penalty that a Sanhedrin that issued a single death edict in 70 years was considered to be a "murderous" Sanhedrin.

In short, the passages are what they are - the danger lies not in the words, but in the violent, sick nature of the people doing the interpreting.

18. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There is one fundamental difference between Judaism and the other Abrahamic religions. Judaism applies to Jews only - under Jewish law, Gentiles are not obligated to carry out any of the laws in the OT, save the Seven Noahide Laws (don't steal, murder, worship idols, et al). It was not until the advent of Christianity, which claimed to be the successor to Judaism, that the OT laws were deemed to apply to everyone on the planet. The laws against eating pork, shellfish, et al - were never intended to apply to anyone other than Jews. Even the Torah texts themselves refer to these laws as a "yoke" that must be carried by the Jewish people.

One other fundamental difference - Judaism does not claim to be the only valid religion on the face of the Earth. Indeed, if you look through the OT you will find that the only religious practices that were banned were worship rites of stone and metal idols, or black magic rituals that involved the sacrifices of human beings (think Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom). The OT does not address religions that acknowledged the OT God as God, because (1) those did not exist in OT times and (2) those are not prohibited under Jewish law. Jewish law is for Jews. Judaism has no problem with Christianity or Islam per se, because at their core, these Abrahamic religions both recognize the God of the OT as God. There is no more idol worship, by and large. The problem arises when one religion, be it Christianity or Islam, states that it is the one "true" religion and that "access" to God can only be attained through the practice of that religion, and starts to persecute and kill anyone who does not agree.

That is one of the reasons why Jews don't proselytize. You never see people on the streets asking others to convert to Judaism. At best, you will find people who are looking for unobservant Jews and trying to get them to become more observant. If you're not Jewish, they won't bother you.

19. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    The Muslims were nice to Beth. The Arabs gave her lots of cash. Cha Ching!

20. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Bhudism