Pegasus Spyware

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by newcastlefan, Aug 27, 2016.

1. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    FYI: if you have an iPhone you should upgrade iOS to v9.3.5 released yesterday. It closes the exposure exploited by Pegasus (probably the most advanced spyware ever detected so far) used by the Feds to get into your phones.

If you have a Droid or Blackberry forget about it cause every govt already owns your phone.

walterHwhite likes this.
  2. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    On August 25 Apple advised all iPhone users to immediately install a security update to avoid being infected by the “Pegasus” spyware, which some experts are calling the “most sophisticated” software ever created to spy on smartphones.

The discovery of the Pegasus spyware on an iPhone came as a shock to the cyber security world. The software was created by the Israeli company NSO as a way to spy on Apple, Android and Blackberry smartphone users.

This cyber weapon is “by far the most sophisticated ever detected” on a mobile device, Gert-Jan Schenk, Europe and Middle East vice-president of Lookout – a company that analysed the virus – told FRANCE 24. He explained what is so unique about Pegasus.

FRANCE 24: What makes Pegasus different from other mobile spyware?

Gert-Jan Schenk: We’ve never seen spyware this sophisticated before. The user can’t detect the software on their smartphone, even after it has been contaminated. Plus, no data encryption can effectively protect against [Pegasus]. And its developers discovered three different security flaws that Apple didn’t know about.

If Pegasus can override data encryption, does that mean it is able to follow conversations on WhatsApp and Telegram?

You have to understand how Pegasus works. This spyware installs itself in the kernel of the phone – in other words at the heart of the operating system – which allows it to intercept conversations even before any encryption happens. It’s as if a spy could see what the user is typing on their keyboard. So basically the encryption of an app like WhatsApp or Telegram is useless against Pegasus.

Could this program be used to fight terrorist groups like the Islamic State (IS), some of whose members use Telegram?

Intelligence services can in effect use it for that purpose. It’s an unmatched tool for learning as much as possible about anyone since except for your spouse or partner, no one knows more about you than your phone.

Since regulation of cyber-weapons sales is very loose, NSO can decide to sell Pegasus to whomever they see fit. The company says that it will only sell the software to “authorised entities”, but they are the ones who decide what fits into that category. They could mean a repressive government or a state-run corporate espionage service. That regulatory vagueness is very dangerous when we’re talking about a digital weapon as dangerous as this.

But didn’t Apple issue a security update that should fix the problem?

First of all, the same software exists for Android and Blackberry, and we can assume that it is just as powerful. Second, Apple’s update only guarantees that Pegasus can no longer be installed on iPhones. But the spyware will continue to exist on smartphones that have already been contaminated, without the owners even noticing.

We’ll have to find out if the Apple update is effective against cyber spies who want to gain access to iPhones remotely.

This story was translated from the French original by Avi Davis

3. ChuckZ

ChuckZ You're so pusillanimous, oh yea.

Reputations:
    I hope my Tracfone is safe.

Mr Sinister and DarkFriday like this.
  4. LonghornJ

LonghornJ VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Technology is wonderful they said... everything will be so much more convenient they said.....

DarkFriday likes this.
  5. ChuckZ

Reputations:
    The Feds would be bored with my calls.

6. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    This is why Adama kept the Galactica off the network grid.

Mike likes this.
  7. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    Well it is convenient, for those able to pay.

8. Capn Crud

Capn Crud The Pride of Cucamonga VIP Gold

Reputations:
  9. ChuckZ

Reputations:

10. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
  11. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    Thanks Froggy

AlPachinosBaby likes this.
  12. Gomez

Gomez Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    so the heebs know that I post on dawgshed.com?

13. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits Gold

Reputations:
    I'm so scared the Feds will find out that me and my gf never can decide what we are going to have for dinner.

14. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    Some people actually use their email for work...

15. BethOsItchyHem

BethOsItchyHem Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They can suck my ass!. Oh did they just read that?.

16. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    well my employer instructed all of us to upgrade, so they must figure the feds and other govts (since we are everywhere) try to hack into our phones looking for anything useful. so, yes the feds probably know we post here and now they should be tracking you down. probably about those frilly panties you like to wear when nobody else is watching.

17. redshirt

redshirt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So, if viewed objectively with brand agnosticism, does it help security to have a closed system with one company holding the secrets, or an "open" system with millions of eyes able to do good/bad with it?

18. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Depends on response time to exploits. Truecrypt had a hole (slight) and even thought it was open nobody caught it. Apple seems on top of their shit for the most part but they are a huge target and I'm sure there are many zero-days being used on apple stuff. I guess my answer is you can't win cause code is bloated and complicated and written poorly all over the place.

redshirt likes this.